Remove treats from home or just try to improve my willpower?

Options
I hold my hands up and admit that I have terrible willpower when it comes to sugary treats. To battle this weakness lately I have been consuming my rather large stock of frozen cheesecake, ice cream, cakes, and the cupboard full of candies, cookies, chocolate bars, pastries, and the rest. The shelves are almost empty now so I'm hoping that the "out of sight, out of mind" approach is going to work.
Do others try the same tactic and has it helped?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    at some point you're going to come across cake and stuff again... learning moderation is a much better idea than pretending it doesnt exist!
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For me personally,
    If I am out then seeing sweets and snacks don't bother me at all, I might look and think wish I could have that, but won't go get it.

But when at home, if there is anything I can open thats in fridge or tinned that can be eaten cold, i just can't resist it, I will keep eating it till it gone.

So I don't keep anything at home that doesn't have to be cooked first.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I feel I need a small amount of this stuff around the house so that I know it's there if I want it, but most of the time I can ignore it or work a small amount into my day. If the treat tin is empty I find myself thinking more about it and am more likely to pop out to the shops to buy chocolate! One of the factors for me gaining weight was more of a "little picker" habit than a binge habit though so I don't know if that mindset would work for everyone.

My partner is more like you however, so I have occasionally been known to hide treats from him as if I don't, they have more than likely disappeared by the time I want one!

Sorry I know that probably doesn't help you much with strategies etc, apart from admitting that full and honest logging is very much helping me cure the picking habit.
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Rosie_TG wrote: »
    I hold my hands up and admit that I have terrible willpower when it comes to sugary treats. To battle this weakness lately I have been consuming my rather large stock of frozen cheesecake, ice cream, cakes, and the cupboard full of candies, cookies, chocolate bars, pastries, and the rest. The shelves are almost empty now so I'm hoping that the "out of sight, out of mind" approach is going to work.

Disclaimer: I'm a lazy bum and so I'm commenting from my husband's account rather than logging out and logging into my own. Here goes!

While I agree with Tavistock Toad about moderation being more helpful in the long run, keeping them out of the house is what I have to do at home, and it has helped massively. If I have cookies in the house, I'll keep eating them until they're gone; if they aren't there, I couldn't care less whether I have a cookie or not! I do want to try to make my willpower stronger, but this is working for me for now :smile: Good luck!

• thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did try avoiding them all together but it never helped when I went grocery shopping so I've resorted to moderation. I used to have a secret stash of sweets in my room but I've now moved them downstairs to the kitchen. I keep healthier snacks in my room now like nuts, dried fruit and beef jerky. Usually when I'd get peckish I'd immediately go to my sugary treats but now, I pick the nuts over a trip downstairs to the kitchen. Maybe it's because I just can't be bothered going downstairs or that I'm too embarrassed to pig out in front of my family? But it's really working! Lol I have never had a box of chocolates last this long it's crazy and it's doing wonders to my wallet and waistline!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Nope I make them fit.

I prelog a lot so it's there and I work around it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    That larder is crazy. You should be more alarmed by the sheer quantity you buy. What you are calling sugary treats arent really treats are they? They are your way of life.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the honest replies. I do find that logging is the key for me and it is the homemade treats that cause me to lose discipline the most. Perhaps if I just have a few individually wrapped items with clear calorie data in the cupboard this might be more likely to succeed? I know I could spend the time to calculate the calories in my cakes and pastries but the reality is that I'm just not likely to do it.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Will is like muscle that you can develop, but it can also get overworked. So, you could work on developing it at the grocery store by not buying the sweets mostly. When you get to where you just don't buy that stuff, then you can try to develop it in another way. Having stuff like that around the house is mostly too tempting for me, but I can have a nice bar of chocolate that I nibble at for a week. That way I have "a little something" that is genuinely little.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I just threw them out totally.
    Let the maggots have it....

• loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I only buy the 100 calorie packs of snacks and I buy things like Skinny Cow if I want ice cream or I'll get popsicles or something that have barely any calories. That way I don't miss out on treats, but I don't sit down and eat an entire sleeve of Oreos like I used to love to do.

