Not losing weight on low carb?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nomad1000 wrote: »
    steve098 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that you guys dismissing the approach are all fitness folks and not people who really want to lose weight.

It is a sad fact that some people wear their obesity badge proudly on their chest and are afraid to get their hands dirty and actually lose weight. They like their victimhood status.

I am still trying to figure out why you think that losing weight has to be a challenge? Why you have to go to some extreme to get results? Why do you have to get your hands dirty? Is that because when you have dirty hands you don't want to eat what you have touched?

I have lost over 40 lbs this year with slow and steady loss, just like I planned. Weighing, measuring and logging what I eat. Exercising regularly. Not cutting out anything since I like a variety of foods and know that cutting out whole food groups isn't sustainable for me. I have been making sure the calories I take in are less than the calories I expend. Once I figured out what works for me, it isn't hard. I don't need to make it harder or more extreme than that.

So explain to me why would I challenge myself to your purported way of losing weight when what I am doing is working for me? Why should anyone who has found something that is working for them? Since the bottom line in weight loss is finding what works for you and sticking with that.

this has nothing to do with the OP ...but I think that people are embarrassed/ashamed/ whatever that they got obese in the first place, so they want to convince themselves that losing weight is "hard" and that certain "bad" foods made them obese; so they then come up with these complex dieting schemes to lose weight, because they do not want to admit that gaining and losing weight is rather easy ....rather than taking a really hard look at themselves and admitting that they gained weight because they over ate, and realizing that if they just moderated their diet and moved more that they would lose more ...

that is just my opinion and is based on nothing...

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Kmhornak wrote: »
    Kick-start your metabolism? I'd see a new nutritionist. Your metabolism should always be functioning...unless you're dead. In fact, eating in a calorie surplus for extended periods actually help metabolism, so unless you have a medical condition, you should be in a prime position FOR weight loss without doing anything special to your diet, outside of a calorie deficit.

The purpose of a low carb diet is so that your body stops feeling hungry and burns the fat in your body. The lack of carbs help my blood sugars so that I am not feeling hungry all the time. High carbs diets lead to insulin spikes. It is working on that level. I don't have hunger cravings and I am not tired 24-7. I actually have energy. I have a call with my nutritionist today and will begin the next phase of this plan.

more LOLZ ..yes, please see a new nutritionist if they are feeding you this...

pretty much every food that you eat is going to cause an insulin spike..

and you can burn fat by just having a negative energy balance, i.e. eat in a 500 per day calorie deficit...

I hope you are not paying this "nutritionist"

The idea behind the low-carb diet is that decreasing carbs lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy and ultimately leads to weight loss.

and barring a medical condition you can do the same thing with a low calorie diet and eat carbs...

Low Carb does not = fat burning ...
    negative energy balance = fat burning...
    Low Carb does not burn fat, all you have accomplished is that you replace more calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods and create a calorie deficit...

You guys underestimate the power of the keto diet. One of the BIG FAT HUGE benefits is that you eat very infrequently. Very often (like today), I will go about 18 hours without having much in between. Fat satiates hunger, and I normally have one huge meal a day with a supporting cast of a few hundred calories in the meantime. This satiation curbs the need to feed, and to over-feed, which is a very common problem for people that have 3-5 meals a day.

Other than that:
    OP, how is your water intake? In ketosis, you need to be drinking more than the average person. I am 208, and I drink no less than about 90 oz per day. That is about 12 cups

so you are saying you are more satiated, hence you eat less, hence you are in a calorie deficit, hence you are burning fat ….? Great ..I can do the same thing eating carbs and being in a calorie deficit ….I don't need some magical low carb solution ...

yawn-ec29f736861301f7bd2e88f82e365fa4.gif

What is this you say? Low-carb diets create a calorie deficit? I had never heard that before! Where did you stumble upon this groundbreaking knowledge?

Wait...what? We been over this before? And over and over it? That's right. I remember now.

Now that we are all reminded, again, of this obvious fact, anyone have anything that will contribute to the conversation?

I sure the heck wish low-carb were magic, so I could eat as many calories as I wanted, magically pop down under my goal weight with a snap, maintain with no effort, and wear an awesome wizard hat! But, alas!, we're in Reality Land, where CICO governs all ways of eating. And where everyone is different and is free to use whatever crutch, plan, or method they need to get there. Unfortunately, in Reality Land you aren't free to use whichever legitimate plan you use without ridicule from people who use a different plan than you and have an ax to grind.

