Green Tea question?

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    There is a small amount of caffeine in green tea which may slightly boost your metabolism but it boosts it less than a caffeinated soda or coffee would. Nothing magical about green tea but it IS a good no calorie drink that potentially has some antioxidant benefits.

there is more caffeine in tea than in coffee.
    I love when people argue when they are wrong.
    The whole point of water is hydration, which tea and coffee do adequately. So does milk, juice and the water in your food. Here read this about tea:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21450118

Edited to add full study available through the links in above:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayFulltext?type=6&fid=8346508&jid=BJN&volumeId=106&issueId=04&aid=8346507&bodyId=&membershipNumber=&societyETOCSession=&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0007114511000456

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There is a small amount of caffeine in green tea which may slightly boost your metabolism but it boosts it less than a caffeinated soda or coffee would. Nothing magical about green tea but it IS a good no calorie drink that potentially has some antioxidant benefits.

there is more caffeine in tea than in coffee.
    Just leaving this here: fda.gov/downloads/UCM200805.pdf (FDA listing of common beverages and the amount of caffeine they contain)
    Also, as to the comment that coffee and tea don't count towards water intake, what are you brewing your tea and coffee with?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Black tea has similar amount of caffeine to coffee, green tea has at least half as much, some green teas (and white tea) have hardly any caffeine.

And any liquid counts towards how much water you take in (even the water content in foods contributes). Your body extracts the water out of everything you consume. If you drink a lot of caffeinated or alcoholic drinks, the dehydrating effect may counter the water they contain, but they still contain water.

OP, try flavored green teas! I especially find mint green tea tastes sweet even though there is no sweetener, and most flavored teas only add a couple of calories per cup. I think green tea has lots of health benefits, but any proven metabolism effect is just from the caffeine.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The benefits are minimal and the sugar is probably worse.

Well, the only benefit of green tea is if you like it. If you don't like it there is no benefit.

Green tea is loaded with caffeine, which comes in many drinks, so no magic there.it is not a metabolism booster.

Also, there is nothing g wrong with sugar.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kmack29_ wrote: »
    i'm a huge tea person! i dislike just plain old water, so i drink lots of tea as a way to get my water in! when i started drinking green tea i added sugar as well, but now its straight! i find it an acquired taste. you can try drinking different types of green tea? i'm a big fan of honey lemon ginseng!

you can't count tea as your water intake...water only...but at least you're staying hydrated.

Wrong. Tea, coffee, soda, milk, juice, etc all count towards your water intake, just make sure all calories are logged.

wrong...sorry...

Ok show us some evidence where tea and coffee doesnt count towards your 2L a day.

From the NHS

How much should we drink?

To stay healthy, it's important to replace the fluid we lose when we breathe, sweat or urinate.

We get some fluid from our food but most comes from drinks.

The European Food Safety Authority recommends that women should drink about 1.6 litres of fluid and men should drink about 2.0 litres of fluid per day. That's about eight glasses of 200ml each for a woman, and 10 glasses of 200ml each for a man.

However, the amount a person needs to drink to avoid getting dehydrated will vary depending on a range of factors, including their size, the temperature and how active they are. So, for example, if you're exercising hard in hot weather you'll need to drink more.

All drinks count, including hot drinks such as tea and coffee, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Green tea is gross :s
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    http://authoritynutrition.com/green-tea-and-weight-loss/

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/uncovering-the-truth-can-drinking-green-tea-help-with-weight-loss.html

I drink a small but potent cup 30 mins or so after every meal. It should be unsweetened. It helps your body digest your food more properly and it boosts your metabolism and can help aid in reducing extra fat storage. Check out the articles above based in research :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're just adding 30 calories to your day for each cup-save um for chocolate!
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Nothing helps you lose weight except for eating/drinking at a deficit of calories every day.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://authoritynutrition.com/green-tea-and-weight-loss/

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/uncovering-the-truth-can-drinking-green-tea-help-with-weight-loss.html

I drink a small but potent cup 30 mins or so after every meal. It should be unsweetened. It helps your body digest your food more properly and it boosts your metabolism and can help aid in reducing extra fat storage. Check out the articles above based in research :)
    Quoted from the WebMD link you posted above:

What About Weight Loss?
    Sorry, but no drink or food melts the pounds off. While some evidence suggests that the active ingredient in green tea, EGCG, may help you drop a few pounds, other studies show no effect.
    But green tea is a smart swap for sugary drinks.
    "All things being equal, if you sub 1-2 cups of green tea for one can of soda, over the next year you'd save over 50,000 calories," Ochner says. That's more than 15 pounds. Just don’t swamp it with honey or sugar!

And from the fitday link you posted:
    Conclusion
    Green tea can only accelerate metabolism by 4%, and this amounts to only 100 calories a day, which does not contribute a lot to weight loss. If you need to lose 20 lb or 30 lb in a short time, green tea is not the best option for you. However, green tea can be used to maintain a healthy weight, and it can also bring lots of other benefits to your body.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're just adding 30 calories to your day for each cup-save um for chocolate!

Like your reasoning!
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I drink mine plain. I find that drinking it ice cold tends to kill some of the taste you are talking about. I haven't noticed it boosting any metabolism but it works wonders for water retention as much as you have to go to the bathroom when you drink it.
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I dislike green tea. Give me some Earl or Lady Grey
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    mommyofjan wrote: »
    I dislike green tea. Give me some Earl or Lady Grey

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    On a different note, green tea not recommended for people with autoimmune diseases. Don't know why jut that I'm one.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't getting that much benefits from the tea to outweigh the sugar you are adding in. I am an avid tea drinker, but I drink it because I enjoy it, not for any of the "bonuses".

However, have you tried any flavored green teas? My favorite is cherry blossom green, it is still zero calories like other green tea, just flavored & sweetened with cherry flavor, hibiscus, wild cherry bark, rosehips, rose petals, beet root powder, I buy mine at the Tea Source, http://www.teasource.com/tea-products/GreenTeaBlends/8000.html. It doesn't taste like grass at all. If you would like to still drink green tea, but don't want to add sugar, this might be a good route to try.

• mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest things you read about while researching weight loss is that green tea boosts your metabolism. Whenever i drink green tea i always add 2 tsp of sugar,so it doesn't taste like grass. I would like to start drinking more but do you think that there would be no point because of the sugar? Also does passion fruit tea help with weight loss(a friend gave me 5 boxes!)?

instead of sugar, try a couple drops of liquid stevia?

• Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the references affirming tea as a "water" source. I don't know why it ceases to be water once you put a teabag in it.