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I had to have my wife stop buying the useless goods. It also saved us a lot of money and now our son eats better too.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the honest replies. I do find that logging is the key for me and it is the homemade treats that cause me to lose discipline the most. Perhaps if I just have a few individually wrapped items with clear calorie data in the cupboard this might be more likely to succeed? I know I could spend the time to calculate the calories in my cakes and pastries but the reality is that I'm just not likely to do it.

Re the part I've bolded - I find this works quite well well for me. I find it's easier to stop at one wrapped biscuit like a Kitkat etc than to stop at one biscuit from an open packet, something about the physical act of unwrapping it must be a psychological brake.

Or, if you like to bake, why not use the recipe builder to calculate the entire cake, allow yourself a manageable portion and freeze the rest or take it into work to share?
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    That larder is crazy. You should be more alarmed by the sheer quantity you buy. What you are calling sugary treats arent really treats are they? They are your way of life.

They were built up over a long period of time. There is a lot of variety in there but it's not like I have a gallon of ice cream or 20 packets of biscuits stored. I regard them as treats because I'm not eating them day in day out. Not sure without knowing me how you can determine that they are my way of life? I'm at maintenance and am not snacking on this stuff all the time. My diary is full of items that I regard as healthy - home-cooked meals, fruit, and plenty of veg. I just want to reduce the treats with something better.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Ultimately my goal is moderation and self control... BUT I found I had no self control with sweets in the home. I'd say "no" a thousand times in a day, but in a brief moment of weakness, I'd say "yes" It was EXHAUSTING. I decided to exercise my self control in a different way by not bringing it into the home in the first place. It's a lot easier to make those food decisions when you're feeling strong.

Slowly over time, as I have gained better control over my eating, I have been able reintroduce foods into my home and onto my plate. It's a PROCESS. Two steps forward, one step back. If I find that I'm spiraling out of control with a certain food, I'll eliminate it for a period of time and then try slowly introducing it again.

Don't let people try to convince you that you HAVE to keep these foods in your home because "you're going to come across them in your life and you have to deal with them" Why set yourself up for failure time and time again. If you know you have a problem with certain foods then keep them out of the house until you are in a mental place where you can learn to exercise moderation.

Best of luck to you!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    For me I learned to take the portion I plan to eat to wherever I'm going to eat and then put the big box/bag/container away. If it's not sitting in front of me I won't eat it but I can still enjoy treats in small portions.
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I emptied my house of all 'temptations' and stuck to what I think of as 'healthy foods'. I had terrible willpower, and this really helped me.

Once I got through the first month or so, and starting seeing the weight drop off, this was enough motivation for me, and I re-introduced junk food into the house again. I've finally learnt to eat in moderations, now there's all sorts of crap here and it's just how I want it to be :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

They were built up over a long period of time. There is a lot of variety in there but it's not like I have a gallon of ice cream or 20 packets of biscuits stored. I regard them as treats because I'm not eating them day in day out. Not sure without knowing me how you can determine that they are my way of life? I'm at maintenance and am not snacking on this stuff all the time. My diary is full of items that I regard as healthy - home-cooked meals, fruit, and plenty of veg. I just want to reduce the treats with something better.

I dont know you, thats right so I just go on the information that you provided. You mentioned you had a "rather large stock of frozen cheesecake, ice cream, cakes, and the cupboard full of candies, cookies, chocolate bars, pastries, and the rest" and now you are saying "but it's not like I have a gallon of ice cream or 20 packets of biscuits stored".

Confused.com
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    You need to learn to indulge in moderation. If you always try to avoid things you like, one day you'll come across them and eat all you can, and then feel really bad about it. If you give in to your temptations on a daily basis, but only in small amounts, you'll live happy alongside your treats!
    No need to eat the whole cake in one sitting, if you can have one piece of it each day. You won't eat a whole box of cookies if you allow yourself one cookie after lunch or dinner. Have a chocolate bar once a week, and you won't have to battle against it.
    Live with it, instead of fighting against it.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I just don't have it in my house. Even now that I am on maintenance. Whatever I eat, I log. I keep dark chocolate squares individually wrapped for a once a day treat. I log them when I eat them.