Fat burning supplements.. are they worth it???

Options

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking Cellucor Super HD pills. It's only been 3 days but I have increased energy, focus, and a suppressed appetite. So that's reason enough for me to keep taking them but I'm not sure how much it's doing for the fat burning itself - we'll see after I finish the bottle.

What happens when you stop taking them and your appetite returns? How do you plan on dealing with that? What will you have learned from it?

Ps. You burn fat by being in a calorie deficit. Taking weight loss at a sustainable pace will ensure you lose more fat than muscle (muscle helps you look leaner at goal). Also, resistance training like weightlifting would help as well.

Get your proper nutrients and caloric intake to fuel yourself, learn sustainable habits and toss the junk pills, seriously. You're better suited learning eating habits that leave you satiated then cheating yourself of that opportunity with appetite suppressants. I've lost 53 lbs in 9 months and wouldn't change that for the world.

The only reason I am taking them is because I have reached a plateau in my weight loss and need a little bit of a boost. I lost 50 pounds (before joining MFP and kept it off) without any type of supplement - just eating well and exercise. And that's what I'm doing now, just with a little bit of help.

I would look at intake and how accurate your logging is/was before turning to supplements. With less weight to lose, there's less room for error. Check out the success stories. You'll find people who've lost 100+ pounds without snake oil supplements. But by all means, if you want to waste your money, do so.
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    It's invalid because like I said, I wanted to take them later on if my energy levels are still low. Later on meaning when I'm eating 1,600 calories & have figured out more foods I can eat. The foods I added today didn't cause a problem. That's what I meant by it's working. I know IBS doesn't just magically go away. It takes time to take care of it with a special diet custom made for you. I don't want my appetite supressed & I don't want the body fat burning affects of the product, so I'll admit I was a bit dumb for posting this thread.. especially the title I gave it. Haha 10 points for me for bein a bit dumb! I'm taking all of yalls advice into consideration, even the ones worded not so nicely. I'll inform you, I have only been trying to take care of my IBS for 6 months when being diagnosed with it for 2 years. Again, I'm a dumbass. But even more than that, I lack knowledge in some areas that deal with IBS. So please, enough with the hate comments. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about what I can do with my problems. Another reason why this post is dumb.. I see my doctor soon about my fatigue. I guess when my friend told me about hydroxycut I got excited & wanted to know more about it. I'm impatient. It's quicker to go to the store & buy it than wait for my dr appt. But after yalls negative but helpful comments, I will wait. Thanks :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    missrudolf wrote: »
    Thank you all. I was looking into them because I have problems with being fatigued all the time. Caffeine just makes me more tired. I think my solution is to force myself to get up & move. Eventually my body will get used to being active... hopefully.

Yeah if your tiredness is from being active - I know it is said a lot that being more active gave people more energy but think about it, you're putting your body through the ringer in some cases, of course you'd be exhausted. I do find coffee and sleep (when you can) helps. You can also play with what time of the day you exercise. Morning vs evening etc one may work better for you and/or fit better with your lifestyle. Or like you said, it could just be about your body needing to get used to the extra activity finally
  • kait_marie24
    kait_marie24 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking Cellucor Super HD pills. It's only been 3 days but I have increased energy, focus, and a suppressed appetite. So that's reason enough for me to keep taking them but I'm not sure how much it's doing for the fat burning itself - we'll see after I finish the bottle.

What happens when you stop taking them and your appetite returns? How do you plan on dealing with that? What will you have learned from it?

Ps. You burn fat by being in a calorie deficit. Taking weight loss at a sustainable pace will ensure you lose more fat than muscle (muscle helps you look leaner at goal). Also, resistance training like weightlifting would help as well.

Get your proper nutrients and caloric intake to fuel yourself, learn sustainable habits and toss the junk pills, seriously. You're better suited learning eating habits that leave you satiated then cheating yourself of that opportunity with appetite suppressants. I've lost 53 lbs in 9 months and wouldn't change that for the world.

