WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did 1 segment of "10 Minute Solution Butt Lift" DVD, held my plank for 2 min 35 sec, and then 1 hr of the extremepump class. Tomorrow I'm planning to do some stepping on the AMT, wish the Y still had that step machine.

After the pump class I'll take the donations to the soup kitchen, come home and ice the cake for Lynette, go to bowling, then Vince will go to the bank while I take the cake to Lynette. I didn't realize but by using a debit card, they aren't as secure as a credit card. Makes sense when you think about it. So we're going to see if I can get a debit card and we'll only put like $200 on it. I'll use that card when I go to Aldi. So if someone gets that card, they only get $200, they don't have access to our checking account.

When we go bowling, I take my mug of water in with me. Today I'm just going to take in my 34oz cup, not my 54oz one. I have a feeling that I may not need as much water since it's getting cooler out. I'll take some carrots and leave them in the car for when we're finished.

kataniki - wecome! Tell us more about your son's eye problems

Joyce - I go for my regular physical tomorrow. Hope your visit goes well

Lesley - at times our bodies change and what we've done previously just doesn't work any more. I know that's happened to me. I usually exercise every day, but I do have to admit that Sunday is an "active recovery" day for me, usually just doing balance games on the Wii, or some pilates, so something that doesn't require a lot of energy input but still keeps me moving.

Sylvia - playing the piano is supposed to help with math, not sure about the reasoning

Jan - I hate dealing with insurance companies, too. Good luck to you!

Lesley UK - I sure hope you feel better fast. vertigo is no fun. Glad you had a good time at the zoo. I'm right now making these plastic canvas coasters for the kids and us for Christmas. Truthfully, I'm getting a bit tired of plastic canvas so this'll probably be the last project like this. Out of 12 I still have about 6 more to go. I only started this in Feb., you would think by now that I'd have gotten more done. Good luck to you

Brenda from MD - my heart breaks for your daughter. It's wonderful of you to be so helpful to her at this time

Heather - I say go for that LBD!

Katla and Kim - the first year I was on my own, I was REALLY broke, so I made cookies for everyone. That was the year I first strung popcorn (a 50 cent bag of popcorn is cheaper than garland) and loved the look so I've been doing it every year since, even tho the price of popcorn has gone up

katla - I find that my plateaus seem to be at the same weight with minor fluctuations. Wish I could get off and KEEP OFF a few more pounds.

Terri - good for you taking your crochet to bowling! What are you making? I took carrots and just water to our senior bowling today. I only took my 34oz cup but I think next time I'll take my 54oz mug. I'll probably have some that I need to bring home, but that's OK.

After bowling took the cake to Lynette and then we went to the bank where I got another debit card. We'll only keep like $200 on it so that's the most anyone can get. Came home and got dinner ready, just have to put it in the microwave. Mahjongg tonight. Your son averages 174???? I consider myself real lucky if I get a strike! I know that I have a mean backup ball and I have trouble controlling it. Men! Can't live without them, even IF they don't have a clue what kale is....lol I don't think I'll ever buy kale again without smiling. Oh, I asked Vince if he knew what kale was. He said "it's some sort of vegetable". Well, at least he knew it was a vegetable! Then he said "wasn't that a NASCAR driver -- Cale Yarborough? I know he was just joking when he said that.

Once/month they (and I don't know who pays for this) bring in cookies, etc to celebrate all the birthdays that month. Actually, one of the ladies is celebrating her 90th birthday this month. Anyway, I was glad that I took my carrots into bowling with me

Donna - congrats on that great loss

barbie - when do you get the results of Jake's test? Hope everything is fine

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD: I’m happy that the medical conference in Portland had some good things to offer you. I haven’t had to sell a house in years and wouldn’t look forward to it, but someday I might look forward to a positive move that put me closer to my kids. It sounds as though you have a plan of action and will follow through. :flowerforyou: Will there be good horse facilities in the area you’re considering? My last riding lesson did make me happy. I think I’ve found an excellent instructor who is willing to teach me the things I most want to learn. This is the first time that I’ve had an agenda for riding lessons. In past experiences, I let the instructor teach me whatever they thought I should know. This time I know what I want to learn and have an instructor who is wiling to help me work toward my goals. It makes a huge difference. :bigsmile:

Lesley in Tasmania: We have one toxic neighbor in our little community. His house has been for sale often. He never accepts good offers though. I think he puts it on the market to express his anger toward the rest of us. If he really wanted to sell he’d have accepted a reasonable offer long ago and moved away. :grumble:

Jane: I’m glad your doctor visit was so productive. Take care of yourself! :flowerforyou:

MN Margaret: I used to love pomegranates as a kid but haven’t had one in years. I haven’t had the patience to peel them and get the seeds for myself. I may have to rethink that. :wink:

Sylvia: Love the joke today! :laugh:

Barbie: Your day sounds long, but generally positive. I love riding the ferries in WA! :heart: That part would have been a treat. Leaving the car behind and taking a taxi to the doctor’s office in Seattle is a fine idea. It is a huge improvement over trying to drive there. I hope Jake is doing well. :flowerfoyou:

We hauled a bunch of tools from our garage to the storage unit today. Yay! The garage is looking better and will hopefully function better. DH has used it as a workshop over the years, but doesn’t put things away afterward and has collected too many large drills, grinders, and so on. The plan is for him to use part of the storage unit as his workshop. There is plenty of room there! He used up a lot of energy doing this and is now in bed. It is weird that I’m the one doing the heavy lifting. I am woman, hear me roar! :laugh: :wink:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well here goes!!!!! I think I will only talk about a couple of days of our vacation at a time.
    We headed out on Sunday the 12th. We go in two cars. My youngest daughter just loves her brother in law and they are so much more alike in so many ways. They love their loud rock music, just headbanging down the road. He is the back bone of his family, really if I think about it Michelle was in hers also then divorced him since he was very immature, couldn't keep what was in his pants to himself and did not respect thier joint checking accounts. So she has a decent GPS on her tablet, I have the Triptic from AAA. We have our Garmin GPS but it is old, basic and does not receive computer updates. I bought a Tom Tom last Christmas that does get updates but I can't find it!!! We do fine until we get down to the Nashville, Tn area. First Michelle and Paul get lost and end up in the ghettos. They eventually find the interstate again but by that time we are lost. By the time we get back on the interstate Michelle is about 20 miles ahead of us. We were to meet my brother right across the Alabama, Tn state line at a rest stop for lunch and Michlle gets there before we do. We see my brother once a year so it was such a joy to see their grand kids, especially the new born. My youngest grand child knows no enemy and their oldest is the same way. So they had a great time. They sent all the leftover food with us.

Now Alabama is a different story! We all use Sprint towers for our cell service and I don't think Alabama is very Sprint friendly!!!! Most of the state we had no service at all. So we couldn't communicate at all. We really need Walkie Talkies!!! So we both got lost at the same time in different places. Eventually we both met up again. My trip tic says this trip is supposed to be 9 hours 31 minutes. Now I know that does not count potty breaks and meals. But by the time we got to the rental office to pick up our keys is was 13 hours. Oh, Sunday morning as we were packing the cars I realized I never made the final payment! So I called several times waiting for them to open up, just hoping that they would accept it that late.

When we got there the house was amazing. It looked like a 4 plex that was converted to a duplex. So we had two of each, kitchen, living room, dining room, laundry room, kind bedroom and bedroom with 2 queens. All bedrooms had large double sinks. Oh also 2 decks. We immediately put our stuff in our rooms we picked out and went down to the beach. We just sat there in the wonderful sand and watched the waves, dug our feet in the sand, found little sand crabs, got to know neighbors and had a grand time. Then reality set in for the adults. We had no food. So made a Walmart run.

Monday was rainy so we took an indoor touristy thing and went to 'Wonderworks' which is an upside down house. It isn't actually upside down, just on the outside. Kind of like in Wizard of Oz when the house lands on the witches legs. It was a real neat childrens museum type place. Wonderful things for kids and families to do to encourage imagination. Went to a Mexican place to eat supper and then back to our house. Tuesday and Wednesday come tomorrow!!!

