Small But Super Helpful Habits

Options

Replies

• RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started wearing my sneakers to work instead of my steel-toes. I can walk longer, farther, and faster during my transit commute, and my feet are less sore.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Don't buy elasticated trousers even if they are a smaller size- they will fool you!

Clean your teeth straight after dinner, then you won't want any more food (doesn't go well with the mintiness of toothpaste!).

Chew your food properly. Makes it last longer, tastes better, and makes you feel full sooner and longer.

As well as weighing all foods that aren't pre-weighed, buy smaller dinner plates - works wonders for portion control :smiley:
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    And get enough sleep! When I'm tired my food intake increases and with all the bad stuff :(
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I keep a bunch of snacks at work, almonds, fruit bursts, 100 calorie bags of popcorn, pita bread or flat-outs, small pouches of tuna or salmon, pineapple chunks in a jar, protein shake with fiber as a quickie breakfast with some fruit (also makes my vitamins easier to take). I keep some laughing cow cheese wedges in the fridge, pickle relish, and Greek yogurt in the fridge. Some days I make a quick tuna salad using the yogurt, tuna, relish and place it in the pita bread or on the flatouts. I add some almonds and fresh fruit that I brought from home and I have a good meal that keeps me full for hours! Having food on hand keeps me from eating other things from the vending machines or that people brought in.

I try to pre-log my food for the day or at least have a mental idea of what my calories will be for dinner. For example, if I know that I am not working out that day I try to pick lower calorie soups and salads for my meals versus picking a "treat" or higher calorie item on workout days.

Lots of water, especially when I think I am hungry I will drink about 6-8 ounces and I find that I am not really as hungry I thought.

I try to rotate the fruits and veggies that I eat so I don't get bored with them and eat something like a 200 calorie donut for a "change of pace."

I think of food sometimes in terms of how long do I have to exercise on the elliptical if I eat this donut? A lot of times, I decide that the donut does not taste good enough to warrant the extra workout time. A piece of cookie cake with a big gob of icing on it would totally be worth it right now for me! I have been craving it for days!

I try to make sure that I work in foods that I truly enjoy but are not considered healthy into my diet several days a week. It is much easier to stick with it if you can have some dark chocolate, a juicy cheeseburger, or some pizza loaded with a bunch of meat and cheese!

If you go over your calories for the day, don't beat yourself up over it. Learn from it and move on. Don't allow it to become an excuse to eat over your goal for the rest of the week. We all make mistakes and it is through these mistakes that we learn the most about our strengths and weaknesses.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    mgcarrillo wrote: »
    I'm pretty new here, and I'm trying to start making small changes to my eating and activities that will add up in the long run to a healthier lifestyle. I wanted to ask people here with more experience than me, what small changes have you made in your life that made a huge difference to your weight/fitness/general happiness? For example, I've always hated coffee, so in college and grad school I usually drank soda for caffeine :( Now I've begun substituting black tea for my daily soda, and it's definitely making a difference, both to my weight and to how my body feels. What are some other small but crucial steps I could take to ease myself into this whole awesome-but-slightly-scary health thing?

Truly...being mindful of every bite of food. Thinking about what I'm eating, instead of mindless grazing and munching. Before I started MFP, I could seriously eat an entire bag of potato chips over a couple of hours while on my computer, and then look at the empty bag and wonder when I did that! Now, because I am mindful and log everything I have no surprise added calories.
  • mgcarrillo
    mgcarrillo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Logging my food really keeps me on track. I think I lost a pound in the first two days I started tracking my food intake.

This has been my experience as well. Just being forced to pay attention to how much I'm eating is indispensable.
  • macphile
    macphile Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a lot more fruit. I didn't want to give up my blue cheese dressing, but I switched to a low-calorie version and measure out a small serving instead of just dumping it on. I eat a small amount of dark chocolate instead of regular candy--it's good for your blood pressure.

Mostly, I think it's just an issue of quantity and serving sizes. It's terrible how if you have a craving for something, the tendency is to just eat it mindlessly, even though the craving was really satisfied in the first few bites.

I also find it useful to remember that people are not garbage disposals. I live alone, so I often end up with a lot of leftovers and extras. I've tended to eat whatever's lying around because it's "wasteful" not to. But honestly, the extra food's only going to do you harm. It's better to waste money than to ruin your life--you can always get more money.
  • rebetha82
    rebetha82 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! Surely, thorough logging is the key including the weighing of every bit and bite :smile: I am loving all your ideas and good habits.

To weigh in with my habits: lots and lots of water, the bottle is always with me (on the desk, on the sofa, next to the bed, on grocery runs, on walks etc.). I walk much more now instead of taking the bus. I have no more soft drinks.

Most importantly for me was to tell people that I am on a weight loss journey now. I don't have an awful lot to lose (now around 30 lbs) so most people say the polite "ah, but you don't have to..." :wink: but letting my friends and family know about it, makes me accountable and helps me to decline certain foods or seconds.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I actually did a big change that made all the other changes easier. I reduced carbs and added protein. I use to be a carb addict, and even when I restricted calories, my carbs were high. Because of this, I was hungry all the time. That's no fun, and being hungry makes sticking to a diet hard.

The protein I added curbed my carb cravings dramatically. I used to think about food all the time, but now I'm free of that.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    These things help me (a lot). Find what works for you and repeat... You can do it!