The only reason I am taking them is because I have reached a plateau in my weight loss and need a little bit of a boost. I lost 50 pounds (before joining MFP and kept it off) without any type of supplement - just eating well and exercise. And that's what I'm doing now, just with a little bit of help.

I would look at intake and how accurate your logging is/was before turning to supplements. With less weight to lose, there's less room for error. Check out the success stories. You'll find people who've lost 100+ pounds without snake oil supplements. But by all means, if you want to waste your money, do so.

Ok, great, as long as I have your permission!
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Thank you all. I was looking into them because I have problems with being fatigued all the time. Caffeine just makes me more tired. I think my solution is to force myself to get up & move. Eventually my body will get used to being active... hopefully.

Yeah if your tiredness is from being active - I know it is said a lot that being more active gave people more energy but think about it, you're putting your body through the ringer in some cases, of course you'd be exhausted. I do find coffee and sleep (when you can) helps. You can also play with what time of the day you exercise. Morning vs evening etc one may work better for you and/or fit better with your lifestyle. Or like you said, it could just be about your body needing to get used to the extra activity finally

Thank you for a positive reply.. my fatigue causes are unknown. I have many theories but no doctor told me why I'm tired all the time. I've adjusted my sleep schedule many times. I've added naps, both long & short. I heard being active gives you energy so I'm trying that. Caffeine makes me sleepy so I can't do that. When I sleep a full 7-9 hours, I wake up feeling like I haven't slept at all. I'm gonna talk to my doctor about it soon. But thanks for the advice :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Ok, great, as long as I have your permission!
    Glad we cleared that up.

just wanted to...you know.....let everyone understand that these supplements are completely unnecessary. ♡
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into both Garcinia Camboga & Hydroxycut. If you've ever been on either products for at least a month, please let me know what it did for you! I wanna know your energy levels & weight loss COMPARED to how you were doing before taking it... thanks! PS I wanted them for energy.

Hey, those won't work - but I have a product that is guaranteed to boost your energy! It's just $39.95 (plus shipping and handling) and everyone who tries it SWEARS by it!

vs2f7q.jpg

$39.95? That label says $.50 a bottle!

That's the sample bottle, of course.
  • vegasgyrl79971
    Options
    You may want to have a blood panel done. If you are deficient in Iron, Vitamin D or B12 or all three you will see an increase in fatigue.
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    You may want to have a blood panel done. If you are deficient in Iron, Vitamin D or B12 or all three you will see an increase in fatigue.

My blood is perfect. Just got it taken last week. But thanks :)
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have some hope that I may eventually get some energy back. I have cut most if not all of the caffeine from my diet, eating healthier (cut out a lot of fatty fast food right before I went to bed), and increased my exercise routine, but I still feel tired all the time! I feel like I never have any energy, especially when I wake up in the mornings after sleeping for 7-8 hours. I had blood work done and found that I have a low vitamin D level that I have to take prescription vitamin D to raise. My doctor is also scheduling me for a sleep apnea test because she thinks that I am not getting restful sleep at night because of the apnea. You may want to ask your doctor to have your blood checked for different problems and to see if you may possibly need to do a sleep study for sleep apnea.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    I have some hope that I may eventually get some energy back. I have cut most if not all of the caffeine from my diet, eating healthier (cut out a lot of fatty fast food right before I went to bed), and increased my exercise routine, but I still feel tired all the time! I feel like I never have any energy, especially when I wake up in the mornings after sleeping for 7-8 hours. I had blood work done and found that I have a low vitamin D level that I have to take prescription vitamin D to raise. My doctor is also scheduling me for a sleep apnea test because she thinks that I am not getting restful sleep at night because of the apnea. You may want to ask your doctor to have your blood checked for different problems and to see if you may possibly need to do a sleep study for sleep apnea.

Oooh sleep quality. Don't those fit thing devices record those as well?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I can tell you that back in the day before MFP I tried Hydroxycut for weight loss and it did not help with either my fatigue or my weight.

