Green Tea question?

Options

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good news: Drinking green tea, along with exercise and a reduced calorie diet results in weight loss!!
    Bad news: Eating cat food, along with with exercise and a reduced calorie diet results in weight loss!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    There is a small amount of caffeine in green tea which may slightly boost your metabolism but it boosts it less than a caffeinated soda or coffee would. Nothing magical about green tea but it IS a good no calorie drink that potentially has some antioxidant benefits.

there is more caffeine in tea than in coffee.

From the Mayo clinic ( http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372 ):

Brewed Coffee
    Brewed 8 oz. (237 mL) 95-200 mg

Brewed tea
    Black tea 8 oz. (237 mL) 14-70 mg
    Green tea 8 oz. (237 mL) 24-45 mg

Whether your green or black has more caffeine depends on the type and how the leaves are processed, but the most caffeinated black has more than the most caffeinated green and both have less than coffee.

Also, if you steep your loose leaf tea more than one time, each successive cup will have less caffeine.

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    There is a small amount of caffeine in green tea which may slightly boost your metabolism but it boosts it less than a caffeinated soda or coffee would. Nothing magical about green tea but it IS a good no calorie drink that potentially has some antioxidant benefits.

there is more caffeine in tea than in coffee.
    Just leaving this here: fda.gov/downloads/UCM200805.pdf (FDA listing of common beverages and the amount of caffeine they contain)
    Also, as to the comment that coffee and tea don't count towards water intake, what are you brewing your tea and coffee with?

Petulance and stubbornness perhaps?

I'm wondering if the water I drink while I am eating doesn't count either then, since mixing it in with other stuff apparently destroys water?

OP I would agree with everyone who says drink it if you like it but if you aren't enjoying it it probably isn't worth the calories in the sugar.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    http://authoritynutrition.com/green-tea-and-weight-loss/

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/uncovering-the-truth-can-drinking-green-tea-help-with-weight-loss.html

I drink a small but potent cup 30 mins or so after every meal. It should be unsweetened. It helps your body digest your food more properly and it boosts your metabolism and can help aid in reducing extra fat storage. Check out the articles above based in research :)

Try reading the articles and none of them show based upon scientific study that they can reference about the weight loss benefits of green tea. The closest is the second one which focuses on the health benefits, but excludes weight loss.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    Good news: Drinking green tea, along with exercise and a reduced calorie diet results in weight loss!!
    Bad news: Eating cat food, along with with exercise and a reduced calorie diet results in weight loss!
    That;s it!
    NO MORE CAT FOOD!

• earlnabby
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    That;s it!
    NO MORE CAT FOOD!

Dang it, and I just bought a new bag today. Guess I'll have to feed it to the kitties instead.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

I see it now. The cat food diet. I think I will pass on that one.

My favorite tea is peppermint

• shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I LOVE green tea, jasmine tea, chamomile tea, morrocon mint tea.. lots of tea really! I don't think it helps you to lose weight but I have a cup tea during my mid morning and mid afternoon break and it "fills" me up. Like a big warm hug in my stomach.

Also it counts towards your 2 litres of water mmkay? It doesn't magically turn into a different substance so some of you need your heads checked.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    kmack29_ wrote: »
    i'm a huge tea person! i dislike just plain old water, so i drink lots of tea as a way to get my water in! when i started drinking green tea i added sugar as well, but now its straight! i find it an acquired taste. you can try drinking different types of green tea? i'm a big fan of honey lemon ginseng!

you can't count tea as your water intake...water only...but at least you're staying hydrated.
    I'm sorry but I will only count plain water for my water intake for the day :smile:

That's great for you. Just don't tell others that they shouldn't because there is no reason to only count plain water.

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    i'm a huge tea person! i dislike just plain old water, so i drink lots of tea as a way to get my water in! when i started drinking green tea i added sugar as well, but now its straight! i find it an acquired taste. you can try drinking different types of green tea? i'm a big fan of honey lemon ginseng!

you can't count tea as your water intake...water only...but at least you're staying hydrated.
    I'm sorry but I will only count plain water for my water intake for the day :smile:

That's great for you. Just don't tell others that they shouldn't because there is no reason to only count plain water.

This. Taking and water and steeping it with tea leaves doesn't magically make it not water. It is fine if you don't count it, but others who do are not doing anything wrong, they are still getting the same hydration effects of non tea infused water. It is the same as infusing water with fruit, it is still water, just flavored.
  • she_lley2003
    Options
    Jasus water is water no matter what you put in it lol! Try adding a slice of lemon to your green tea, thats how i take it and love it!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

Wrong. Tea, coffee, soda, milk, juice, etc all count towards your water intake, just make sure all calories are logged.

wrong...sorry...

Soda? Milk? Juice? Noooo, that's not water... I'll count tea as water cuz I don't add sugar to it (except black tea). But if I add sugar to it like coffee or black tea, I won't count it as water intake.
  • rebetha82
    rebetha82 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love green tea! Especially since I discovered the right method to prepare it. Doesn't matter if lose leaves or tea bags, I heat up water to 70 - 80 degrees celcius and let the tea incubate for not more than 3 minutes. Much less bitterness, much less grassy taste. With lose leaves, it also helps to rinse them in hot water for a couple of seconds or even discard the first brew and then drink the second brew. Works for me, never any sugar added :smiley:
    If green tea as any other health benefits than water intake, I don't know. But I like my green tea, that I know.
  • ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea almost everyday. I Believe the way it can "help" with dieting or weight loss is that it suppresses appetite some and gives a small boost of energy. On days when I get extra hungry or snacky feeling it helps a lot
  • brittany3883
    brittany3883 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've tried several brands/flavors of green tea, in an effort to increase my fluid intake and stop drinking coffee (I put more sugar in a cup of coffee than I care to admit.) The one I've found the most tolerable is plain, Meijer-brand green tea. I don't add anything to it, and I let it steep as long as possible. I'm getting used to it, and whether it's all in my head or not, I find it decreases my appetite.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    there are no foods that boost metabolism…caffeine maybe, the effect is minimal….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Think youll find its 2l of fluid a day. Tea and Coffee count towards it.

nope, water is water in my book.

don't you use water to make tea and coffee???????? lol
  • ndj1979
    Options

Wrong. Tea, coffee, soda, milk, juice, etc all count towards your water intake, just make sure all calories are logged.

wrong...sorry...

Soda? Milk? Juice? Noooo, that's not water... I'll count tea as water cuz I don't add sugar to it (except black tea). But if I add sugar to it like coffee or black tea, I won't count it as water intake.
    so sugar makes water not water?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Think youll find its 2l of fluid a day. Tea and Coffee count towards it.

nope, water is water in my book.

Tea, sodas, and coffee all count towards your water intake.
    You don't have to go by "his/her book."