is skipping a meal bad or okay?

Options

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's not only about calories macros. The way our bodies work are not always connected to numbers nd percentages.

I used to skip food and later started having gallbladder issues. My doctor said one of the main reasons was skipping food and having long period of no eating time during a day.

I was eating very healthy, nonfat natural food, so neither fat, nor diet was the issue. But because of my ok I could eat only once or twice a day, and no snacks.
    The gall wouldn't circulate or exit the correct way because there was no food in the stomach. The gall got stuck in the gallbladder causing stones. My stomach acids also started acting bad hurting the walls of the stomach.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing in explanation. English is not my native language and its hard o explain medical processes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not only about calories macros. The way our bodies work are not always connected to numbers nd percentages.

I used to skip food and later started having gallbladder issues. My doctor said one of the main reasons was skipping food and having long period of no eating time during a day.

I was eating very healthy, nonfat natural food, so neither fat, nor diet was the issue. But because of my ok I could eat only once or twice a day, and no snacks.
    The gall wouldn't circulate or exit the correct way because there was no food in the stomach. The gall got stuck in the gallbladder causing stones. My stomach acids also started acting bad hurting the walls of the stomach.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing in explanation. English is not my native language and its hard o explain medical processes.
    There are about a million things that can cause gallbladder issues and there is absolutely no way to pinpoint what caused a specific person's problem.

I just had mine out three weeks ago, so I'm pretty familiar with this issue right now. And one of the things that can cause SERIOUS gallbladder problems is not eating enough fat, by the way.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Life happens and things get in the way. If your habits are generally good, and you usually get normal, regular meals, then one day of a skipped meal will not hurt you. Try not to over eat at the next meal. Do the best you can to make up for it the rest of the day, and then move on to tomorrow.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I think the issue was not that you went long periods of not eating but that you ate very low fat or no fat. Your meal needs to contain fat so that bile is released to break down the fat. If no fat is forthcoming the bile will sit in the gallbladder for long periods of time. Some people are just prone to gallstones. Very low calorie diets which are probably low in fat may cause gallstones.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

There are about a million things that can cause gallbladder issues and there is absolutely no way to pinpoint what caused a specific person's problem.

I just had mine out three weeks ago, so I'm pretty familiar with this issue right now. And one of the things that can cause SERIOUS gallbladder problems is not eating enough fat, by the way.

I'm pretty familiar with the gallbladder problems, thank you very much.My doctors said non regular eating was one of the main reasons. It took me 2 years of treatment and diet to get it all back on track. I needed to have it out but it was in such a bad condition, doctors were afraid it'd break during the surgery. So I was put on medication and restricted diet to calm it down before the surgery. But the treatment went so well, it came back to its original shape and work. It took 2 years of diet thou.

But now I have a healthy gallbladder.

Right now I'm on a diet to lose weight and my dietician put me on 4 times a day meal just because of my gallbladder experience.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm pretty familiar with the gallbladder problems, thank you very much.My doctors said non regular eating was one of the main reasons. It took me 2 years of treatment and diet to get it all back on track. I needed to have it out but it was in such a bad condition, doctors were afraid it'd break during the surgery. So I was put on medication and restricted diet to calm it down before the surgery. But the treatment went so well, it came back to its original shape and work. It took 2 years of diet thou.

But now I have a healthy gallbladder.

Right now I'm on a diet to lose weight and my dietician put me on 4 times a day meal just because of my gallbladder experience.

OK then. :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Eat when you want as long as your calories and macros are in line for the day :)
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but the PhD researcher from MSNBC/ivillage does not know what she is talking about. There are multiple research articles about it that show late night eating is bad because the body stores them in a different manner.
    Just this week there was another scientific article from UPenn about it:
    "Dr Satchidananda Panda, the study’s lead author, said that at certain times of day the liver, intestines and muscles are at peak efficiency, while at other times they are ‘sleeping’. He added: ‘Every organ has a clock. Those metabolic cycles are critical.

‘When mice or people eat throughout the day and night, it can throw off those normal metabolic cycles.’

At the end of their study, the mice that ate all day and night had 70 per cent more fatty deposits than the time-restricted group."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2145853/Eating-late-night-DOES-make-fat-researchers-say.html#ixzz2CQhKWzMw

Metabolic cycles are important, that's why people who work night shifts have problem getting pregnant (there are gazillion scientific research articles about it.)

Also, the Sleep Medicine division at BWH that does the research for NASA has also shown that.
    "The researchers found that when the participants’ sleep, activity, and meal patterns were out of synch with circadian rhythms for three weeks, their resting metabolic rate decreased dramatically – translating into a yearly weight gain of about 10 pounds. During this same period of sub-optimal sleeping, participants’ blood sugar spiked and remained higher for hours after meals (because of poor insulin secretion by the pancreas), a telltale sign of developing diabetes.