• baconslave
    Options
    I sincerely hope that you guys dismissing the approach are all fitness folks and not people who really want to lose weight.

It is a sad fact that some people wear their obesity badge proudly on their chest and are afraid to get their hands dirty and actually lose weight. They like their victimhood status.

I am still trying to figure out why you think that losing weight has to be a challenge? Why you have to go to some extreme to get results? Why do you have to get your hands dirty? Is that because when you have dirty hands you don't want to eat what you have touched?

I have lost over 40 lbs this year with slow and steady loss, just like I planned. Weighing, measuring and logging what I eat. Exercising regularly. Not cutting out anything since I like a variety of foods and know that cutting out whole food groups isn't sustainable for me. I have been making sure the calories I take in are less than the calories I expend. Once I figured out what works for me, it isn't hard. I don't need to make it harder or more extreme than that.

So explain to me why would I challenge myself to your purported way of losing weight when what I am doing is working for me? Why should anyone who has found something that is working for them? Since the bottom line in weight loss is finding what works for you and sticking with that.

this has nothing to do with the OP ...but I think that people are embarrassed/ashamed/ whatever that they got obese in the first place, so they want to convince themselves that losing weight is "hard" and that certain "bad" foods made them obese; so they then come up with these complex dieting schemes to lose weight, because they do not want to admit that gaining and losing weight is rather easy ....rather than taking a really hard look at themselves and admitting that they gained weight because they over ate, and realizing that if they just moderated their diet and moved more that they would lose more ...

Well, then I suppose you are slumming being here with us unfortunate slobs. Perhaps you should ascend to Olympus to be with your kind, so you musn't suffer our presence any longer. Clearly we are unworthy.

One thing though, oh mighty one of perfection, why is someone on a diet? Because they admit they gained weight because they overate and realize they need to moderate their diet and move on. That's what low-carb is. Moderation and not overeating by a different method than yours. Not as perfect as yours, milord. But it gets us there.

Now ascend, oh godling, to the place beyond reproach where you belong.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Because in the afternoon and early evening, you can eat whatever you want, and in any amount.

Yeah, you can but if you eat more calories than you burn, you'll still gain weight.

Try it for a couple weeks - a 14 hour water-fast followed by a 8 hour eat anything period in the afternoon and early evening.

This is a challenge.

Be honest and report back to us.

I have a legitimate challenge for you. For one month eat 6 meals a day. During the second month, eat in your 8 hour window. During both months hold calories and macros the same and talk results and show your food diary. And then follow up those results and compare it against the theories in your Gludens spicy mustard book. Because then, we can compare these type of results against the below to see if they jive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/873411-myth-eat-frequently-to-stoke-the-metabolic-fire
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Why the assumption that every structured way of losing weight is "hard" and miserable though? I'm not saying that some people don't punish themselves when losing weight for exactly those reasons, because some people definitely do, but that doesn't mean that everyone who follows a structured system is doing that.

Take the OP who has said this plan works for her and she loves how she feels - I see that as someone who's following a plan that works well for them as an individual, at least for right now. And I'd consider people to be giving bad advice if they say "no, you have to change your plan up completely" to that person, simply because the person giving the bad advice has different preferences. Now compare that to someone telling nomad1000 that she needs to change what's working for her - it's awful advice.

I think there's a knee-jerk reaction when someone says they like the satiating effects of a low carb diet, as if they're saying it's somehow "special." But I don't think that's the case - they're just saying it helps them not feel hungry. For instance:
    Great ..I can do the same thing eating carbs and being in a calorie deficit ….I don't need some magical low carb solution ...

That's not particularly helpful advice for anyone other than yourself, and it's especially not helpful to someone who is already seeing success on their current plan. Again, if it's working for them, they should stick with it until it no longer helps them. It doesn't matter if it wouldn't work for you - what matters is whether it's working for them.
  • baconslave
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »

Why the assumption that every structured way of losing weight is "hard" and miserable though? I'm not saying that some people don't punish themselves when losing weight for exactly those reasons, because some people definitely do, but that doesn't mean that everyone who follows a structured system is doing that.

Take the OP who has said this plan works for her and she loves how she feels - I see that as someone who's following a plan that works well for them as an individual, at least for right now. And I'd consider people to be giving bad advice if they say "no, you have to change your plan up completely" to that person, simply because the person giving the bad advice has different preferences. Now compare that to someone telling nomad1000 that she needs to change what's working for her - it's awful advice.

