Thoughts on my diary?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    skittle316 wrote: »
    fobs13 wrote: »
    Can 2 spoons of mayo be 200 cals? Switch to a lighter option as condiments really are only for flavour. Just an idea.
    Nothing wrong with full fat. When eating a high fat diet, calories are irrelevant.
    I lost weight eating 2000 calories a day on high fat/protein, and doing nothing but walking an hour 5x a week. I lost around 3-4lbs a week.

Op have you considered low carb/keto? Your diary looks a lot like mine 8 months ago.
    I'd eat
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 bowl of oatmeal
    almond milk
    whole grain bread
    pasta/rice in the afternoon

Did not loose a pound, even with working out and eating less than 1000 calories.
    I went low carb and in a week i lost like 20lbs in a week. Went from 240lbs to 220. Then 220 to 190 in around a month. I did nothing, I was actually sick at the time. All I ate was bacon, cauliflower rice,chicken and nuts.

I came up with the theory, that you are loosing fat. No matter what calorie in vs out has to happen, you can't make energy out of nothing. All the carbs you are eating is making you retain water weight and is hiding your fat loss. I would honestly give low carb/keto a go.
    I didn't loose weight for an entire year/ even though i ate at a deficit for most part and worked out. I was loosing it just was just all the processed carbs, lack of sodium and exercising made me bloat water like a mother *kitten*.

why does she need keto? A calorie deficit will do the same as keto …and why be miserable on minimal carbs….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - from your previous comments it sounds like you are on the right path i.e. know your TDEE, weighing food, etc. I would say just stick wit around 1700 a day and give it a few more weeks and see what happens.

what does your current exercise regimen consist of?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Can 2 spoons of mayo be 200 cals? Switch to a lighter option as condiments really are only for flavour. Just an idea.
    Nothing wrong with full fat. When eating a high fat diet, calories are irrelevant.

Absolutely incorrect. I don't care whether you are eating high fat, low carb, high protein, or just a balance all the way through on the macros....if you are eating at a calorie surplus, you are going to gain. Calorie amounts do matter.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    just a girl ,weight everything even your liquids and try good old steal cut oats and add fresh fruit the instant stuff is full of sugar. My favourite breakfast is 1/4 cup steal cut oats 1 serving of berries (as they are low in natural sugars) and 125 g of 1% cottage cheese and somedays i will add cinnamon and mix together its yummy. Do you eat good fats and Vegetables ? As i don't see a lot of it in your diary. What are you doing for exersice are you mixing up your workouts?
  • BansheeCat
    BansheeCat Posts: 140
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I lost weight eating 2000 calories a day on high fat/protein, and doing nothing but walking an hour 5x a week. I lost around 3-4lbs a week.

Op have you considered low carb/keto? Your diary looks a lot like mine 8 months ago.
    I'd eat
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 bowl of oatmeal
    almond milk
    whole grain bread

Did not loose a pound, even with working out and eating less than 1000 calories.
    I went low carb and in a week i lost like 20lbs in a week. Went from 240lbs to 220. Then 220 to 190 in around a month. I did nothing, I was actually sick at the time. All I ate was bacon, cauliflower rice,chicken and nuts.

I came up with the theory, that you are loosing fat. No matter what calorie in vs out has to happen, you can't make energy out of nothing. All the carbs you are eating is making you retain water weight and is hiding your fat loss. I would honestly give low carb/keto a go.
    I didn't loose weight for an entire year/ even though i ate at a deficit for most part and worked out. I was loosing it just was just all the processed carbs, lack of sodium and exercising made me bloat water like a mother *kitten*.

I agree with Skittles. The Keto/LCHF might be better suited for you. Come over to the dark side. >:)

• ndj1979
    Options
    BansheeCat wrote: »

I'd eat
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 bowl of oatmeal
    almond milk
    whole grain bread

I agree with Skittles. Keto/LCHF might be better suited for you. Come over to the dark side. >:)

why does she need keto????
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar position and most people said that it was just too soon to expect change. I had been on my program for a week and basicaly gained a pound and a half. I was really discouraged. I did two things, first I made the choice to only weigh once a month. That will keep me from constantly obsessing over it. The second was to get a good digital scale and I weigh everything. I am eating less and moving more. I'm finally losing my cravings or at least more able to control myself through them.

I'm weighing for the first time since starting on the 30th. I feel like I have lost, but I have no clue how much. I'm guessing it to be 3-5 pounds, but it could be more or it could be less. I'll take any loss I can get. I've gained and lost the same 30 pounds all my life, so if it take 2-3 yrs to get it off, so be it. This is a plan I can live with the rest of my life.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I just started back exercising, and am building up slowly. Three days per week for now, that may increase in the future, but this is all I can do now. I do machine weights for strength. I usually am at the gym when no one else is there and do not feel comfortable with most free weights, although i do some.

Cardio consists of 15-20 minutes on elliptical and then 30 minutes on treadmill @3.5 or 20 minutes on bike @ 13-14mph. I've been increasing time on each steadily, but I like to do a mix. No running due to my knee, and there is no stair climber. I also try to walk 1 mile with the dogs.

