Christmas Day is going to be a diet free zone

Options
OnlyChristmas day mind you

But to be fair Turkey, roast tatties (in trex), boiled veggies and a couple of trimmings aren't going too overboard. Christmas pudding I avoid anyway as I don't like it, and favour a cheesecake or something similar instead.

I've got about 9 people coming over so I'll be stuffed if I can be bothered weighing and counting calories / WW propoints on that one day as well

Boxing Day everything turns to normal

Who's with me?

Replies

• holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    For me, all holidays and bithdays is diet free or I just dont count calories. I find that I can't eat as much as I used to.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving will be more challenging, I plan on eating foods I regularly dont eat like broccoli casserole , candied sweet potatoes and homemade dressing, in small portions. I eat mashed potatoes all the time so I can leave them off.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Too early to think about it. I have to survive through Thanksgiving first. I don't even know what we'll do for Christmas yet anyway (if anything, we always go out for Christmas Eve and it's always worse).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about the morning after Christmas, since I usually go out to a breakfast buffet with my coworkers after we work overnight
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I made it through Thanksgiving pretty decently, so I am sure Christmas will be awesome. All about moderation and enjoying foods!
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm giving myself a pass on the holidays. The problem is the leftovers. Oh the leftovers! They stick around for days and they won't eat themselves haha.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    For me, all holidays and bithdays is diet free or I just dont count calories. I find that I can't eat as much as I used to.
    This is my philosophy as well. Why make myself miserable on a happy day?

• oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about occasional revelry. One big meal on Christmas or Thanksgiving isn't gonna hurt me as long as I work out and eat normally the next day, you know? The issue I have is the surplus food that surrounds the holidays. Cookies and apple crisps and eggnog and dear god, Jessica, what inspired you to bring an entire cheesecake to work, who ordered Costco pizza?? You monsters!

But that's kind of business as usual, to be honest. I'll just keep logging my calories, restricting myself to reasonable portions and forcing lean proteins down my throat. We got this.
  • amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm off for Christmas Day and Boxing Day (split family) but I don't generally eat more than the one meal at lunch and some pudding on these days so the damage shouldn't be too bad. My son's birthday is also 23rd Dec but I will be logging (and leaving enough calories for cake).
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is always my free-for-all. It's my absolute favorite holiday; I do a lot of cooking myself, and I celebrate with my best friend and her family, so she cooks too. One day never killed anyone -- my problem is really just with the leftovers. I have to be careful to bring home things I can easily fit into my calorie limit instead of desserts and gratins that push me over in small quantities.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Every day is a diet free zone for me because this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

<jk> I just couldn't believe no one else had said it yet.

I don't have any idea what I'll eat on Christmas or whether I'll think about calories. It will probably depend on how much damage the pre-Christmas parties have done.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i don't plan on logging or worrying about my intake on thanksgiving or christmas eve/day. will be with family, and don't want to have to worry about jotting down or going online to log the wide variety of foods i will surely be sampling most of those days... haha. i will however, make sure to behave the other days in those weeks so that there's some balance to my free days. :)
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I feel holidays should be exempt from diets. They come only a few times a year, so people should enjoy them. One year I did a "diet" Thanksgiving and I wish I didn't!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think if you're already dreaming about what you'll be eating months from now, maybe your diet is too restrictive on a daily basis.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Life is way too short and stressful to give up special treats on special days. I always enjoy the holidays, and the next day is back to business.
  • LIve_Laugh_Love_Strong
    Options
    I think if you're already dreaming about what you'll be eating months from now, maybe your diet is too restrictive on a daily basis.

Totally agreed! Add little treats now and then within your calorie count so that you don't feel the need to binge on holidays. Try thinking about how great you are going to look at Christmas and how healthy you will feel. Likely by that time you won't be too focussed on the food and more on how fabulous you look and feel.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't count on Christmas, but on the other hand it's never too bad anyway, as it's usually stinking hot and I munch on prawns, ham, turkey and salads. This year will be booze-light (not booze free, but way more tame than previous years) so that should mean I do relatively little damage in any event!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Doing a turkey trot on thanksgiving morning (5k race) then eating what ever I want within reason if course! Turkey, stuffing and all the fixing!
    Christmas I will eat what I want ( again within reason) and enjoy the day with family and friends!
    Not going to go overboard but not going to deny myself either!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'll be visiting family for two seperate Thanksgiving meals. So those two I'm going to try everything, but do my best to not over indulge. For Christmas just my own little family, so I don't plan a large eleborate meal. I also have a big event coming up in two weeks that will be "diet" buster, I'm secretly hoping the food sucks, so I can spend more calories on drinks! But really, I don't care about going over occaisionally as long as the food is worth it. I just get right back on track the next day