I think there's a knee-jerk reaction when someone says they like the satiating effects of a low carb diet, as if they're saying it's somehow "special." But I don't think that's the case - they're just saying it helps them not feel hungry. For instance:
    Great ..I can do the same thing eating carbs and being in a calorie deficit ….I don't need some magical low carb solution ...

That's not particularly helpful advice for anyone other than yourself, and it's especially not helpful to someone who is already seeing success on their current plan. Again, if it's working for them, they should stick with it until it no longer helps them. It doesn't matter if it wouldn't work for you - what matters is whether it's working for them.

Precisely.

I eat less than 30g carbs daily. It's working for me. I have lost 56lbs and am still losing. I feel great, have lots of energy, and am super happy. It isn't, in fact, at all hard. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for me to mess with what works. It's not broke, leave it alone. If it breaks, then fix it. Easy peasy.

Maintenance is the true test anyway. But again, you have to do what works, for you. Not what works for someone else.

• ndj1979
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Well, then I suppose you are slumming being here with us unfortunate slobs. Perhaps you should ascend to Olympus to be with your kind, so you musn't suffer our presence any longer. Clearly we are unworthy.

One thing though, oh mighty one of perfection, why is someone on a diet? Because they admit they gained weight because they overate and realize they need to moderate their diet and move on. That's what low-carb is. Moderation and not overeating by a different method than yours. Not as perfect as yours, milord. But it gets us there.

as I stated it was just an opinion that people want to view weight loss as hard, when it really is not ..

I fell victim to same BS for years too ...eat six small meals to "stoke" metabolism, sugar is bad, carbs after 6pm are bad, etc ,etc...

I specifically said it had nothing to do with the OP or low carb diets in general..

but you are free to try to get on my level anytime you want...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Kick-start your metabolism? I'd see a new nutritionist. Your metabolism should always be functioning...unless you're dead. In fact, eating in a calorie surplus for extended periods actually help metabolism, so unless you have a medical condition, you should be in a prime position FOR weight loss without doing anything special to your diet, outside of a calorie deficit.

The purpose of a low carb diet is so that your body stops feeling hungry and burns the fat in your body. The lack of carbs help my blood sugars so that I am not feeling hungry all the time. High carbs diets lead to insulin spikes. It is working on that level. I don't have hunger cravings and I am not tired 24-7. I actually have energy. I have a call with my nutritionist today and will begin the next phase of this plan.

and you can burn fat by just having a negative energy balance, i.e. eat in a 500 per day calorie deficit...

The idea behind the low-carb diet is that decreasing carbs lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy and ultimately leads to weight loss.

and barring a medical condition you can do the same thing with a low calorie diet and eat carbs...

Low Carb does not burn fat, all you have accomplished is that you replace more calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods and create a calorie deficit...

You guys underestimate the power of the keto diet. One of the BIG FAT HUGE benefits is that you eat very infrequently. Very often (like today), I will go about 18 hours without having much in between. Fat satiates hunger, and I normally have one huge meal a day with a supporting cast of a few hundred calories in the meantime. This satiation curbs the need to feed, and to over-feed, which is a very common problem for people that have 3-5 meals a day.

Other than that:
    OP, how is your water intake? In ketosis, you need to be drinking more than the average person. I am 208, and I drink no less than about 90 oz per day. That is about 12 cups

so you are saying you are more satiated, hence you eat less, hence you are in a calorie deficit, hence you are burning fat ….? Great ..I can do the same thing eating carbs and being in a calorie deficit ….I don't need some magical low carb solution ...

What is this you say? Low-carb diets create a calorie deficit? I had never heard that before! Where did you stumble upon this groundbreaking knowledge?

Wait...what? We been over this before? And over and over it? That's right. I remember now.

Now that we are all reminded, again, of this obvious fact, anyone have anything that will contribute to the conversation?

I sure the heck wish low-carb were magic, so I could eat as many calories as I wanted, magically pop down under my goal weight with a snap, maintain with no effort, and wear an awesome wizard hat! But, alas!, we're in Reality Land, where CICO governs all ways of eating. And where everyone is different and is free to use whatever crutch, plan, or method they need to get there. Unfortunately, in Reality Land you aren't free to use whichever legitimate plan you use without ridicule from people who use a different plan than you and have an ax to grind.

ummm yea, and you totally took that out of context, as I was replying to a poster who was making the claim that Keto was superior to calorie deficit..., which, it sounds like you agree with....or am I wrong?

