Need Ideas for my overweight Daughter

Options
My Daughter is overweight. It is affecting her mentally in a big way.

She is larger than I ever was. Could be the genes on her other side affecting her worse than me. She definitely binge eats and I have scheduled an appointment with someone so we can try and get to the bottom of it.

I stopped letting her eat lunch at school this year and started having her take lunch. This week we found she is in love with these salads at Costco that are only 250 calories plus I add some fruit in there. I started my healthy lifestyle (of course I stumble here and there) in 2011 and thought it would be a positive influence on her but it hasn't helped.

She does not like to talk about her weight and when it's brought up she takes it as an attack.

My goal is to get her on a good diet and start her interest in cross country for her freshman year. She starts H.S. in 1 1/2 years.

I would love some ideas on how I can help her. She is approximately 40ish Lbs overweight.

Thank you MFP Fam!

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What color is the sky on your planet where 250 calories is an appropriate lunch for a teenaged girl? My god, I'm a short, middle-aged woman and I'm losing a pound a week on more like a 600 calorie lunch, and I'm still pretty eager for dinner when dinnertime rolls around.

The bottom of that binge eating might honestly be that you're restricting food enough that she's genuinely hungry.

The idea that you're choosing a sport for her is also insane. I get requiring a physical activity. But let her choose what she's into.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Exercise with her. Cross country is fabulous. Start running or at least walking with her as much as possible. My long walk and talks with my children have been great bonding time. They have told me things that maybe they wouldn't have otherwise and as a result we have gotten to know each other much better. Also, of course, lead by example.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I understand your concern for your daughter but I just pled to you to go about it in a healthy way. I think instead of putting her on some sort of diet all around you should just have only healthy choices in your home, no cookies, or chips or ice cream. Also this could back fire on you if you are not picking your words carefully and she could develop an eating disorder. Being young is hard and knowing that you are overweight makes it hard it sounds like you can relate to her and are not trying to make it worse and just care. I personally eat over 300 cals for lunch and need it I imagine if you are younger you need more. I think instead you need to as I said make healthy home choices and instead of couching it right after school or work go for a walk or to the park and play. Grade 7 is too early to put dieting thoughts in her head you are the parent and control whats in the home so just make it a healthy environment.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What color is the sky on your planet where 250 calories is an appropriate lunch for a teenaged girl? My god, I'm a short, middle-aged woman and I'm losing a pound a week on more like a 600 calorie lunch, and I'm still pretty eager for dinner when dinnertime rolls around.

The bottom of that binge eating might honestly be that you're restricting food enough that she's genuinely hungry.

The idea that you're choosing a sport for her is also insane. I get requiring a physical activity. But let her choose what she's into.

+1 My daughter will be (gasp!) 20 next month. She was a little chunky when she was your daughter's age. Finding a sport she LOVED (cheerleading) helped lots, but what really helped was talking to her, doing things with her, boosting her self-confidence in other ways.

What's your relationship with food like these days? My daughter learned to make better choices when I stopped counting calories like they were the enemy. Maybe you could interest her in helping choose food, shop, cook for the family?
  • alcrisp93
    Options
    It's possible that she doesn't like to talk about her weight because you are attacking her about it. Young girls live in a world that conditions them to feel uncomfortable with their bodies. If she's starting high school in a year and a half, then she's at a very difficult time in life. If she feels like you're shaming her for her weight, that won't help anyone.

I think the best advice I can give you is for you to really examine your motivations here. Choosing her sports for her and limiting her to 250 calorie lunches + fruit, saying that she can't eat lunch at school- those are all incredibly restricting, controlling choices for you to make as a parent. They're more likely to hurt her than to help her.

Everyone accepts it when young boys of the same age eat their parents out of house and home, because they're "growing boys" and need the energy. Remember that your daughter is a growing girl too when you think about restricting her calories that much. It's not safe.