1) Eat breakfast every morning. Seriously.
    2) Eat protein for lunch (tuna, chicken, etc.) to avoid getting hangry at work. :tired_face:
    3) Get RunKeeper or equivalent app, hook it up to MFP, and walk.
    4) Put an exercise mat and weights in front of the TV. Use them. Often.
    5) Buy low calorie, filling snacks (peanut butter, popcorn, cheese slices).
    6) Eat quality calories that you enjoy, including more vegetables! :relieved:
    7) Decrease or eliminate caloric drinks (esp. alcohol). Budget in on occasion.
    8) Do not "go on a diet." Change the way you eat.
    9) Drink lots of water and tea. Use tea as a treat.
    10) It's OK to go to bed a little hungry. See #1.

19507081.png
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    * About infused waters at 4 dollars. Why buy it? Just plop in 3-4 frozen raspberries or whatever you like into water bottle in fridge. For example: cucumber, ginger, lemon, fresh herbs, etc.
    * Love the squat in bathroom idea:)

Some of my little changes:
    * Fiber supplement. Helps with portion control. Plus I have IBS, no more problems with bigger intake of fiber.
    * Try take a walk/run on resting days from the gym.
    * Consciously train on portion control. 5 candies is ok. The whole packet is not.

Make it a game!
    Move away from negative focus. Why constantly focusing on what I'm missing while dieting (deprivation)? Cmon do I really miss bingeing on 1 full bag of potato chips or 1 tub of icecream after dinner? Somewhat. Do I really miss the feeling I had after doing those things? No.

So instead I try focusing on making dieting into a game. Like a mini competition with myself. How can I improve balance of intake, limited treats, exercise and performance, prevent injuries ?...WITHIN BUDGET.

It's a puzzle I have to solve every day. It makes something that is boring and sometimes very dreary into a bit more fun and interesting. For example I realized I have to be able to eat a bit of treats every day. How can I fit this in? Get creative! Cutting carbs...shirataki noodles, cauliflower rice were two alternatives to noodles and rice that works for me.

Btw, I looove puzzle games like candy crush, ha-ha.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Planning what I'll eat the day before has really helped me! I don't randomly snack anymore because I know around what times I get hungry at and plan my meals around that.
    Eating more protein helps keep me fuller for longer. I always make sure to have a high protein breakfast or lunch so I'm full until dinner and won't snack.
    Not cutting out foods. During my failed dieting attempt I would cut out whole food groups, and junk and it always lead to me binging on whatever I had cut out. So now everything is allowed in moderation.
    Learning portion control so I only cook enough for me so there are no extras to eat or to go back to to get second helpings.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I thought apples provided fibre and vitamin C.

This is a great thread.

My tips are to focus on the healthy low calorie foods you like rather than force yourself to eat what you are not really keen on.

I second getting exercise out of the way first thing in the morning.

Also don't cut out a food or food category but perhaps change the proportion of it in your diet.

Keep it simple, get the basics in place before worrying about fine tuning. For example if you are currently eating 3000 calories of fast food a day, and doing no exercise, eating at a deficit, replacing crisps with fruit and walking 15 minutes a day will make a difference.
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Really just logging foods and realizing just how many calories were in my usual diet was such a wake-up call, I remember just doing a day of it and being amazed. Once I started doing that and became cognizant of what a 'normal' serving size should look like, I started eating that normal serving instead of the 'extra large' one I was used to.

-If eating out, almost always half a portion size is sufficient - if I love it, asking for a box to take home and eat tomorrow is just fine. Skipping the fries/chips/empty calorie sides.
    -All meals, take a bite or two, then drink a glass of water. I used to stuff myself because of wanting to feel full, and filling with water means I'm full at a reasonable amount, instead of a ridiculous amount.
    -small square of dark chocolate for those moments of "ugh I need sweets now!" moments, instead of say, a pint of ice cream.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly (jello) is my friend. I keep a jug of it in the fridge then eat it with fruit or low fat yogurt for pudding. It looks like a huge bowl of food but only has about 10 calories (for the jelly part). It is also a good way to add water to your daily diet.
  • Maddallynn
    Options
    I swapped out chips for those Honey & Oats bars from Nature Valley, which keep me full longer, they're healthier. I also cut all soda from my diet save for a 8oz Dr Pepper in the morning (like you did, I get my caffeine from soda, and I can't switch to tea because I only like sweet tea and, well, that would defeat the purpose).
    I am a snacker, a grazer, if something's there, I eat it, so I have a son, right, he's 3. I used to put out snacks for him and take a few because of a "mama tax" (its a real thing in my house), I've begun putting an end to that. I also clean. I clean quite a bit, because like I said, if its there, I will eat it, so I make sure that there is nothing in my vision for me to eat.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me it was mainly portion size, I never knew how much I was overeating until I really sat down and thought about it, on average I'd say I was having 2 - 3 portions per evening meal, instead of the 1 I have now. At first I was hungry but now I'm honestly not most of the time.

I also invested in some food scales, I now have a better understanding of what a portion looks like. It really helps taking the guesswork out of it.

And last but not least, screw diets, I knew I'd never stick to one so I just calorie count, I can still eat the food I enjoy just a lot less of it.

THIS

Portion size is critical! Use scales and don't eat to feel full. Eat to satisfy hunger, but don't feel like you have to 'fill up'. I'm doing the same thing. I'm not limiting myself to any particular foods. I have what I want, but I'm limiting portions.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I always make extra at tea, then freeze. In my freezer I now have a range of lunch boxes and take a different healthy meal to work each day, cost effective and keeps me away from making sandwiches or buying food. I also pack my snacks and take no money to work.

Preplanning is key, as if starving hungry, I'm more likely to make bad choices.

I think of it as bartering. I want x but I want y more. So I can have a bit of each or chose y. Im not deprived, I am making a choices.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Eat 5 a day! You'll have less room for junk food.