I'M getting fed up with all this weight loss crap because really i dont know whats going on.

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    taylorblade

Central obesity is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, especially if the fat is accumulating right up around your internal organs (a more dense, hardened feeling belly). Is your waist to hip ratio less than 0.9? (a good measure of central obesity).

I'm surprised the best advice you've gotten is eat at a calorie deficit and exercise more (or just get over it).

This is a cultural myth that food/beverage companies are doing their darnedest to maintain. Why? So you can eat anything you want (all their processed products) as long as you get the right number of calories. Also, ultimately, your weight gain is your fault, it is based on your personal will power.

This is totally false. Not all calories are created equal (carbs fuel weight gain, fats and proteins do not). And nutrients from real foods are much better utilized than from man-made "health" foods like shakes and bars. I have a hunch you are eating too many carbohydrates and not near enough fat. You probably eat a lot of lean protein. If you are serious about making a change, the first and best thing you can do is cut all processed foods from your diet. Anything with added sugar, vegetable oils like canola or soybean, and all grains (not nutritionally dense, just a filler food).

By doing this you will accomplish 2 things:
    1. nourish and satisfy your body with nutrients
    2. decrease total inflammation in your body which also helps to decrease leptin resistance

Once you are only eat real, whole, single ingredient food, which will naturally decrease your appetite... look at your macronutrients (fats, carbs, and proteins). Keep your carbs at or below 20% of you intake. Keep your fats at least 40%. The remainder protein. Your body will naturally shed weight. Most likely this breakdown of macros will happen naturally by eating whole foods.

There is A LOT to learn. I know I probably said some new terms. And here is a great resource from my favorite nutrition blog:

http://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diet-meal-plan-and-menu/

This blog has evidence-based articles on topics from leptin resistance to processed foods to healthy fat. Good luck!
    Nonsense.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/

• mamamodge
    Options
    Try pilates to work core abdominal muscle you might think ..no way I work with weights ,but pilates work small muscles that get neglected doing weights.
    Do you do cardio workouts ?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    taylorblade

Central obesity is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, especially if the fat is accumulating right up around your internal organs (a more dense, hardened feeling belly). Is your waist to hip ratio less than 0.9? (a good measure of central obesity).

I'm surprised the best advice you've gotten is eat at a calorie deficit and exercise more (or just get over it).

This is a cultural myth that food/beverage companies are doing their darnedest to maintain. Why? So you can eat anything you want (all their processed products) as long as you get the right number of calories. Also, ultimately, your weight gain is your fault, it is based on your personal will power.

This is totally false. Not all calories are created equal (carbs fuel weight gain, fats and proteins do not). And nutrients from real foods are much better utilized than from man-made "health" foods like shakes and bars. I have a hunch you are eating too many carbohydrates and not near enough fat. You probably eat a lot of lean protein. If you are serious about making a change, the first and best thing you can do is cut all processed foods from your diet. Anything with added sugar, vegetable oils like canola or soybean, and all grains (not nutritionally dense, just a filler food).

2. decrease total inflammation in your body which also helps to decrease leptin resistance

Once you are only eat real, whole, single ingredient food, which will naturally decrease your appetite... look at your macronutrients (fats, carbs, and proteins). Keep your carbs at or below 20% of you intake. Keep your fats at least 40%. The remainder protein. Your body will naturally shed weight. Most likely this breakdown of macros will happen naturally by eating whole foods.

There is A LOT to learn. I know I probably said some new terms. And here is a great resource from my favorite nutrition blog:

This blog has evidence-based articles on topics from leptin resistance to processed foods to healthy fat. Good luck!
    Nonsense.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/

Hmmmmm, I'm the one spouting "nonsense" from extensively researched and evidence-based articles (you know, using the scientific method, peer-review, meta-analysis, ever heard of any of it?), while you link to me a bodybuilding website without a single referenced source? So what exactly are they basing their claims on?

Now, I'm enough of a critical thinker not to call whatever "Lyle McDonald" says nonsense without doing my own research. I'll probably read and understand the similarities and differences much better than an immature thinker who so articulately and dispassionately states a one word response (being facetious). Good luck to you, oh destroyer of thoughtful, considerate discourse!
    You linked your research from a blog. Lyle wrote the book on ketogenic diets. Even he would have major issues with your "carbs fuel weight gain" statement. I get 50-60% carbs how come I don't gain weight? Oh thats right calories in/calories out. Just to add low carb forums are full of people who are not losing weight and even gaining weight because they believe and are told that calories don't matter.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    taylorblade

Nonsense.

Hmmmmm, I'm the one spouting "nonsense" from extensively researched and evidence-based articles (you know, using the scientific method, peer-review, meta-analysis, ever heard of any of it?), while you link to me a bodybuilding website without a single referenced source? So what exactly are they basing their claims on?

