Gave up sugar (added sugar) feel great for it

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    arl1286 wrote: »
    I have done this a few times and you're right-- I never feel better than when I've kicked the sugar habit.

That said, it makes it so difficult to eat out, so I've found that it isn't sustainable for me (if I'm going out to eat I want something other than a salad with oil and vinegar, dammit!). I compromise by not buying any groceries with added sugar or using sugar in my baking.
    That's actually a GREAT compromise. Just by not buying all that stuff you're making a huge difference.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    All sugar is natural sugar.

my thought exactly …

for the record - I eat bread, ice cream, cookies, et al and I feel great too….

not sure what the point of this thread is …oh wait, it is a sugar is "bad" thread..got ya...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    someone care to explain how "added" sugar is better than "natural" sugar….?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It's not?
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I incorporate sugar into my calories and I have had no problems with it. I am still losing weight and have lost 27 lbs in 126 days. I'd say I am keeping my sugar.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It's not?

then why give it up?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It's not?

then why give it up?
    Read what you wrote.

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    For me, it just helps me stick to a calorie budget. I don't actually count added sugar, I'm too lazy for that, I just generally buy treats only when I really, really want one. I don't have a problem with sugar, but my calorie budget is restricted due to height and medical issues prevent me from exercising enough to raise it significantly, so the easiest thing to do is cut the cost of calories in areas that I usually don't miss. The same reason we don't go out to the movies unless there is something we are really dying to see or friends invite us-we can't afford it. (Seriously, we hoard movie gift cards for a "worth it" movie.)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    For me, it just helps me stick to a calorie budget. I don't actually count added sugar, I'm too lazy for that, I just generally buy treats only when I really, really want one. I don't have a problem with sugar, but my calorie budget is restricted due to height and medical issues prevent me from exercising enough to raise it significantly, so the easiest thing to do is cut the cost of calories in areas that I usually don't miss. The same reason we don't go out to the movies unless there is something we are really dying to see or friends invite us-we can't afford it. (Seriously, we hoard movie gift cards for a "worth it" movie.)

so there is no real reason then …got ya ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It's not?

then why give it up?
    Read what you wrote.

why did OP give up added sugar if there is no difference between the two?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It's not?

then why give it up?
    Read what you wrote.

Not going to bother. With YOU.
  • Maitria
    Options

That added sugar is better than natural sugar, as you asked? Yup, you've got it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It's not?

then why give it up?
    Read what you wrote.

because there is no reason to ..its OK you can admit it...
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Someone has chosen to omit something from their diet, and is proud of what they have achieved, but everyone's turning it into a sugar war!
    congrats chicacherry, on choosing what to omit and sticking to it :D
    i've cut alchohol, as the calories just aren't worth it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

That added sugar is better than natural sugar, as you asked? Yup, you've got it.

LOL! :D
  • Maitria
    Options
    It's not?

then why give it up?
    Read what you wrote.

because there is no reason to ..its OK you can admit it...

o:)>:)

• ndj1979
    Options

sugar = sugar they are the same...
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    OP posted about something that works for her - obviously it helps with her adherence and is something she feels has been a positive change for her. I don't get the mentality of other people jumping all over someone's point of view when it differs from their own - you like to eat sugar and can do so as part of a balanced diet? Great, whatever works for you! But don't diminish or rule out someone else's experience just because it's different to your own.

OP, I've tried several times to cut out sugar entirely but I find I'm better to just limit the types of sweets I have. I was born with a whole set of sweet teeth and sugar is seriously crack to me, so I definitely can't have it in the house. Now I find some dairy, fruit and the odd cookie keeps me sane - but it's awesome that you've found what works for you!
  • Maitria
    Options

sugar = sugar they are the same...
    I know. You wrote, "Can someone give me a reason that added sugar is better than natural sugar?"

I like sugar. I wish I was taller and able to be more active. Since I'm not, right now anyway, I choose to mostly get my sugars from the foods that give me more nutrition and taste good to me at the same time (I love pineapple, I love cookies. I couldn't tell you the sugar content in either, but I know that the pineapple is giving me a bit more nutrition, so it usually but not always wins.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP posted about something that works for her - obviously it helps with her adherence and is something she feels has been a positive change for her. I don't get the mentality of other people jumping all over someone's point of view when it differs from their own - you like to eat sugar and can do so as part of a balanced diet? Great, whatever works for you! But don't diminish or rule out someone else's experience just because it's different to your own.

OP, I've tried several times to cut out sugar entirely but I find I'm better to just limit the types of sweets I have. I was born with a whole set of sweet teeth and sugar is seriously crack to me, so I definitely can't have it in the house. Now I find some dairy, fruit and the odd cookie keeps me sane - but it's awesome that you've found what works for you!
    A whole set of sweet teeth. I love that phrase!
This discussion has been closed.