• ndj1979
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »

I was replying to the person who wanted to know why everyone thinks that dieting has to be hard ...

as I stated it was just an opinion ...perhaps I should have said "some" people see it that way ..
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    No matter what diet you choose, it will always come down to calories in vs out. So yes, if after several weeks you are not losing weight I would buy a digital food scale and weigh anything solid and make sure you're logging every single thing 100% of the time.

This
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I was replying to the person who wanted to know why everyone thinks that dieting has to be hard ...

as I stated it was just an opinion ...perhaps I should have said "some" people see it that way ..

Understood, and I agree that people should do what's easiest for them. But my point was why do some people seem to think every structured program is necessarily hard for everyone? What I don't understand though is why, when someone says "this is working for me," other people feel compelled to say "oh, you shouldn't do that, because that wouldn't work for me."

And to some extent, I wouldn't trivialize weight loss to that point of saying it's easy. Once you've developed good habits, then sure, it's just a matter of following your regular routine for the most part. But many people have already developed bad habits, especially when they're first starting out, and I don't think it's fair or accurate to say it's not hard for those people to drop their bad habits and develop good ones.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

as I stated it was just an opinion that people want to view weight loss as hard, when it really is not ..

I fell victim to same BS for years too ...eat six small meals to "stoke" metabolism, sugar is bad, carbs after 6pm are bad, etc ,etc...

I specifically said it had nothing to do with the OP or low carb diets in general..

I don't 100% disagree; but as someone who wasn't losing weight while eating at a deficit because of increased insulin levels (those levels were not caused by overeating or by eating high gi foods) causing my body to store most calories and fat consumed..I can honestly say that it's not as easy as you are stating for everyone. Again, I agree with calorie in calorie out. You just can't lose weight when your insulin levels are always too high and sometimes it is very difficult to find what works.
  • baconslave
    Options

Other than that:

ummm yea, and you totally took that out of context, as I was replying to a poster who was making the claim that Keto was superior to calorie deficit..., which, it sounds like you agree with....or am I wrong?

But, alas!, we're in Reality Land, where CICO governs all ways of eating. And where everyone is different and is free to use whatever crutch, plan, or method they need to get there.

How do you get that I think keto is superior to plain calorie deficit from that? It's superior for me. But people can use whatever they like. It's all about finding what works for you. Nothing will be accomplished except failure otherwise.

I'm glad you have something that works for you, but mocking low-carbers for being happy isn't ok with me. I can't see where he was attacking your way of doing things at all. Looked like he was clarifying one of the benefits, another reason why the plan is helpful to some.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Other than that:

But, alas!, we're in Reality Land, where CICO governs all ways of eating. And where everyone is different and is free to use whatever crutch, plan, or method they need to get there.

How do you get that I think keto is superior to plain calorie deficit from that? It's superior for me. But people can use whatever they like. It's all about finding what works for you. Nothing will be accomplished except failure otherwise.

I'm glad you have something that works for you, but mocking low-carbers for being happy isn't ok with me. I can't see where he was attacking your way of doing things at all. Looked like he was clarifying one of the benefits, another reason why the plan is helpful to some.

I was not replying to you, but to a previous poster in this thread...

you just decided to come flying in to defend Keto without even knowing who I was replying to ...

I know they just updated this and all, but maybe you should learn how to use it before you come flying into a thread attacking someone...
  • baconslave
    Options

Give me a few months. I lost 56lbs in less than 5 months. I have 30-something to go, and then I'll be right there with ya. We'll fight over who gets the throne. How bout that?

You may not realize it, but the tone of that post would be hurtful to some people. I think me and the other overweight people, I can't say obese any more since I passed that 20lbs ago, feel powerless, since the first step (figuring out what they can do about it) is hard. You have to make changes. And some sacrifice. And some of us have failed so many times before. You get to believing that there is no hope.

Sure they are embarrassed, and humiliated, in many cases about how they are, or feel crappy because they are unhealthy. And we sometimes get to the point of being desperate. They don't realize what many of us here have come to learn, that we DO have power. A lot. Enough to make everything to turn around. People who grasp around for plans are looking for what works for them. And if they don't find it, they may not have the determination or courage to try again.