Now, I'm enough of a critical thinker not to call whatever "Lyle McDonald" says nonsense without doing my own research. I'll probably read and understand the similarities and differences much better than an immature thinker who so articulately and dispassionately states a one word response (being facetious). Good luck to you, oh destroyer of thoughtful, considerate discourse!
    You linked your research from a blog. Lyle wrote the book on ketogenic diets. Even he would have major issues with your "carbs fuel weight gain" statement. I get 50-60% carbs how come I don't gain weight? Oh thats right calories in/calories out. Just to add low carb forums are full of people who are not losing weight and even gaining weight because they believe and are told that calories don't matter.

For starters, let me say, I think the ketogenic diet is great... as long as it's real food and not processed. Truly, diets have varied greatly over the millennium of human existence, but our current obesity epidemic started with the advent of processed foods... of course, looking back over history there have been pockets of obese population sectors who were usually poverty stricken and eating a high carbohydrate, nutritionally devoid diet.

You may be active enough to tolerate heavier amounts of carbs. But overall, lowering carbs decreases the body's output of insulin which decreases fat storage and blockade of leptin. Yes, I linked a blog, but he is evidence based, citing real studies... and not fringe studies. He keeps up with mainstream RCTs and meta-analyses from serious journals like JAMA and AJCN.

How about you check it out for yourself? Do some reading on it? THEN make a weighted, judicious response.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    brosecince.jpg
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    LTGPSA wrote: »
    So, since 225, have you lost inches at all in your belly? I'm guessing yes. Toning takes time and will take maintenance. If you think it's all crap, then you always have the option to quit. Minor tweaks to what you're presently doing can make differences. Do different stuff (exercise, water intake, more veggies, etc.), shake things up. Good luck turning your attitude into a more positive one and perhaps celebrating your successes.
    Yes sir I mean... I did lose some because my belly use to sag more.
  • taylorblade
    Options
    Ok ok... I understand that im at a healthy weight for my age but the thing about it is... I dont wont to lose no more weight just fat... I want to get lean but everything that i do my body just keeps rejecting me.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Ok ok... I understand that im at a healthy weight for my age but the thing about it is... I dont wont to lose no more weight just fat... I want to get lean but everything that i do my body just keeps rejecting me.

Then you need to eat at maintenance or a slight deficit (no more than 0.5 lb per week), lifting heavy things, and eat lots of protein. That will allow you to keep your lean muscle mass and lose fat.
  • Crisseyda
    edited October 2014
    Options

Here's a great article, plain and simple:

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-lose-weight-as-fast-as-possible/

Give it a try!

- The only caveat I would give is that counting calories does help. At least that's my experience. Especially if you struggle with eating for comfort.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    taylorblade

There's very little - if any - reason why an otherwise healthy person NEEDS to switch to low-carb for health, and there's even less reason why 'single ingredient foods' need any particular emphasis in a diet that is otherwise nutritionally adequate and geared toward obtaining or maintaining a healthy weight. The above quote is essentially opinion and advertising. If it works for you, great, but it's not necessary in the majority of cases.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

Give it a try!

Kris Gunnars is the author of the article and the owner of the site.

http://authoritynutrition.com/about/

That's your source of authority ? A medical student and blogger.

It's time to step away from the internets. Give it a rest.
  • kgeyser
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

Give it a try!

Agree. Authority nutrition is a joke. Half of the links in his articles link to other articles he has written, and his "evidence-based approach" means that he just links to journal articles that have results that seem to support what he's saying, even when the context of the study is completely different. He cherry picks the parts that say what he wants and ignores the parts that discount it.

Here's an example from this article, where he claims that you need to eliminate starches and sugars for fast weight loss: "The low-carb group is eating until fullness, while the low-fat group is calorie restricted and hungry."

Follow the link to the article, and you find out that not only were both the low-carb and low-fat groups eating at a calorie deficit of 450 calories compared to baseline, but the macros for the low fat group were 55% carb, 30% fat, 15% protein. No kidding that people reported being hungry, they were barely getting any protein.

OP, ignore any information from that blog, it's bunk.
  • taylorblade
    Options
    I knew it authority nutrition is inaccurate
    Because everytime I look at that site for tips they always switch it up. But anyway tell me about my pics i just posted so i can get a good idea what i must do? What does my bf % look like because im not leaned yet and another thing i want to ask how do i get small lean thighs? Because i wouldnt look right if you have a lean stomach but big thighs.
  • Crisseyda
    edited October 2014
    Options

Give it a try!

Wow, since when it cutting back on carbs and eating unprocessed food bunk?

As a nurse who works with lots of diabetic patients (and I'm sure will continue to, as 1/3 of Americans are expected to be diabetic by 2050... eating up the entire medicare budget!), I've actually been doing a lot of my own research on cardiovascular disease. Starting with a recent article in the Times, which explains how butter is back and dietary saturated fats are NOT shown to contribute to heart disease.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/opinion/bittman-butter-is-back.html?_r=0

I've been reading all kinds of research... and I just recently found Kris Gunnars, who seems to be right on point. I don't find him cherry-picking in the least. I guess people just hear what they want to hear. Good luck to you in your journey!