Going to try to put my ticker on after reading some one explain in simple terms.
    31525894.png

It worked!!! Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I made a great soup tonight, it is a cajun(but not that hot) shrimp chowder... a cup was 227 calories for a creamy soup. I am not usually a good soup maker, and I would change a couple of things with this one, it calls for 1/2 of the soup to be pureed and 1/2 left chunky, I would puree a greater percentage; but overall yum! and 1 cup of soup and a salad and I was a happy girl.

Sylvia – you never carved a pumpkin? Wow – I carve a couple every year, they are tough, I think the bigger ones are easier as you don’t have to be so precise. :smile: One year I did about 10, all different leaves it was from the Martha Stewart mag... what a pain... she is an over achiever! smiley-excited001.gif

Yanniejannie – I can not believe the race director is so short sighted… but some times we have to be forced to step back and look at a situation; and it may be that DH is right this is time for you to step away from this race, and some other amazing opportunity will step in and take it’s place.

Lesley in Uk – hope you are feeling better!

Brenda – sending good thoughts your way, the Y or other exercise outlet needs to be part of the plan… it will get you off the sofa and that will be good for you. Sorry sad :cry: for your daughter, glad you are there to help...

Heather – what is an LBD? I am glad you are going to see your brother and family… I made the zucchini tots - yummy, think I would like them a bit spicier; maybe with swiss cheese? or a sprinkle of smoky paprika...

Katla – I have been making gifts as long as I can remember, some from the kitchen, some crafty and other stuff… I do buy occasionally but mostly for the kids Later: I love I am woman hear me roar!!!

Jane – glad you saw the Dr.; hopefully this will send you on the mend

Margaret – wish you were close, I have a pomegranate tree in the yard, with our drought it did not have as many this year only about 70

Barbie – hope the results of everything is good for DH…

Joyce – love the first 2 days of vacation travel….

October Goals:
    Breathe
    Log every day
    Walk every day

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    LBD=little black dress maybe??? Or I guess it could be long black dress. Either one works
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Joyce - a good guess! It is Little Black Dress. :flowerforyou:
    - I had been trying to steer myself away from black as I naturally gravitate towards it, or black and white, but I saw so many women in enviable LBDs while I was away that I am going to go for it. :laugh:

Slept very, very badly last night. Spent about three hours reading as an alternative to tossing and turning. :ohwell: I think I was annoyed with myself as, after closing my food diary, I went on a mini binge and ate another 320 calories! ! ! ! ! ! ! :embarassed: Yikes!
    Vicki - You can see by this that we all have some off moments! :flowerforyou: I will put it behind me today and start again. DH is off to football so I have the danger of being alone in the house. I will not have an evening drink as that always lowers my willpower. I have a meal all prepared and just have to pick some chard from the garden.

Kim - parmesan works well for me, but I have taken to serving them with side bowls of chutney or chilli jam. A blob of creme fraiche (half fat) is a nice extra. For me one of the best things is you can freeze them and just pop them, defrosted, in the oven for a few minutes to refresh.

Congrats to the lady who lost over 6 lbs! :drinker: Oh those heady days! Sooooo exciting!

Yoga today, so have to curb my eating, unless I fit in some extra exercise. Last week I did some rowing. I hate not being able to eat.

For tickers - I am on my Android tablet and, having copied it once, provided I do not copy anything else, I only have to press and paste to get my ticker up now.

Heather in very windy and rainy Hampshire UK.
    27681614.png
  • donnamwebb39
    donnamwebb39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Today was an off kind of day. Mentally I mean. I did my exercise (all the while telling myself that I didn't want to) so that is good. Hoping for better mood tomorrow.

Jane - I hope you feel better. Glad you got to the doctor to get what you needed.

Margaret - Thank you and love your animations.

Molly - Thank you, and loved the joke. (Coincidentally, I had to change a light bulb today)

Michele - Thank you. I admire your plank time! The best I have been able to hold one is for 60 seconds.

