Amazing new findings about ED - could be curable with....antibiotics!

13»

Replies

• Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    And my terrible use of hyperlinks made the whole thing weird. So let's try this again....

I suggest you read one of these links so you can stop assuming that it's a cure all and that I'm making this ***** up. Additionally, read the whole thread, I've already had this conversation with people. If you choose to be ignorant and close-minded to better understanding a disease more scientifically, that's on you, but I choose to be excited at the prospect that the medical causes the psychological and there could be a lot more in the future that we could do for eating disorders.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141007103308.htm
    https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/science-ticker/gut-bacteria-protein-linked-anorexia-and-bulimia
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2783866/Could-eating-disorders-one-day-treated-antibiotics-Scientists-bacteria-gut-affect-appetite.html
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/anorexia-and-bulimia-may-be-closer-digestive-illnesses-not-psychiatric-ones-306409

Let me point out, that three of these four articles are in publications meant for DOCTORS, PSYCHOLOGISTS, AND SCIENTISTS. Not the average person. It's not just something someone cooked up in their basement, it's for real. Sorry.

Did you know scientists, psychologists, and doctors have been wrong before?

• SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    You keep saying sorry as you passive aggressively call "people" close minded, ignorant, stupid etc. Just because you say sorry doesn't make it okay to insult people btw and tells a lot about how you deal with discussions/disagreements.

Oh, no, I can be more clear if you'd like. If you are going to say that this study is straight up wrong, then you are close minded and ignorant. Also, I've responded to these same questions multiple times in this forum, so it's why I'm getting to the end of my rope with my patience.

• SpockAdventures

Did you know scientists, psychologists, and doctors have been wrong before?

[/quote]

Unless you are a doctor, scientist and psychologist I am going to go ahead and say that you are far more likely to be wrong about this then they. Just based on education and expertise.

• NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    They've shown there is a correlation between the gut bacteria and eating habits. Mice with this bacteria may develop anorexia, but it is very important to note that they are using the term anorexia to mean a loss of appetite and a loss of weight, both physical symptoms. "Anorexia nervosa" is the psychological eating disorder, and I'm skeptical of any scientist who claims that they can treat anorexia nervosa by fighting this bacteria.
  • SpockAdventures
    NaurielR wrote: »
    They've shown there is a correlation between the gut bacteria and eating habits. Mice with this bacteria may develop anorexia, but it is very important to note that they are using the term anorexia to mean a loss of appetite and a loss of weight, both physical symptoms. "Anorexia nervosa" is the psychological eating disorder, and I'm skeptical of any scientist who claims that they can treat anorexia nervosa by fighting this bacteria.

And you're allowed to be skeptical! Just as I am allowed to be hopeful that this could be a positive finding.

I'll reiterate one more time for those that are saying I am straight up wrong...

I did not make this up. This is a study, a link that I am sharing with those that might be interested. Telling me how wrong I am is pointless cause I didn't come up with the study. It's okay to be skeptical! Just direct it in the right direction!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    You keep saying sorry as you passive aggressively call "people" close minded, ignorant, stupid etc. Just because you say sorry doesn't make it okay to insult people btw and tells a lot about how you deal with discussions/disagreements.

Oh, no, I can be more clear if you'd like. If you are going to say that this study is straight up wrong, then you are close minded and ignorant. Also, I've responded to these same questions multiple times in this forum, so it's why I'm getting to the end of my rope with my patience.

And I gave my reasons that the study was wrong in regards to acting like you can just "cure" anorexia or bullimia in such a "simple" way.

Also, I'd suggest you read the guidelines :wink:

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Op, people are not being close minded. They are simply not accepting this suspicious information on blind faith. They are attempting to have a discussion. You are not being open to the discussion. And they have all made very important points. I don't have much to add because it's already been brought up by others.

Regardless, this is not going to be a cure for all eating disorders. Anyone that has ever personally experienced an ED knows very well the psychological origins of it, often extending far back into childhood.

They can continue with the research and if some good comes from that then that will be great. But this is not going to be the answer for all eating disorders, and people are not going to have false hope and choose to stop understanding and addressing the psychological elements of eating disorders.