As many as 1 in 3 U.S. adults could have diabetes by 2050 if current trends continue, according to a new analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2010/r101022.html
  • taylorblade
    Options
    You know what just to think about it... I might need a diet break the reason why is because I been eating clean and cutting for 8 to 10 months straight so far also I workout constantly... I read about cortisol stalling fat loss maybe my body is just stressed because im over doing it so it just holding on to fat as long as it can. But the thing about it is what is the fastest way for me to decrease cortisol without dropping my metabolic rate and without gaining weight and losing my work out progress because i have done pretty good so far and i am really loving my self and confident so far! :smile:. I enjoy being able to eat 3000 calories without gaining weight. Before i couldnt eat that much because my metabolic rate was so low. So how do i prevent that while taking a diet break and easeing of the workouts for a little? Because i dont wont to go back to my sedentary life style and i want to keep my metabolism high like it is now. Also i do mixed martial arts to.
  • kgeyser
    Options

Give it a try!

Wow, since when it cutting back on carbs and eating unprocessed food bunk?

As a nurse who works with lots of diabetic patients (and I'm sure will continue to, as 1/3 of Americans are expected to be diabetic by 2050... eating up the entire medicare budget!), I've actually been doing a lot of my own research on cardiovascular disease. Starting with a recent article in the Times, which explains how butter is back and dietary saturated fats are NOT shown to contribute to heart disease.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/opinion/bittman-butter-is-back.html?_r=0

I've been reading all kinds of research... and I just recently found Kris Gunnars, who seems to be right on point. I don't find him cherry-picking in the least. I guess people just hear what they want to hear. Good luck to you in your journey!

As many as 1 in 3 U.S. adults could have diabetes by 2050 if current trends continue, according to a new analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2010/r101022.html

If you actually follow the links to the research he cites, the actual research has very little to do with what he is talking about in his articles. I pointed out one such discrepancy in which the claim he made was directly refuted in the article he linked to. But I do agree with you, people do seem to hear only what they want to hear.
  • kgeyser
    Options
    You know what just to think about it... I might need a diet break the reason why is because I been eating clean and cutting for 8 to 10 months straight so far also I workout constantly... I read about cortisol stalling fat loss maybe my body is just stressed because im over doing it so it just holding on to fat as long as it can. But the thing about it is what is the fastest way for me to decrease cortisol without dropping my metabolic rate and without gaining weight and losing my work out progress because i have done pretty good so far and i am really loving my self and confident so far! :smile:. I enjoy being able to eat 3000 calories without gaining weight. Before i couldnt eat that much because my metabolic rate was so low. So how do i prevent that while taking a diet break and easeing of the workouts for a little? Because i dont wont to go back to my sedentary life style and i want to keep my metabolism high like it is now. Also i do mixed martial arts to.

OP, you're all over the place here. If you want to take a diet break, take a diet break for no more than 2 weeks, then get back to it. Calculate your TDEE, eat at maintenance or a slight deficit, lift heavy things, and get lots of protein. This will allow your body to retain your existing muscle while losing fat, which seems to be your goal. Stop worrying about cortisol and metabolic rate. If you aren't losing, you're not in a deficit. Don't complicate it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    taylorblade

Nonsense.

For starters, let me say, I think the ketogenic diet is great... as long as it's real food and not processed. Truly, diets have varied greatly over the millennium of human existence, but our current obesity epidemic started with the advent of processed foods... of course, looking back over history there have been pockets of obese population sectors who were usually poverty stricken and eating a high carbohydrate, nutritionally devoid diet.

You may be active enough to tolerate heavier amounts of carbs. But overall, lowering carbs decreases the body's output of insulin which decreases fat storage and blockade of leptin. Yes, I linked a blog, but he is evidence based, citing real studies... and not fringe studies. He keeps up with mainstream RCTs and meta-analyses from serious journals like JAMA and AJCN.

How about you check it out for yourself? Do some reading on it? THEN make a weighted, judicious response.

What? The obesity epidemic started when food became abundant and people's movement in and out of work decreased. And before that, the ones who were obese were never the poor, always the rich, because they had food in abundance and didn't have to physically work as opposed to the poor. Look at paintings of kings and other rich people from a few hundred years back.
    Obesity = Eating too much + moving too little.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    Too many words, not enough punctuation.

Ditto. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ever hear of various ways of learning and writing, judgies?

Yes, there is right and there is wrong. Just sayin' . . .
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I found that as I ate closer to my planned deficit I lost more than when I decided to "kill it" and go way under. When ever I hit a point where I stopped losing I would usually add more cardio to the mix. Forget the adding bulk until you get close to your proper weight.