75507908.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    wow i slept 10 and a 1/2 hours had some crazy dreams.. and feel exsuasted.. something is up,I have to get my hynnie in gear.. at least go for a walk, i have fallen off the wagon, and it doesnt feel good.
    I am counting the days until we go to florida, I think I am just getting burned out.. running here there and everywhere..
    but you gotta do what you gotta do..
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies! Oh how I would love to join your group.... I am in such bad need of some support and encouragement. :\ From the looks of your post, it looks like your all doing such a wonderful job of supporting each other.

Kelley (50) in Texas
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Kelley … welcome!

I spoke too soon … After a great weekend and a really positive day yesterday, DS#2 has another migraine! Have an emergency appointment with his neurologist this morning. He tried his best to deal with it and go to school … so upset when he couldn’t manage it! Our frustration is palpable.

Donna … congratulations on the first week’s loss! Fantastic!

Yanniejannie … I feel your pain … dealing with insurance companies is like having a full-time job you dread. My oldest son was born 16 weeks prematurely 28 years ago and spent 3 months in the NICU … and as you can imagine, he’s had countless procedures and therapies since then. Add his insurance claims to those of DS#2 with the migraines and my husband who has chronic pain issues … the insurance issues never end. I do have to say, though, that for the most part most of our problems stem from the providers and not the insurance company. Our carrier has paid hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years ... and we hang on to this carrier with a death grip!! Right now, dealing with a claim from a genetic testing company who has completely botched up the claim … they sent claim repeatedly to wrong insurance carrier … they haven’t even mailed results to anyone … correct insurance company says it wasn’t filed in timely manner … etc., etc., ad nauseum. So company has mailed me a bill for $4800.00. That’s not happening!

Brenda … praying for you and your daughter. I can only imagine how hard this must be. And don’t apologize … you’re not “rambling” … it’s more like decompressing … and we all need to do it when life gets overwhelming. In fact, that's what a lot of the ladies on this board are doing ...

Heather … we’ll want to see the LBD you know!

I’ll check back in later.
    Beth

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.Thanks for the well wishes.
    Not happy about the predisone,makes me anxious.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Kim from NCA: Martha Stewart has a staff. Never underestimate the value of good help. :laugh: The last time we had a Christmas together, the kids decided we would draw one person to buy for. I got my DSIL and didn’t know him at all at well. I struggled with gift choices and did my best. The person who drew me didn’t know me at all. AARRGGHH! If we do this again, I think each person should be REQUIRED to supply a wish list or we all give personally made gifts. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’ve had my hands into the Halloween candy the past couple of days. :ohwell: I should take it out to the freezer, but it is sitting there within easy access. I hope there is still some by the time DD gets here! I can always spend time on the bike if I go over so that I balance myself back out. I :heart: that bike! I have yoga today, too. :bigsmile:
    Alison: I have always been amazed by all the things that you do in your busy life. Most of them are kind acts to help others. You matter, too. Take care of yourself along with everybody else. :flowerforyou:

Kelley in TX: Welcome!!!!

Yoga this morning and I’m looking forward to it. My teacher has given notice to us that she will be quitting teaching in favor of gainful employment that pays better. :cry: Her family needs come first. She did find another job and is currently doing that part time as well as continuing to teach yoga. I’m not sure how long she’ll be able to keep that up. The place where she gives her lessons also has a man yoga teacher who teaches several nights a week. I prefer mornings, but may try his class out and see what I think. There is a recreational facility in the next town that has a yoga class. I’ve never been to the class, but have a friend who likes it. In January my insurance will have Silver Sneakers available and I may join then.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Feeling good today. Another 1/2 pound lost. This slow pace can be frustrating, but I know it is worth it. I will get a lunch break today, so I can get on the bike for awhile. Plus DH and I will go to the grocery store, so that is a little walking, too.

Michele - I crochet whatever the yarn tells me. This time it is a modified granny square, with black and hot pink. It will either be a pillow case, lap blanket, or shawl, depending on how much yarn I find hiding in my "yarn hoarding closet". Last week I finished a full set for the baby my neice is having in January.

The highest bowling score I have ever achieved is 101. My DS was better than me by the time he turned 6 y.o. I was told "you drive the car and write the checks, nothing else". So I take my crochet and check book.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back to it. I am back to work as of yesterday and very tired already. I am not sure I like the new way to find this thread!