It really doesn't help the way you keep trying to shut down the important conversation. They are responding to the info, not to you personally.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    I have to agree with the people here who state that you may be overstating the potential effect on people with ED.

The definition of "Anorexia" is "a lack or loss of appetite, resulting in the inability to eat". Anorexia, in and of itself is not an eating disorder.

Anorexia Nervosa, however, is a mental illness. In true anorexia nervosa, there is no loss of appetite. It is a psychological disorder.

In this study, they have used the term anorexia in its literal sense (lack or loss of appetite), not in the commonly known sense, which as a shorthand for anorexia nervosa - the eating disorder.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    And my terrible use of hyperlinks made the whole thing weird. So let's try this again....

I suggest you read one of these links so you can stop assuming that it's a cure all and that I'm making this ***** up. Additionally, read the whole thread, I've already had this conversation with people. If you choose to be ignorant and close-minded to better understanding a disease more scientifically, that's on you, but I choose to be excited at the prospect that the medical causes the psychological and there could be a lot more in the future that we could do for eating disorders.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141007103308.htm
    https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/science-ticker/gut-bacteria-protein-linked-anorexia-and-bulimia
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2783866/Could-eating-disorders-one-day-treated-antibiotics-Scientists-bacteria-gut-affect-appetite.html
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/anorexia-and-bulimia-may-be-closer-digestive-illnesses-not-psychiatric-ones-306409

Let me point out, that three of these four articles are in publications meant for DOCTORS, PSYCHOLOGISTS, AND SCIENTISTS. Not the average person. It's not just something someone cooked up in their basement, it's for real. Sorry.

They why are you reading them? I'm not trying to be an *kitten*, but if they're not for the "average person" none of us should be reading this, well, actually, I believe there are a few psychologists here, and there may be some doctors and scientists as well. The point being, we can all be wrong. Just like you mentioned, you struggle with Bipolar Disorder, and you don't claim to know everything there is to know about it. I live with Borderline Personality Disorder, Bipolar's ugly sister. I most certainly don't know everything there is to know about it, nor PCOS which I was born with, or, Obstetric Fistula, which I am a survivor of, however, I am damn educated in all three, because I either live with these on a daily basis, and will die with them, or I am a survivor.

What does this have to do with anything? It makes a person skeptical when they see new research out saying that perhaps what they've either struggled with their entire life, or living with, may be caused by something that is just absolutely "out there", and can be "cured" but something extremely simple. As a person living with Bipolar Disorder, I don't have to tell you, that treatment isn't a one size fits all deal. If all of a sudden, I presented you with a scientific finding that said, "Bipolar Disorder NOT a mental illness! Cured simply by removal of tonsils" would you not step back for a moment, and think, I have suffered greatly in my life- how DARE someone say this isn't a mental illness. How DARE some scientist trivialize what I've been through, and MILLIONS of others saying that a "cure" is as simple as taking out our tonsils! This is complete and utter BS! I want to see some REAL proof of this!

It's a slap in the face to those who are survivors of ED's, and those suffering to trivialize what they've been through, and what they're going through, when this is merely a scientific hypothesis and not yet a proven fact, as we've not see a human being be "cured" in this manner. THIS is why some are understandably upset.

Don't get me wrong, I wish there was a cure for ED. I wish there was a cure for every mental illness. I wouldn't wish any of this upon my worst enemy, but the fact of the matter is, there's not. We only have treatments. We do the best we can, with what we've got to work with. Compassion and support for your brothers and sisters struggling goes a long way. It's not easy living with an illness or addiction. You spend the rest of your life in recovery. It would be wonderful to be able to take an antibiotic and it all go away, but like so many others here, until I actually *see* it happen with a human being, I can be presented with all a thousand hypothesis and it will mean nothing without results.
  • xothinnyminnyxo
    xothinnyminnyxo Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    delete
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I believe that EDs are chemical - both the EDs that make people overeat and the ones that make people undereat - but I'm not too convinced about stomach bacteria.