The best thing you can do is let her know that you love her, no matter what her weight is. You can live a healthy life style yourself, but forcing an overly restrictive one on her is A) not healthy at all, and b) wouldn't help her to lose weight anyway. If she's going to make the choice to live healthier, she will have to do it herself. Even children don't react well to life style changes that are forced on them, regardless of the fact that you're the parent and you make the rules, or whatever that rationale might be.

In fact, the trend seems to be that children whose parents force diets on them have lower self esteem and are more likely to exhibit ED behavior in the future.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sometimes our attitudes towards our own bodies can have a bad influence on our daughters (and how they treat theirs). She is still growing, let her eat. Teach her the value of eating her veggies and fruits. Get her active, and like someone said above, let her choose her own activity. Unfortunately they are so impressionable at this age and you don't want them developing ED behavior.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My mom suggested I start jogging the summer before I started high school. I wasn't overweight but I wasn't doing anything active. I started with short distances at a slow pace. It wouldn't have occurred to me if she hadn't suggested it and I wasn't offended. I started running more and more and made varsity cross country by my sophomore year. It definitely helped me develop healthy exercise and eating habits at a time when a lot of kids eat a ton of junk food. I am grateful to my mom for instilling good habits in me at a young, impressionable age. Her attitude was basically like, you're young, get out there and do something active! I wouldn't worry so much about offending your daughter. Now is the time to influence her. Before too long she'll be in college and on her own. Barring any illnesses, there's no reason she can't be a healthy, active teenager with your guidance.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I was the fat kid and fat adult. My mother would try to encourage me to lose weight and be active. I was a bookworm and liked to stay inside. I would sneak food when she wasn't around. I wanted to be thin, and did Weight Watchers on and off. It took me a while to realize what I needed to do to lose the weight.

What I am saying is that by you constantly focusing on her weight, she has to do it herself. You can try and push her in the right direction, but she has to want it. I am sure she does but doesn't want you to point out. You can make suggestions but I really wouldn't harp on her about her weight. You will only make her feel worse about herself. As for therapy, are you going to be there? I hope not because whatever problems she has, she needs to discuss them alone with the therapist because you could be the problem. By problem, you constantly getting on her about her weight and making her feel like she is not good enough for you. Love her and accept her for who she is. You can say that you do, but by you getting on her about her weight, sends a whole other message.
  • timika82
    Options
    Support her. Dont throw her weight in her face at all times. Also trying cooking healthy. By doing small things it will help her in the long run. Trust me I have been in her position.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies! I want to make it clear that I am not restricting her diet to only a few hundred calories. I think you took my salad comment incorrectly. What I am really saying is that we found something she likes (besides junk/fast food) that she likes. She commented on how good it was and that is a great start to get her eating "healthier" foods. I'm well aware of not eating enough calories and it's affect on our health.

I would never suggest she eat only a few calories. She is young and burns a lot more than me.

As far as pushing a sport on her, I haven't done that either. She just finished a season of baseball (yes, baseball not softball) and loved it. However, she can't continue because the next level is too intense for her.

My brother ran cross country and I have fallen in love with running myself. I truly believe in running and the wonderful effects it has on our bodies and minds. I would like to encourage her to run (not force). I think as parents, we have to do a little of that right? I'm thinking starting out with just walking.

I think she will come around with fitness. Her biggest problem IMO is food choices.

Also, FYI, I do not EVER bring up her weight to her. When she brings it up and says "I'm fat" I just say "You look fine." "Don't say that", etc. I compliment her on her outfits, etc. We don't let our other kids mention it to her. However, I need to do SOMETHING. By just brushing it off, over time, has made it much worse. I am sorry to say this but it has. I do not want to start an attack campaign against her just help. I just need ideas!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    As the mom of a 15 year old daughter I can tell you that nine times out of ten, she won't want to do anything if you're the one who suggests it. Create an atmosphere where healthy eating and exercise are easy choices to make, but leave her open to making them. Restricting and insisting will only lead to rebellion and possibly, as a poster above suggested, sneaky eating.

Wish I could find the gif for "I said a healthy snack Rebecca!!!" LOL
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    goalpeace wrote: »
    I would like to encourage her to run (not force). I think as parents, we have to do a little of that right? I'm thinking starting out with just walking.

