• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ahh to be 19 and know everything...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You lost 18 lbs in 3 weeks. Of that 18, I am guessing you lost:

6-12 lbs water weight. Of this, you will all or most of this back when you go back to eating the way you did before
    3-6 lbs muscle, organ tissue, etc. Of this, you will gain very little back when you start eating normally. However, you will gain more fat because your body won't be able to burn as much as it could before you went on a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD). You will also look worse than you did before because muscle is more dense. 1 lb of muscle takes up way less space than 1 lb of fat.
    2-6 lbs of fat. Again, you will gain this back when you go back to your old eating. You will gain it more rapidly because you will have lost muscle density.

I provided a range because, without your before-and-after stats (body fat %, height, weight, goal weight) it's hard to get very accurate.

I do not know how much you burn during your exercises 2-3 times a week. Whatever you are burning is subtracted from the 1,200 calories you are eating. Unless you are exceptionally short and already in the normal weight range, most women should not net below 1,200 calories a day. Below that and you're going to be losing muscle, bone density, hair, fingernails. If you're even burning 100 calories in your 2-3X workouts, you're netting 900-1000 calories a day.

You cannot maintain your muscles at that big a deficit.

I've lost 51 lbs by netting 1400-1550 per day, average. Most days I work out a little bit so that I can eat around 1600-1700 calories. In the first 3 months or so I was 30 lbs down.

Hi thank you for your advice :) I'm 5'6, 19 years old and currently 154lbs so I am within my healthy weight range however I personally feel unhappy with my weight. I have lost 18lbs since returning to university and have been here 6 weeks, the 1st October was when I started actively dieting and exercising I may well have lost more before this date simply through eating less than usual.

I intend to follow a low carb high protein diet after coming off the fast with plenty of exercise I hope to maintain/rebuild any muscle lost.

Thank you :)

Okay... this was what I was looking for right here. You are within range of a healthy BMI. You do not need to do rapid weight loss or VLCD's to get results. It is a dangerous game to play for individuals who are not morbidly obese.

It doesn't really matter if you want to fast or juice so long as you are getting a sufficient amount of calories to sustain your body's needs. Based on this TDEE calculator (http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/) that is designed for the 5:2 fast, you should be eating at least 1490 calories on non-fast days just to meet your body's caloric needs. Honestly, I would suggest eating around 1600 calories a day. You should still be well enough below your TDEE to successfully lose weight without causing damage to your body's organs.

* I used the "lightly active" activity level to make this determination.

Thank you very much for your help, I will certainly follow my TDEE once I am off the fast. So you are aware however, I was not in the healthy weight range for my height before I lost the 18lbs, I was classed as 'overweight'. That is why I am keen to keep this weight off once I come off the fast, so I can continue my weight loss more slowly and healthily. The 18lbs may well have come off because I was overweight and had been eating a very high carb diet so was probably retaining a lot of water!

Okay. But you have to account for what your body needs now. Not what it needed before. Just an FYI, even at an overweight BMI, it is not recommended to follow VLCD. Notice that I said in my post that it is a dangerous game to play with your body if you are not morbidly obese. You were never morbidly obese.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I know....

OP, you lost 18lbs in 3 weeks. You're going to have an extremely hard time keeping a fraction of that off when you go back to maintenance. From reading your posts, this may be extremely demotivating to you. I would highly recommend to listen to the people who are giving you advice about exercise and caloric deficit. Some of us have been involved in this whole health, nutrition, and exercise lifestyle for as long as you've been alive.

We might know a few things too. ;)
  • annabellemayh
    annabellemayh Posts: 69 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm sorry? What do you mean?
  • annabellemayh
    Options

I'm sorry? What do you mean?

I have taken on board the advice that people have offered and much of it has been very helpful in helping me decide how best to proceed after the fast. Especially in terms of maintenance and healthy weight loss calorie intake. Apologies but you have so far only offered scathing comments which I feel are unnecessary. The MFP forum should be a place of support where people help and listen to one another. If you don't have any advice or support to give I'm unsure as to why you would follow this thread.

Thank you
  • annabellemayh
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I know....

OP, you lost 18lbs in 3 weeks. You're going to have an extremely hard time keeping a fraction of that off when you go back to maintenance. From reading your posts, this may be extremely demotivating to you. I would highly recommend to listen to the people who are giving you advice about exercise and caloric deficit. Some of us have been involved in this whole health, nutrition, and exercise lifestyle for as long as you've been alive.