It's a nice thought, though.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I believe that EDs are chemical - both the EDs that make people overeat and the ones that make people undereat - but I'm not too convinced about stomach bacteria.

It's a nice thought, though.

They can't only be chemical. So many people struggle with them for direct environmental reasons, and then fully recover.

• As someone who has struggled and almost died from anorexia (as well as knows many others who suffer from EDNOS, anorexia, bulimia, COED) I think that this study does have some merit and we should be hopeful instead of brushing it off - at the same time, there is still a lot more that needs to be studied here.

I agree there is a mental component to ED. But that doesn't mean it's entirely psychological. What if this is just the start of understanding the physical causes/symptoms? We have been wrong about disorders and other diseases before. Although this might not be a cure all for ED, it may be a helpful tool in the recovery process. I think we should always be looking to further our understandings, and I would love to have another way to support my recovery.

@Miss_1999 Also, I certainly don't take it as an insult that someone might suggest that ED is not entirely psychological. That doesn't minimize my struggle at all.
  • SpockAdventures
    baum7934 wrote: »
    As someone who has struggled and almost died from anorexia (as well as knows many others who suffer from EDNOS, anorexia, bulimia, COED) I think that this study does have some merit and we should be hopeful instead of brushing it off - at the same time, there is still a lot more that needs to be studied here.

I agree there is a mental component to ED. But that doesn't mean it's entirely psychological. What if this is just the start of understanding the physical causes/symptoms? We have been wrong about disorders and other diseases before. Although this might not be a cure all for ED, it may be a helpful tool in the recovery process. I think we should always be looking to further our understandings, and I would love to have another way to support my recovery.

@Miss_1999 Also, I certainly don't take it as an insult that someone might suggest that ED is not entirely psychological. That doesn't minimize my struggle at all.

First and foremost, let me say I am sorry to hear your struggle, but so happy you are here to respond to this post, because it means you are winning. I have a very good friend who nearly died just over two years ago and I have talked with her extensively about the experience, as well as her recovery and it's so complex that I wouldn't even begin to categorize it as EITHER purely physiological or psychological.

Second, I thoroughly appreciate that you can see that this breakthrough has the potential to be a MAJOR aid in the recovery process - I mean, can you imagine if you didn't have to slowly reintroduce food into your system because your body had become so intolerant, and instead you could take a schedule of antibiotics that would allow you to start eating again without the physical repercussions? Then you have the psychological left, and you can give your full support and attention to those issues!

Third, I thank you for not being insulted - I feel really passionately about understanding all mental illnesses and the physiological components to them - no one deserves to suffer at the will of their own mind and body. Every step forward is a hopeful one, even if a small one.

@Miss_1999 Just because studies are written for medical and science professionals doesn't mean the rest of us can't keep up with the latest in research. I personally find these things fascinating.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I don't think you really understand about eating disorders.

Sorry, I'm not going to keep sugar coating my responses - you are all telling me that I am wrong when this is a finding SCIENTISTS are discovering IT'S FACT BASED and while it may not be the total solution it is a possible cause to eating disorders. Stop being so stubborn and refusing to acknowledge that we don't know everything about everything. I never said I did, and I am not the that conducted the study or wrote the article.

I fully understand that this is very personal for a lot of people. It's personal to me, ti's why I care about it. But just because you experienced an eating disorder doesn't mean you know everything about it. I live with bipolar, and I am happy to say that I don't know everything about it. Only stupid people assume there is nothing more to learn. Sorry.

It's personal to you because of your friend? Have you ever had a full blown ED? Why do you think you know anything about it?

Discounting the opinions of people who have struggled with anorexia or bulimia about their experiences, and being combative because their experiences are not consistent with this study, is ignorant at best, offensive at worst.

Are you even listening to yourself? When you spend the better part of your life fighting a disorder that is inherently a psychological disorder, proven time and time again, then you can talk about being stupid. Until then, why don't you take a step back from the conversation and learn how to be respectful to the people here who are brave enough to not only fight this disease, but also talk about it candidly.