To be clear, if I chose MFP I eat exercise, if I chose TDEE I do not eat exercise? So at this point since my TDEE-750 is 1750, I shouldn't eat the exercise, right?
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    I am NOT doing keto or low carb. I will not give up my solitary coke either. I used to drink more than one a day, one is not going to kill me. This is not some quick fix, this is something that is going to be with me the rest of my life. Low carb is not sustainable to me.

Good idea weighing once a month. I do tend to obsess, so that may be something to concentrate on instead. I don't own a scale for this reason, I use the gym one. (I DO have a food scale, both a very nice digital and a basic cheap one).

In all my responses I never once said thank you for the replies. Please excuse my rudeness. Thank you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I just started back exercising, and am building up slowly. Three days per week for now, that may increase in the future, but this is all I can do now. I do machine weights for strength. I usually am at the gym when no one else is there and do not feel comfortable with most free weights, although i do some.

Cardio consists of 15-20 minutes on elliptical and then 30 minutes on treadmill @3.5 or 20 minutes on bike @ 13-14mph. I've been increasing time on each steadily, but I like to do a mix. No running due to my knee, and there is no stair climber. I also try to walk 1 mile with the dogs.

To be clear, if I chose MFP I eat exercise, if I chose TDEE I do not eat exercise? So at this point since my TDEE-750 is 1750, I shouldn't eat the exercise, right?

if you are doing TDEE then you do not eat the exercise calories back ….

if you do MFP then you want to net your goal weight is..example your goal is 1700 you burn 300 exercising so you then eat 2000 - 300 burned - 1700 net …

but like others said if you do MFP method the exercise burn numbers are usually way off so I would only eat half of what is burned back.

you should look into new rules of lifting for woman or strong lifts 5x5 both are great programs to get into heavy lifting …..
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think the big thing here is that you have to be a little patient. Took me more than a year to lose 50 lbs and I REALLY had to experiement until I found the right combo of diet and exercise to get losing. It's only been 2 weeks. Drink lots of water, for one. It gets your digestive system moving and also keeps you from retaining water.
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    I do have the New rules of lifiting book, and I had started some of it before I quit last go around. I was planning on getting back into it or strong lifts when I regained some endurance.

Yes, I probably do not drink enough water. I average 7 cups per day (plus 2 from tea and 1 from coke). I tend to forget to track that unfortunately.

Like I said, I just want to make sure I'm on the right path. I don't want to be intentionally starving myself, nor do I want to be grossly overeating. I expect some tweaks will need to be made in the future, and I'm hoping that they come pretty easy. Last time I pushed too hard too fast and it was not a joyful experience.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I do have the New rules of lifiting book, and I had started some of it before I quit last go around. I was planning on getting back into it or strong lifts when I regained some endurance.

Yes, I probably do not drink enough water. I average 7 cups per day (plus 2 from tea and 1 from coke). I tend to forget to track that unfortunately.

Like I said, I just want to make sure I'm on the right path. I don't want to be intentionally starving myself, nor do I want to be grossly overeating. I expect some tweaks will need to be made in the future, and I'm hoping that they come pretty easy. Last time I pushed too hard too fast and it was not a joyful experience.

slow and steady wins the race….!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I am NOT doing keto or low carb. I will not give up my solitary coke either. I used to drink more than one a day, one is not going to kill me. This is not some quick fix, this is something that is going to be with me the rest of my life. Low carb is not sustainable to me.

Good idea weighing once a month. I do tend to obsess, so that may be something to concentrate on instead. I don't own a scale for this reason, I use the gym one. (I DO have a food scale, both a very nice digital and a basic cheap one).

In all my responses I never once said thank you for the replies. Please excuse my rudeness. Thank you.
    YAY!!!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

slow and steady wins the race….!!

^QFT :D

• ndj1979
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

YAY!!!

good choice OP ….

learn to love all the foods and eat everything in moderation …j

carbs are not the devil...
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    No they are not the devil, and they are necessary to the body for energy.

I must admit I don't love all food, but I love most food. I do think of myself like the turtle in the race to better my health. Gives me perspective.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Looking at your diary, it looks good! Only thing I'd be concerned with is the amount of Sodium you're having and the amount of water you're drinking.

Pre-packaged Oatmeal, Pickles, Tuna, Mayo, Meatballs, Bread, Coke, Hamburger Helper and even that little bit of Chocolate all have sodium in them and it adds up quickly.
  • thatonegirl0619
    Options
    Instead of Hamburger Helpers I make my own skillets, that way I can pick and choose what to use, such as whole grain pasta or rice instead. I made a hamburger skillet last night with whole grain rice, diced tomatoes, and peas and it wasn't close to 300 calories. Then you can add more fresh fruits or veggies to get the calories up there.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Add sugar and carbs to track in your diary. I'd bet your sugar is pretty high.

You don't have to give up the Coke but on days that you have it you shoudl probably cut out the sugar elsewhere.

Also for the Mayo, there's an olive variety made by Kraft thats really good and its I believe 45 calories per T.

If you're following a tdee method then log your exercise but change the calories burned to 1 calorie. (that's how I do it anyway because I follow the tdee minus 15% cut method)