Thoughts on my diary?

Options
Looking for some input regarding my diary. 232lb, 64inches, 30 year old female.

Would appreciate any input. Not seeing a change in clothes or weight since I started tracking again 10/6. Was hoping to see at least a pound or two difference, or have some loser fit in clothing. Tape measurements have not changed either.

Replies

• fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Can 2 spoons of mayo be 200 cals? Switch to a lighter option as condiments really are only for flavour. Just an idea.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Not bad :)

I'd probably go a light mayo, diet coke. Not sure what those hamburger makers are like though but I'd probably swap that for something like grilled chicken breast with veggies/salad/baked sweet potato.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything, so yes unfortunately it's 200 calories. That's the only condiment I regularly consume and only when I eat tuna fish.

I cannot drink diet sodas, or consume any artificial sugar (or stevia, or agave syrup). Hamburger helper is a load of processed crap, but I'm out of chicken so that's what was for dinner.

I'm a little concerned if my calories are correct as far as burns/consumption. Do I have too much or too little of a deficit? Or is it just right?
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Instead of mayo in the tuna, try plain greek yogurt. might cut out a few calories
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with the higher calorie mayo if she's fitting it in with her calorie goal?

OP, are you using a food scale? It's a little unclear as to whether you actually do or are guessing the weight. If you aren't, then you are probably eating more than you think and I highly suggest you invest in one ASAP (it's about $15-$40 depending on the brand).

How are you calculating your burns and is your calorie goal 1700? Did MFP give this to you or are you following the TDEE Method?

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't long enough to see much in way of results. Additionally, how are you figuring your exercise calories? Most people would eat only half because MFP overestimates them. Are you weighing and measuring everything?
  • 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try also adding in your goals, Sodium and Carbs and Sugar. So you are not having to much as i see you only do have Calories, Protein, Fiber, and you do need to know the others. For one Sodium is quite high on USA diets, and Sodium/Salt can hold weight, ie bloating stomach and water retention.

If you cannot go on diet drinks, then swap for water with lemon juice or any fruit juices add water instead of diet drinks.

Mayo, why don't you find a recipe and make your own? its very easy to make and you then know you are eating healthier rather than shop bought which contains many chemicals.

All these extra, sugar, sodium and strange chemicals in foods, can cause bloatedness.

Hope this helps x

• PikaKnight
    Options
    Try also adding in your goals, Sodium and Carbs and Sugar. So you are not having to much as i see you only do have Calories, Protein, Fiber, and you do need to know the others. For one Sodium is quite high on USA diets, and Sodium/Salt can hold weight, ie bloating stomach and water retention.

If you cannot go on diet drinks, then swap for water with lemon juice or any fruit juices add water instead of diet drinks.

Mayo, why don't you find a recipe and make your own? its very easy to make and you then know you are eating healthier rather than shop bought which contains many chemicals.

All these extra, sugar, sodium and strange chemicals in foods, can cause bloatedness.

Hope this helps x

You do know that everything contains chemicals, right?
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    Yes, I use a food scale, or measuring cups to correctly portion all food.

I think this number came from MFP. However I have done the TDEE and my BMR is around 1900, TDEE around 2500. Minus 750 for a 1.5lb/wk deficit brings me to 1750. I don't fret too much, main goal in mind is to stay under 2000.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You are staying within your calorie goals, eating tasty food. I see fruits and veggies. Lookin' good.

I'd personally cut out the coke and mayo, but that is me, and I would replace those 340 calories with a few snacks between meals.
  • PikaKnight
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes, I use a food scale, or measuring cups to correctly portion all food.

I think this number came from MFP. However I have done the TDEE and my BMR is around 1900, TDEE around 2500. Minus 750 for a 1.5lb/wk deficit brings me to 1750. I don't fret too much, main goal in mind is to stay under 2000.

Well, my suggestion is to use the food scale for everything and stop relying on cups and such to measure your food out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

And a great video showing the differences in cals per serving when measuring vs weighing it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Two weeks isn't long enough to see much in way of results.

^Also this.

• al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You're not very tall, so it could be that your calorie goal is just a little high to be losing. I'm 5'6'' and I don't lose when I net what you're netting right now. That's all fairly variable, but just throwing it out there.