I would try pretty much any other solution to your fatigue before trying diet pills. Most of them are just caffeine. If a couple of cups of coffee aren't doing the job, neither will those pills. If you've already tried obvious solutions (like sleep and caffeine) and you're eating enough calories (1300 is NOT enough for me. I crash on anything less than 1700) then see your doctor. Fatigue has many many causes and it can be tricky to treat. The fact that you can sleep for 9 hours and wake up unrefreshed is a classic symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome, but it can also be a lot of other things. The key to treating fatigue is knowing the cause.
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options

My blood is fine, but the apnea I will look into!
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I can tell you that back in the day before MFP I tried Hydroxycut for weight loss and it did not help with either my fatigue or my weight.

I would try pretty much any other solution to your fatigue before trying diet pills. Most of them are just caffeine. If a couple of cups of coffee aren't doing the job, neither will those pills. If you've already tried obvious solutions (like sleep and caffeine) and you're eating enough calories (1300 is NOT enough for me. I crash on anything less than 1700) then see your doctor. Fatigue has many many causes and it can be tricky to treat. The fact that you can sleep for 9 hours and wake up unrefreshed is a classic symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome, but it can also be a lot of other things. The key to treating fatigue is knowing the cause.

I was just telling my mom I think I have CFS. I've been researching it & I have 6 out of 8 symptoms, including the ones that give it the name.
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    hydroxycut didn't help me. it made me itch on the inside. it was weird. 0/10 would not do again.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Let's assume the pill works. What happens when you stop taking it?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It's invalid because like I said, I wanted to take them later on if my energy levels are still low. Later on meaning when I'm eating 1,600 calories & have figured out more foods I can eat. The foods I added today didn't cause a problem. That's what I meant by it's working. I know IBS doesn't just magically go away. It takes time to take care of it with a special diet custom made for you. I don't want my appetite supressed & I don't want the body fat burning affects of the product, so I'll admit I was a bit dumb for posting this thread.. especially the title I gave it. Haha 10 points for me for bein a bit dumb! I'm taking all of yalls advice into consideration, even the ones worded not so nicely. I'll inform you, I have only been trying to take care of my IBS for 6 months when being diagnosed with it for 2 years. Again, I'm a dumbass. But even more than that, I lack knowledge in some areas that deal with IBS. So please, enough with the hate comments. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about what I can do with my problems. Another reason why this post is dumb.. I see my doctor soon about my fatigue. I guess when my friend told me about hydroxycut I got excited & wanted to know more about it. I'm impatient. It's quicker to go to the store & buy it than wait for my dr appt. But after yalls negative but helpful comments, I will wait. Thanks :)

What's your diet like?
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ok didn't realise you where starving yourself, no wonder you're fatigued. Speak to a dr / nutritionist to work out what you can eat that wont aggravate your IBS and eat as many calories as you can of the non aggravating stuff to give you energy. Starving yourself and then taking energy pills is a recipe for disaster.
    ^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
  • tayleigh4
    tayleigh4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tried Hydroxycut, it didn't work, please don't waste your money. The only diet pill that truly worked for me was OxyElite Pro. And they don't sell it anymore, you can't find it ANYWHERE (my dad found it on EBay, but I looked everywhere for it and couldn't find it.) They used to sell it at GNC, those pills worked wonders. I didn't have an appetite on it & I had so much energy, wish they still had it. I wouldn't waste your money, there aren't many fat burning supplements out there that really work.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Oooh sleep quality. Don't those fit thing devices record those as well?

The one I have gives me an idea of how "restful" my sleep is, usually mid-80% range for quality sleep for me. My room mate says when I fall asleep on the couch that at times I will immediately stop snoring, gasp really hard, will move my head as if I am looking about, and a few minutes later I start snoring again. She says that sometimes I will do this several times in an hour or so. I have woken myself up several times gasping for air and feeling like I am choking. My doctor thinks I need to see if I either have sleep apnea or can eliminate it as a possible reason for why I stay tired.