I'm sorry if you feel I have not been taking the advice on board, I assure you I have. The 18lb was lost over a 6 week period and I understand that I will regain a fair amount of this when I come off of the fast. However using the advice I have taken from many kind and helpful people who have posted I hope to keep a fair amount of the weight off too, in a healthy way following my TDEE and exercising. Whilst it may be demotivating, the fast has also given me a happy starting point where I am determined not to pile the weight back on. I do not intend to come off the fast and go back to eating how I used to. Picking out my age as a point for derision or condescension is not really conducive or relevant to anything. I am certainly taking the advice of the many helpful posts. Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I know....

I'm sorry if you feel I have not been taking the advice on board, I assure you I have. The 18lb was lost over a 6 week period and I understand that I will regain a fair amount of this when I come off of the fast. However using the advice I have taken from many kind and helpful people who have posted I hope to keep a fair amount of the weight off too, in a healthy way following my TDEE and exercising. Whilst it may be demotivating, the fast has also given me a happy starting point where I am determined not to pile the weight back on. I do not intend to come off the fast and go back to eating how I used to. Picking out my age as a point for derision or condescension is not really conducive or relevant to anything. I am certainly taking the advice of the many helpful posts. Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

The point you're missing was made out last page. You're in a healthy weight range, but unhappy with your weight....

Is it your weight your unhappy with, or your image. When you're within a healthy weight range/BMI, your body isn't normally changed for the positive by losing even more weight.

You're probably more in need of a body recomp at your age and weight rather than trying to lose more weight to get to the bottom of a healthy weight range/underweight.

Bringing up age isn't a point of derision or condensation. It's to make a point that some of the individuals that are giving you the advice to step back and reacess what you're doing have been at this whole health and fitness thing as long as you've been walking.....

Your TDEE as is would be ~2100 calories. So you're probably averaging a deficit of 1000 calories per day, figuring you exercise 2-3 times per week making that deficit even bigger. Not something at all advisable for someone your age and weight....
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I know....

The point you're missing was made out last page. You're in a healthy weight range, but unhappy with your weight....

Is it your weight your unhappy with, or your image. When you're within a healthy weight range/BMI, your body isn't normally changed for the positive by losing even more weight.

You're probably more in need of a body recomp at your age and weight rather than trying to lose more weight to get to the bottom of a healthy weight range/underweight.

Bringing up age isn't a point of derision or condensation. It's to make a point that some of the individuals that are giving you the advice to step back and reacess what you're doing have been at this whole health and fitness thing as long as you've been walking.....

Your TDEE as is would be ~2100 calories. So you're probably averaging a deficit of 1000 calories per day, figuring you exercise 2-3 times per week making that deficit even bigger. Not something at all advisable for someone your age and weight....

Time for body recomp and not losing weight since you could be just losing even more lean body mass and it gets you farther away from what you want.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say body recomp is more advisable.

If you keep losing weight, you cannot build muscle. You can't build muscle on a deficit. More muscle = less volume taken up by your weight, which means you look better (and smaller!) at x weight with muscles than you would at x weight with less muscle.

When you have more muscle, you can eat slightly more, allowing you some more leeway in maintenance than you would have with less muscle.

At your height and weight, I think you'd fit better into clothes and look better if you focus on strength training as opposed to straight dieting. In order to strength train effectively, you have to eat at/close to your tdee, because once again, muscles are not built on a deficit.

When you come off this fast, consider not dieting anymore, eating close to maintenance, and strength training. Your body will be able to do things you didn't think it could, and you'll look better. End game, more confidence for you, more food for you, nicer looking you. No downside.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I always say do what works for YOU. Everyone's bodytype is diff. With that being said, since you said that you did this before and gained the weight back I'd say fasting isn't the way to go. I've been on MFP for a couple years now working out for many years doing all kinds of diff exercises and diets and have finally found something that works for me. I realized that I wasn't getting enuff protein in my diet so I started drinking protein shakes where i put fruits and veggies in it so that I get enuff of those too. But I also eat sensible meals. I moreso portion control. I don't substitute the shakes as a meal even though you can when I drink them I have it right after my workout or with a meal. I prefer eating food rather than drinking it as a meal. Keeps me from feeling like I'm depriving myself. I added heavy carb days and very light carb days per week. I read that helps you shed fat. I workout 5-6 times a week but on my heavy carb days I lift heavy weights less cardio. On my light carb days, I do light weights and more cardio. So far so good. I've lost 10lbs since starting this in August. May not seem like alot but it is to me. Especially when I've been trying to lose this same 10lbs for the past 2 years. Anywho, that's what worked for me. Sorry so lengthy. Good luck!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Man this thread looks like it's been interesting. Maybe I'll read it, maybe not. I can't decide.

