What is considered tall?

Options

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I have always considered myself to be tall. However at 5' 7' more and more I am being told I am just average. So I wondered what does everyone consider tall, that is for a woman. For a man I consider anything over six foot tall.

It depends where you live. If you live in, say, metro NY, where people tend to be of southern European descent, 5'7" is tall for a female. In Minnesota, where I am surrounded by long-boned people of Scandinavian descent, it is average.
  • GoldenGopherDad
    GoldenGopherDad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree...5'7" seems to be fairly average...
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

For men, 6'0 is short,

Seems that northern European or Scandinavian countries have the tallest men in the world with only Holland having an average of 6'0....followed by Sweden at 5'11.5 and then Denmark at average of 5'11.1....
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    5'7" for a female IMO is average

I am 5'9" and I feel I border tall. Anything above 5'9" is tall.

5'4" under - short/petite
    5'4" - 5'8" - average
    5'9"+ - tall

Men under 6' seems to be average

5'9" under - short
    5'10 - 6'3" - average
    6'4"+ - tall

Agree with this. I'm 5'11" and hubby is 6'2". He's considered average but I'm considered tall.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I say if you require tall sizes...you are tall. If you require petites, you are short.

That's my non-scientific description. I'm 5'9" and I am borderline on buying tall clothes...some are and some aren't. So I don't think 5'7" is tall.

I also think its all relative....if you are always around 5'2" women...you are tall. Lol

I wish I was 5'6" if that matters at all. :)
  • MichelletheMonkey
    Options
    wellbert wrote: »
    Depends on race.

Average though, I think women are 5'3-5'6, with 5'7 being in the territory of tall.

For men, 6'0 is short, 6'3 is reasonable, 6'5 tall, and 6'6+ superior evolution of future human

Your male heights are sooooooo off. I'm a 5'10" female and even though a 6 foot male isn't much taller than I am, I still know he's a pretty tall man. 6'3" is not reasonable, it's very tall.

Avg. female height is 5'4" and male is about 5'9.5"

• that_tall_girl
    that_tall_girl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To me personally, I consider anything over 5'10" to be tall for a woman. But then I'm 6'1" so almost everyone is short to me.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Darn it, necro thread.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Women 5'11", men bottom of barrel is 6'3".

/endthread
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    2012 THREAD
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    2012 THREAD
    2012 Thread

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    2012 THREAD
    2012 Thread

2012 bread?
  • blackcrossknight
    blackcrossknight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think 5'7 is the average for a woman in the US. I myself am 5'7, but have still considered myself pretty tall. I pass many in the stores, and I seem to be above many women in height, along with my mother and three adult sisters. I think the average for a man is 5'9, but I follow you on the thinking of anything about 6'0 or over is tall. Back when I assumed I was above average height for a woman, I looked up the averages lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    First time for everything... resurrected thread. I am sure it will make all the differences if someone posts a fresh one with an identical title ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    2012 THREAD!!!!!!!! no one cares!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    2012 THREAD!!!!!!!! no one cares!
    YES!

2012 THREAD!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    As Grandpa, who was 5 ft. 6 and 145 pounds, used to say.........

"I'm tall for my height and right for my weight."

I'm here in America, 5 ft. 4.5, and I weigh 139 pounds, so I concur with Grandpa. :p:D
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know this is a necro'd thread, but where on earth are people living where 5'7 is average for women and 6'0+ is average for men? I'd think 5'5 is about average for women, and 5'10 for men in the US.
  • v_cowley
    v_cowley Posts: 70 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm a 6 ft woman and my husband is 6 ft 4".
    My mum was 6ft and I have a 5ft 10" sister and a 5ft 3" sister.
    My boss was a 6ft 1" woman! I'm surrounded by giants (except my little sister >_<)
    I consider 5ft 7" average.
  • itneverends_105
    Options
    i'm 5'8, my 5'4 and under friends think i'm tall. I consider 5'5-5'8 average for women and over 5'9 as tall.