Agreed. It's your job as a parent to guide your daughter, give her the tools and set her on the right path for a healthy life as an adult!
  • taymay34
    taymay34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. My son is in 7th grade and even since I can remember he has been " chunky". For our family, competition is a great thing with some kind of silly reward at the end. Example, the winner got to throw a pie in the other family members face. My 12 year old won cuz he didn't want his 14 year old brother to be able to pie him.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    First of all she has to want to do something about it and then do it. The first part is easy the second is not. Maybe just get her to start counting calories and see how much she really is eating and go from there. I can guarantee you if she wants she is still eating those school lunches at her age all you can do is educate her. When you are not around she will be making her own choices and the more you push the more she will rebel.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, teenagers don't really like to take much advice from parents. From ages 13-18 you're going to be her enemy. She'll love you more than ever once she hits her 20's, though.

See if any of her friends play any sports or are active. Talk to their parents and try to get the kids to do it together. Just don't...embarrass her. Being an overweight teenager was one of the worst things for me and I am a guy with little social pressure to "look sexy." She knows what she needs to do. She just needs supportive friends and a fun/safe environment.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Actively restricting her calories and putting her on a diet is a really bad idea. Focus on learning about nutrition, encouraging activity -- anything but her weight! She's what, 13ish now? She probably already feels like her body is doing a bunch of weird stuff that she has no control over. If you help her concentrate on behaviors (things she can control and influence) instead of the outcome (her weight), it can be a more positive experience for her. Lots of kids have a really chunky phase when they're going through puberty, so she could be doing everything exactly right and still just be chunky for awhile.

What's an appropriate calorie range for someone of her age and stats? A 250 calorie lunch sounds really low to me too -- trying to get through a school day on that would trigger bingeing in a lot of people.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ok, so the best thing to do would be to just continue to support her or even step up my supporting of her. She is definitely going through some changes and I thought about that but her weight has just steadily gone up and up. Her Doctor has made comments about her weight during appointments. I will focus on healthy choices and some activities. I still need ideas for this.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    They have books aimed at girls her age that will help her learn how to care for her body. Or you could try the Girlosophy series. It's not just limited to younger girls. I have/love the main Girlosophy book. You can find it on Amazon. It's about loving yourself and girl empowerment. It includes inspirational thoughts on properly fueling your body and being active, plus a lot more. There's a food book, but I haven't used that one.

Also, in your original post, you mentioned that you thought her genetics on the other side of her family were contributing to her weight gain. That kind of thinking can hurt her because it makes the situation feel hopeless and out of her control.

If you really want to help her, then talk to her about what activities that she's actually interested in trying and then help her try them. If you start giving her things to try without considering what she wants, then it's all going to feel like a chore and an ordeal. She needs to find something that works long term.
  • Milvardea
    Options
    Maybe you could work a little harder on letting your daughter know you love her the way she is, so she can learn to love herself instead of trying to force her to lose weight. You are essentially saying "You aren't good enough the way you are." Why don't you try some positive reinforcement, and get down to the brass tacks of WHY she overeats? It could be depression or maybe self-image issues (since her mom is telling her she's fat and has to lose weight). Most people binge eat for a sense of control. It sounds like she needs to see a therapist. Also, maybe you could exercise together, and let her pick the routine, give her back a sense of control.
  • bhberth
    bhberth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is so tough. As a mom of girls, I completely understand your desire to protect her from a life of being overweight. My daughters are very young (3 and 1), but I would hate for them to experience some of the things I did being a chunky kid. That being said, I was also the daughter of a mom who struggled with her weight, so I've been on the other end as well. I am absolutely sure that my mom was well-meaning in everything she said or implied (also all to protect me), but the fact is when you are a teenager, you already feel awkward and ugly and the last thing you want is to think, even for a second, that your mother looks at you the same way. Even if you don't actively mention her weight to her, you may be implying it in other ways and making her feel worse. My suggestion? Go home and tell her sincerely that she's gorgeous. Give her a big hug. Go for a walk together. And call it a day.