Okay to use the words "thin" and "skinny", but not "fat"

Options
My entire life I've lost and put on weight.
What bothers me is that every single time I've put on weight, nobody says a single word. So the routine has been that once every other year or so when I've lost weight, everyone comes with a big smile and says how good I look and that I've lost weight.

Now, when I'm as thin as I've ever been, people say that I look so healthy and compliments me on doing so well at losing weight. It's hurtful as I didn't even intend on losing this much and struggle to find a balance.

The thing is, people always seem to think that when you look thin, you are healthy.
They say "you've become so thin", but why is that concidered a compliment?
I always think to myself that it's wrong to say those things, and feel like responding with a comment that "well, you didn't say "you've become so fat" seven months ago".

I know people, including myself, that struggle with putting on weight and struggle with food intake no matter what size they are.
The comments including "skinny" and "thin" are approved everywhere, but don't you dare say anything including the words "put on weight" or "fat".

I'm not healthier now that I've lost weight, I struggle every day with low energy and thoughts about food and myself.

Does anyone else feel the same about this? And what can I respond with to those comments without being rude? I prefer people not commenting on my weight no matter what, and I never comment on other people's weight unless they bring up the issue themselves.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It's because most people in our culture are too fat and want to be thinner/lighter, so always see weight loss as a good thing and weight gain as a bad thing. (how much extra fat someone has may vary, but even people who don't look that fat or who aren't fat according to BMI or body fat percentage often want to lose a bit more fat to reach their ideal) ......Common courtesy tells most people that it's not polite to comment on bad things in other people, but it's nice to compliment them on good things. So they compliment people on losing weight and never mention it if someone's gained weight. I think most people don't think about this issue all that much, so only view it on this very superficial level, and don't question giving compliments to people on losing weight, or realise that some people might be underweight and trying to gain weight.

Yep people probably should be a bit more aware, but do bear in mind that most people don't give weight loss/gain more than a second's thought, so it's not like they're deliberately trying to annoy or upset you... mostly they have no idea at all. Probably the best thing for people you know reasonably well is to rehearse a very simple response, e.g. if they say "that's great you've lost weight" say something simple like "well it's not great, because I'm underweight and trying to gain weight" and leave it at that... it's enough to let them know what's going on and will probably stop them making the same comment again in the future.... for people you don't know, then just ignore them, or smile and say thank you (it was intended as a compliment) and don't feel obliged to explain anything to them
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I personally think the words skinny and thin sound like your unwell. I prefer 'Slim' If someone told me I was skinny I would think I was too underweight and need to eat more.

The best compliment I had was when I was 12/13 stone and a man said I was 'velumpious' it actually made me feel happy that I was the weight I was. Another one was Ruben-esq, which for those who aren't into art, they are beautiful paintings of women of the larger size. This however was a man in his later years (I worked behind a bar) so he was part of the dying breed which is 'The Gentleman'
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if someone called you fat, you would be on here complaining that your family called you fat...
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm in the USA and "you've become so thin" would strike me as an expression of concern, not a compliment.

Best wishes with your struggle. I have a formerly-heavy friend in my local weight-loss support group who is also trying to find a balance and is currently trying to gain. I know that it's real and it's concerning.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think the real issue is disconnecting from what anyone says about your weight and body. It's just not worth the stress to get riled up, to think of a comeback, to feel indignant that someone doesn't realize "skinny" isn't a compliment. This is just my opinion, of course, but so many people on here (understandably) get upset about people's comments, but people will say what they will say. Maybe a rare person would change if you say something, but I find that if I work on not caring what people say, I feel more at peace.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It's only on places like this that "thin" or "skinny" sound bad. To the rest of the world… neither thin nor skinny has the negative connotation that "fat" does. They are trying to give you a compliment. When you were heavier… they were trying to be polite. If you really feel like you are too thin to be healthy… you may try just graciously thanking them for the compliment, but explain that your goal is to be healthy and you feel like you aren't there yet.
  • jannickegn574
    jannickegn574 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    if someone called you fat, you would be on here complaining that your family called you fat...

Of course. But the issue I'm trying to bring up here is that nobody says "fat" because they know it's rude and not acceptable, but then they use the words "thin" and "skinny" without blinking an eye.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Of course. But the issue I'm trying to bring up here is that nobody says "fat" because they know it's rude and not acceptable, but then they use the words "thin" and "skinny" without blinking an eye.