I personally tried a million different things until I figured out that I can't self-moderate on carbs. Or couldn't, until I did low-carb. Then I trained myself to control my portions, get out of the cravings/binge cycle, and found I could live well and happily on fewer calories. I don't have problems resisting now. Before, I tried plain and simple "just eat less of what I like," and found I was weak in that area. I just couldn't do it. Certain carbs called to me too strongly. It's hard for people, like my sarcastic, smart-*kitten* husband, to understand being completely unable to say no to them. He never had that problem. And sometimes, too, I think people who have mastered themselves for so long forget what it's like in the trenches when you don't yet realize that you DO have the power of control. Low-carb helps the people that need it develop the strength. As I'm not special, I know that I'm not the only one who appreciates being full without killing myself with food. And once we discover the strength, it becomes miraculous to us and we are passionate about it, just like some people are passionate about CICO on it's own.

Some people need a crutch. In a way, MFP is a crutch. People find it easier to keep track with it. I see no harm in crutches, as long as you find the right one for the right reasons.
  • baconslave
    Options

Other than that:

I was not replying to you, but to a previous poster in this thread...

you just decided to come flying in to defend Keto without even knowing who I was replying to ...

I know they just updated this and all, but maybe you should learn how to use it before you come flying into a thread attacking someone...

Of course you weren't talking to me. But I read something I felt I needed to comment on, as you felt you needed to make a comment to someone else. This is a public forum.

I'm sorry you feel attacked.

I've been following the thread since it was posted, and been posting in it since page 4. I'm fully aware of what is going on. There's been no swooping on my part.

I did read the post quite carefully...the post at the end of the maze of quote boxes was RockstarWilson. And he was expressing one of the great benefits of the diet, feeling satiated on less food, with which YOU responded with a mocking tone about "magic low-carb" and calorie deficit. If you weren't replying to that quote, then perhaps you should learn how to use this new forum. Consequently, the quoting system hasn't changed. Works the same, btw. A stack of nested mess. Perhaps you could be more specific with which poster you were addressing the mocking comment toward. As there were several posters in the quote maze. I logically assumed, as your comment matched the last comment, that you were mocking his comment.

You were being absurd so I responded with absurdity. And sarcasm.

I'm also sorry that you can't see the irony in you accusing me of attacking you when you prompted my response by mocking someone, or the irony that you used an insulting tone in the post of yours I quoted and in other posts.

But since you can't see it, I'm not going to waste any more of my time trying to enlighten you. It would be a fool's errand. Have a fabulous rest of your day. And good luck. :smile:

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    njd....I say: that fat satiates hunger, so people in ketosis eat less frequently, whereby having less of a problem with overeating, which leads to greater weight loss. You spin it into some chain of events that ends up with me saying that ketosis burns more fat than a standard carbohydrated diet. I am just wondering where you strayed.... if you do not have a hard time keeping to your goals every day, kudos. But go to the forums and scan the motivation posts, the weight loss posts, the nutrition posts and tell me how many "not losing weight" posts you see. Maybe that will give you perspective.

Overeating is why people gain weight; people who have to eat 3-5 meals a day have more opportunity to overeat. Ere go, the chances of gaining weight go up with people that have 3-5 meals per day compared to when people eat 1-2 meals a day. It is probability at its most basic level. It obviously does not apply to you, but the general population does not look like you do. Keep that in mind.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Overeating is why people gain weight; people who have to eat 3-5 meals a day have more opportunity to overeat. Ere go, the chances of gaining weight go up with people that have 3-5 meals per day compared to when people eat 1-2 meals a day. It is probability at its basic level. It obviously does not apply to you, but the general population does not look like you do. Keep that in mind.

Important to remember, all these "diets" are mere tools in a toolbox to achieve a desired result. Certain tools are more or less appropriate for a given task, preferences and lifestyles. Find the tool that fits your task... and get on with your life.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Important to remember, all these "diets" are mere tools in a toolbox to achieve a desired result. Certain tools are more or less appropriate for a given task, preferences and lifestyles. Find the tool that fits your task... and get on with your life.

Dude, you inspire. That just brought this room to a baseline. None of us can counter that.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Look dude, I'm not stupid. I know I can't eat anything I want as long as I skip breakfast. I do need to lose weight and believe it or not, I have managed to do so without you or your books. I have lost 27 pounds so far and I eat breakfast almost every day. When you stop stealing someone else's photo or heck, even acknowledge that you do so, I might consider listening to you. Might.

LOL.

Don't do me any favors.

If you are not stupid, then you have read the studies and know that your chance of keeping your weight off five years out on dietary restriction approach is vanishing small.

Believe it or not, there are people on these boards who make money off keeping people obese, or steering them in a direction that will fail, thereby keeping them obese and keeping their cash "cow" viable.

Just go away. You're insulting and I'm tired of it.

This discussion has been closed.