Rita from CT
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Boy, do I feel good this morning! The scale was at 185.0! That is a new all time low! Well, at least since I was 24 years old, 35 years ago! I tried and tried to get it to go below that, with three trips to the bathroom trying to squeeze out every drop, but no luck. Maybe tomorrow.

It was so foggy this morning that when I opened the garage door I looked in the rear view mirror and thought it was still down. It was a white wall of fog! So it was slow going this morning taking the kids to school, but we made it safely. Then met hubby at the Y and I did my weights while he did his cardio. Then to walmart to get some fruit and other foodstuffs to have at the studio for lunch. Hubby is coming after 12:30 sometime. I like it when he comes here for lunch instead of us going out.

I had sort of an epiphany as I was driving out of the parking lot of walmart. I just glanced at the Casey's convenience store and my immediate thought was "ooh, I should stop and get a cruller." Just an instinctual sudden thought. But now I am able dismiss those thoughts almost as fast as they occur. In the past I would have stopped and gotten that stupid donut without a second thought. Who am I kidding, I would have gotten two, and maybe some chips too - and a chocolate milk to wash it down. Today I thought of the fresh peaches I just bought and the baked chicken sitting in my fridge. I don't know at what point those thoughts will stop, if ever, but it seems like progress somehow that I don't have to act on them anymore.

Kelley, Welcome! What part of Texas are you from? I have a baby brother in Temple.

Brenda, I'm so sorry about your son's migraines. I wish he could get some relief!

Katla, In our family it's me that hoards power tools. I love them! I have drill presses, routers, a table saw, and loads of other stuff. I built the display furniture in my gallery, but nothing lately. Maybe I need a storage unit. (By the way, I think I did hear you roar!)

After not doing diddly-squat in my studio for about a year (because I was afraid I was going to die) I am in a very active phase right now. I have pots drying in every possible space and more that I want to make. I love it! What I don't love is glazing stuff, which is going to have to happen soon. I want to get the gallery stuffed with goodies for my holiday sale.

Well, I'd better get back to it. Have a great day!

Sylvia
    45477098.png

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I forgot to post the joke of the day:

:)

A woman was arrested for shoplifting. When she went before the judge he asked her, “What did you steal?” She replied: “a can of peaches.” The judge asked her why she had stolen them and she replied that she was hungry. The judge then asked her how many peaches were in the can. She replied 5. The judge then said, “I will give you 5 days in jail.”

Before the judge could actually pronounce the punishment the woman’s husband spoke up and asked the judge if he could say something. The judge said, “What is it?”

The husband said, “She also stole a can of peas.”

>:)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago we were talking about phone types and plans and I said I would post when I renewed mine. I have a Tracfone plan and got 2,400 phone minutes and a year of service for $127.61 today.........so I'm more than set for the coming year!

More later, got to run. Best to everybody!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yanniejannie, do you know if you can get a tracphone and keep your number? I desperately need to find a cheaper plan for my DH. He uses about 3 minutes a year, but wants a phone for when he wants it. (3 minutes may be a bit of an under estimation, but not by much!)
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping the docs can figure out what is happening with me. They don't think it is heart related so there is my silver lining.
    Yesterday was pretty much a wash although I did still go to work. Blood sugar was wonky making me dizzy and fuzzy.
    Today things seem to be going much better. DD is doing henna today, so very excited to see pics of end result. DH is out and about trying to replace the remote for my car and the one for the recliner.
    I have a walk with a friend slated in for late this afternoon.
    Thankful for the warm Oct. weather here in Alberta.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Good evening!
    Managed OK with eating today - only over by 80 cals, which is great for a yoga day. Had to resort to shiritaki noodles this evening with spices to get me through. :D But I didn't have my alcoholic drink so that helped.
    - Tomorrow we are off to London to see DH's younger daughter. We have a meal booked for 6.15 at a fish restaurant. I have a 20% off voucher. :laugh:
    - First we are going to the British Museum to see the Ming exhibition. We won't have to catch an early train so we can get our exercise done first.
    - Waiting for DH to get home from the football. He arrives home near midnight. :o
    -
    Love to all. Heather in calmer Hampshire UK.