Difference between eating at night before sleep and eating at day before sleep?

Options
I have been eating within the daily calories limit religiously.

Last night, I only had 2 hours of sleep (fell asleep at 4 AM, woke up at 6 AM). I didn't have breakfast but had lunch around 11 AM, and fell asleep around 12PM until 5PM.

What worries me is that I might have screwed up by doing this since I've always thought eating before bed contributes to gaining weight, and therefore holding back some progress. And I'm guessing the body doesn't care if it's night or day, fact is I ate and went to sleep right after.

I know it might not be a HUGE thing but once you indulge into a lifestyle change you start watching every single detail and sort of become a bit too meticulous. So it is important for me to get some information on the subject for personal knowledge and to clear some of this up, I would truly appreciate it.

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat, total calories for the day/week is what counts...
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Doesn't matter when you eat, total calories for the day/week is what counts...

This.
    I eat my dinner right before bed almost every night and I still lose weight.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals doesn't matter but getting enough sleep does.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yup. Don't worry. I like to think of my calorie deficit for the week anyways. I have a job that changes hours on a weekly basis.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat late at night...or ever too far after dinner. Mostly because by then I have exhausted all my calories for the day. Also, I find that my food choices at that time of day are not very good. That being said, every body/person is so different. If you can do it and lose...great. If not, then re-evaluate.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Really doesn't matter. I will sometimes finish my day at like 2am (although not since September... school schedule woo!) but I still count it towards the same day. It's not one day that matters, it's how everything averages out over all over time.
  • RangeFourHarry
    Options
    I see, I truly appreciate everyone for taking the time! I was always under the misconception that eating before bed led to weight gain. I have my last meal of the day around 6pm, and after that nothing but water until I go to sleep around 11PM, so it's not a common occurrence. I just wanted to clear this doubt that I've had for a long time.

Once again, thanks. Best of wishes and energy in staying focused and reaching your goals!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You didn't screw up anything. As long as you stay within your calories budget for the day or week, you will be fine.
  • RangeFourHarry
    Options
    Thank you for the help, Branstin!