Not worth it. :laugh:
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you do not need to starve and punish yourself to drop weight. Losing weight that quickly is great at first, but you'll get trapped in the cycle you've already been through once and gain it all back. It has taken me several months to lose 18lbs, losing just a pound a week is much better for you and more likely to stay off
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There is a large faction here that believes that any weight loss except SLOW means you have no chance of maintaining it. It's not backed by much in the way of science.

But-
    Fasting/juicing/1200 IS hard and many, many teens who use it to lose do gain back because they don't have a plan for maintenance. Going back to unrestricted eating after long periods of heavy restriction can invoke binge eating.

And losing more than 2 lbs/week consistently when you're not obese isn't recommended.

You're on the line between overweight and normal now so losing more is fine but slowing down might be a good idea.

• annabellemayh
    Options
    I agree with the people who say body recomp is more advisable.

If you keep losing weight, you cannot build muscle. You can't build muscle on a deficit. More muscle = less volume taken up by your weight, which means you look better (and smaller!) at x weight with muscles than you would at x weight with less muscle.

When you have more muscle, you can eat slightly more, allowing you some more leeway in maintenance than you would have with less muscle.

At your height and weight, I think you'd fit better into clothes and look better if you focus on strength training as opposed to straight dieting. In order to strength train effectively, you have to eat at/close to your tdee, because once again, muscles are not built on a deficit.

When you come off this fast, consider not dieting anymore, eating close to maintenance, and strength training. Your body will be able to do things you didn't think it could, and you'll look better. End game, more confidence for you, more food for you, nicer looking you. No downside.

Hello thanks this has been so helpful! I've always looked in to strength training and I know it's cliche but I am always put off by not knowing where to start or being intimidated at the gym (silly I know). Although I am a healthy weight for my height it is only just, so I wanted to get into the mid range before I started any body recomp. Once I have transitioned off the fast to a healthy eating plan I would like to start strength training and focusing more on building muscle and toning as opposed to losing weight. Thank you very much for your kind response, really helpful!

• annabellemayh
    Options
    There is a large faction here that believes that any weight loss except SLOW means you have no chance of maintaining it. It's not backed by much in the way of science.

But-
    Fasting/juicing/1200 IS hard and many, many teens who use it to lose do gain back because they don't have a plan for maintenance. Going back to unrestricted eating after long periods of heavy restriction can invoke binge eating.

And losing more than 2 lbs/week consistently when you're not obese isn't recommended.

You're on the line between overweight and normal now so losing more is fine but slowing down might be a good idea.

Hi, thank you! Yes I am only just in the healthy weight range and that is due to the loss I have had over the past few weeks which is why I am keen not to pile that back on! I didn't head into this juice fast without lots of research so I know that a healthy transition is key to not putting the weight back on and hopefully I'll be able to do this! I agree that a slower rate would be healthier after this "jumpstart". (Inverted commas I know many people are sceptical about kickstarting a diet but I hope it will work for me)
  • annabellemayh
    Options
    I always say do what works for YOU. Everyone's bodytype is diff. With that being said, since you said that you did this before and gained the weight back I'd say fasting isn't the way to go. I've been on MFP for a couple years now working out for many years doing all kinds of diff exercises and diets and have finally found something that works for me. I realized that I wasn't getting enuff protein in my diet so I started drinking protein shakes where i put fruits and veggies in it so that I get enuff of those too. But I also eat sensible meals. I moreso portion control. I don't substitute the shakes as a meal even though you can when I drink them I have it right after my workout or with a meal. I prefer eating food rather than drinking it as a meal. Keeps me from feeling like I'm depriving myself. I added heavy carb days and very light carb days per week. I read that helps you shed fat. I workout 5-6 times a week but on my heavy carb days I lift heavy weights less cardio. On my light carb days, I do light weights and more cardio. So far so good. I've lost 10lbs since starting this in August. May not seem like alot but it is to me. Especially when I've been trying to lose this same 10lbs for the past 2 years. Anywho, that's what worked for me. Sorry so lengthy. Good luck!

That's brilliant well done on your loss. I definitely need to introduce more protein into my diet and there's so much positive talk on here about weight training I feel I really would love to get into it. It's knowing where to start that's difficult! Thanks for replying :)