Are you using a HRM when you workout? If you're going by MFP to log workouts and you're eating back most of the calories, you should deduct a portion of the MFP estimate as it is quite high.

• PikaKnight
    edited October 2014
    Options
    al369 wrote: »
    You're not very tall, so it could be that your calorie goal is just a little high to be losing. I'm 5'6'' and I don't lose when I net what you're netting right now. That's all fairly variable, but just throwing it out there.

Are you using a HRM when you workout? If you're going by MFP to log workouts and you're eating back most of the calories, you should deduct a portion of the MFP estimate as it is quite high.

She may be 2 inches shorter than you but she does have a lot of weight to lose so trying to compare your calorie goals based on just height isn't correct.

• justagirl2013
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I only use cups for liquids, everything else is weighed out. I was tracking very heavily about 2 years ago but quit and stopped everything including exercise. BTW the biggest eyeopener was my oatmeal. A 1/2 cup and the 32gr (i think it is, i'd have to check package), are two entirely different amounts. So yes, I'm a big fan of weighing.

I have not consumed back any exercise calories, as I do not have a HRM anymore. I do have a fitbit, but I do not trust the accuracy of it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Two weeks isn't long enough to see much in way of results.

YAY for licking the spoon!
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    I'm not trying to rush this, I want that to be clear. I just want to make sure that I'm off to a good, yet mangeable start. I want to have some flexibility to increase if needed, but not so much decrease. Anything under 1600 usually puts me into a miserable human being. I've already been through the 800-1200 diet and having so many issues. I'm not willing to walk that road again. If it takes me two years to lose the weight, that's okay with me.

PS licking the spoon calories don't count, right?!? (j/k)
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    fobs13 wrote: »
    Can 2 spoons of mayo be 200 cals? Switch to a lighter option as condiments really are only for flavour. Just an idea.
    Nothing wrong with full fat. When eating a high fat diet, calories are irrelevant.
    I lost weight eating 2000 calories a day on high fat/protein, and doing nothing but walking an hour 5x a week. I lost around 3-4lbs a week.

Op have you considered low carb/keto? Your diary looks a lot like mine 8 months ago.
    I'd eat
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 bowl of oatmeal
    almond milk
    whole grain bread
    pasta/rice in the afternoon

Did not loose a pound, even with working out and eating less than 1000 calories.
    I went low carb and in a week i lost like 20lbs in a week. Went from 240lbs to 220. Then 220 to 190 in around a month. I did nothing, I was actually sick at the time. All I ate was bacon, cauliflower rice,chicken and nuts.

I came up with the theory, that you are loosing fat. No matter what calorie in vs out has to happen, you can't make energy out of nothing. All the carbs you are eating is making you retain water weight and is hiding your fat loss. I would honestly give low carb/keto a go.
    I didn't loose weight for an entire year/ even though i ate at a deficit for most part and worked out. I was loosing it just was just all the processed carbs, lack of sodium and exercising made me bloat water like a mother *kitten*.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Also it doesn't matter how tall you are, if you're over the age of 12 and dieting you should be consuming at least 1500 calories a day, bare minimum 1400.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not bad :)

I'd probably go a light mayo, diet coke. Not sure what those hamburger makers are like though but I'd probably swap that for something like grilled chicken breast with veggies/salad/baked sweet potato.

I disagree. Diet or "Lite" versions of things are terrible, and not good for you. They generally have less fat and more sugar (or fake sugar which is probably worse). The fat from the Mayo is actually really good for you and will help you stay satiated. If you can fit it in your calories, absolutely have the whole version of everything you can.
  • PikaKnight
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Okay, so go back to weighing everything out with your food scale (including liquids...as much as you can) and pick a method to go with (MFP or TDEE) so you can decide whether to eat back exercise calories or not.

You say you just try to stick under 2000 so it sounds maybe TDEE would be more beneficial to you. In that case, I'd say stick as close to 1700-1900 as possible and give it 6-8 weeks before making any changes (if any changes are needed at all).

It can take 4-6 weeks for your body to adjust to any changes in calorie intake or exercise routine/intensity so water retention due to muscle repair could also be why you haven't seen a drop yet.

I'm not sure what your exercise routine is, but I'd highly suggest a combo of cardio and strength training :)