It's something called life which is unfair at times.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My advice - when someone compliments you, even in a clumsy, awkward, or politically incorrect manner, accept it graciously and allow yourself a moment to feel good about yourself. Too many interactions in life involve indifference, callousness or rudeness, so appreciate the good intentions without over-thinking it...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i dont find 'thin' rude... i wouldnt want to be called skinny, as i'm not trying to be 'skinny' but thats personal preference.

as the saying goes 'you are not fat, you have fat' its the public perception of 'fat' being a negative word not just a descriptive one thats the problem.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This didn't fit the post as much as I'd meant it to. Deleting. <3
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was rude to comment on someone's weight at all. I get uncomfortable when people make comments about my weight or ask how much I lost. I am proud of my progress, but I don't need to boast about it or anything. On the other hand, I had a neighbor who blatantly told me several times before I decided to lose the weight that I was getting chubby and that they were worried about me. That made me much more uncomfortable.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    From losing the weight I've lost, I feel like people have told me I look amazing. They haven't necessarily used thin because well, let's face it, I have a long way to go still to be considered "thin". BUT what I'm getting at is that when I lost weight I started to look better because I dressed better, felt more confident and that projects almost like radiance about yourself: you just feel amazing (or at least I did) and that's that what people noticed.

When you're in a period of gaining, which I've gone through too to get to where I am, you aren't as confident, you might be stressed or upset or tired because you have so many things going on. All of these things gets rid of that confidence you project when you feel good.

I know "fat" is considered taboo and you're not supposed to mention when people are gaining weight because it's offensive, however I try not to say people look thin or skinny because in reality, I notice their whole attitude has changed because they feel good about themselves and I think that's probably why people notice you've lost weight. Maybe you don't feel so great right now because you're struggling with a balance but I try to think they have the best intentions :smiley:
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    We're much too thin skinned as a culture. When I speak of such issues, being politically correct is just not happening.
    I use the word "fat" as well as "skinny". In fact, an associate was talking smack about obesity, and I pointed out to him that he was no better as a smoker who is rail "skinny-fat".
    Our reasons to view truth as being unkind is part of the problem with our society.
    People need to buck up!

• Mommaspoon1
    Mommaspoon1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    To call someone fat is seen as rude but to call someone skinny is somehow a compliment. As a person who has been both fat and skinny i sometimes wish that those close to me could be a bit more honest and tell me when I'm starting to slip. It's not healthy to be fat and you'd have to go a long way to convince me that fat people really are as happy as they claim they are - I for one was never happy when I was fat. I'm all for honesty but in a nice way - there's no need for nastiness or causing unnecessary hurt.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I don't see "thin" and "skinny" as being in the same light. I feel like skinny has a negative connotation and thin has positive a one.

Meaning, I would love it if someone called me thin. Seriously.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I tend not to comment on people's weight either. It's not my business, and I don't want to contribute to "fat talk." But the truth is that our society values thinness and people think they are paying you a compliment. It's hard because body issues are so wrapped up in what others think and what we think that they think. I think you are on the right track in acknowledging very clearly to yourself that your current weight is too low and noticing the effect others' words have on you. The more you are aware the better able you will be to let go of their words and stick to your truth. Best of luck in getting back to your healthy and happy weight range :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've always been more or less thin my whole life, and have never considered it to be an insult or negative in any way. Now if someone were to use the terms scrawny or skeletal or wasting away that sounds pretty obnoxious, but I'd shrug it off as their issue, not mine. But then again, I generally don't care what people think anyway. As long as I think I'm awesome, I am. (*)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but "skinny" and "thin" do not have the negative connotation in our society that "fat" does.

Body shaming sucks no matter who it is happening to and nobody should be comfortable with it -- but our society, as a whole, sets thinness up as a goal women in particular should strive for. "Oh you look so thin!" can legitimately seen as a compliment - it can also be seen as an expression of concern - but that might phrased "You are looking too thin". "Oh you look so fat" will never be anything other than an insult.

In general, I don't think it's ever appropriate to comment on another's weight/fatness or thinness unless you are very close to a person and very careful about what you are saying and have nothing but the most genuine of concern tempered with a good measure of knowing another person's body isn't actually your business. But setting it up like thin/skinny have just as negative as a connotation as fat is well... in my opinion misguided. You can not like to be called skinny or thin -- that's totally understandable. But it has nothing to do with "fat" not being seen as appropriate to call another person.