By keeping the participants’ diet and activity levels constant throughout the study, researchers were able to determine that insufficient sleep and sleeping at abnormal times were directly responsible for lowering metabolism and raising blood sugar levels. This suggests that when our sleep schedule is dictated by factors that conflict with our body’s natural inclinations, our health is going to suffer." http://healthhub.brighamandwomens.org/sleep-research-is-the-night-shift-bad-for-your-health

This supports the idea that it is important to eat breakfast. Do not forget that your body has been fasting let's say since midnight, that's 7 hours that it has not been receiving any outside energy.
    "UC Irvine researchers have discovered that circadian rhythms – our own body clock – regulate energy levels in cells. The findings have far-reaching implications, from providing greater insights into the bond between the body's day-night patterns and metabolism to creating new ways to treat cancer, diabetes, obesity and a host of related diseases." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090312140840.htm

And another interesting research on timed meals:
    "According to Prof. Froy, "Our research shows that the timing of food consumption takes precedence over the amount of fat in the diet, leading to improved metabolism and helping to prevent obesity. Improving metabolism through the careful scheduling of meals, without limiting the content of the daily menu, could be used as a therapeutic tool to prevent obesity in humans." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120912084430.htm
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It's fine. All the talk about keeping your metabolism up with frequent meals is crap. As long as your calories are correct and you get your macros at the end of the day then it's fine.
    You will find so much research backing up every argument but it all comes down to what works for you. People will go on about frequent meals and show pictures showing their progress to prove it works but you can see the same kind of progress from people doing stuff like intermittant fasting. I've done frequent meals and more recently skipping breakfast (IF) just trying to find what works best for me. I'd post some research articles on fasting and less frequent meals but you've gotten enough of that on here. :)

Just don't stress about skipping breakfast. Most of the argument behind not doing it is that people tend to be ravenous later and overeat. As long as your watching your macros and keeping control, your fine.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I always hear about how the caveman ate, how do we know they weren't a bunch of fat *kitten*. Just because they drew stick figures on the walls doesn't mean they were skinny. Just sayin':laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but the PhD researcher from MSNBC/ivillage does not know what she is talking about. There are multiple research articles about it that show late night eating is bad because the body stores them in a different manner.
    Just this week there was another scientific article from UPenn about it:
    "Dr Satchidananda Panda, the study’s lead author, said that at certain times of day the liver, intestines and muscles are at peak efficiency, while at other times they are ‘sleeping’. He added: ‘Every organ has a clock. Those metabolic cycles are critical.

‘When mice or people eat throughout the day and night, it can throw off those normal metabolic cycles.’

At the end of their study, the mice that ate all day and night had 70 per cent more fatty deposits than the time-restricted group."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2145853/Eating-late-night-DOES-make-fat-researchers-say.html#ixzz2CQhKWzMw

Metabolic cycles are important, that's why people who work night shifts have problem getting pregnant (there are gazillion scientific research articles about it.)

Also, the Sleep Medicine division at BWH that does the research for NASA has also shown that.
    "The researchers found that when the participants’ sleep, activity, and meal patterns were out of synch with circadian rhythms for three weeks, their resting metabolic rate decreased dramatically – translating into a yearly weight gain of about 10 pounds. During this same period of sub-optimal sleeping, participants’ blood sugar spiked and remained higher for hours after meals (because of poor insulin secretion by the pancreas), a telltale sign of developing diabetes.

By keeping the participants’ diet and activity levels constant throughout the study, researchers were able to determine that insufficient sleep and sleeping at abnormal times were directly responsible for lowering metabolism and raising blood sugar levels. This suggests that when our sleep schedule is dictated by factors that conflict with our body’s natural inclinations, our health is going to suffer." http://healthhub.brighamandwomens.org/sleep-research-is-the-night-shift-bad-for-your-health

This supports the idea that it is important to eat breakfast. Do not forget that your body has been fasting let's say since midnight, that's 7 hours that it has not been receiving any outside energy.
    "UC Irvine researchers have discovered that circadian rhythms – our own body clock – regulate energy levels in cells. The findings have far-reaching implications, from providing greater insights into the bond between the body's day-night patterns and metabolism to creating new ways to treat cancer, diabetes, obesity and a host of related diseases." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090312140840.htm

And another interesting research on timed meals:
    "According to Prof. Froy, "Our research shows that the timing of food consumption takes precedence over the amount of fat in the diet, leading to improved metabolism and helping to prevent obesity. Improving metabolism through the careful scheduling of meals, without limiting the content of the daily menu, could be used as a therapeutic tool to prevent obesity in humans." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120912084430.htm

Not sure who you are talking about when you say that he PhD researcher from MSNBC/ivillage does not know what she is talking about" but its a little ironic in any case imo.

Both of these studies mentioned are on rats.

Here are some articles (that I already posted here) that cite peer reviewed studies on humans that say otherwise:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#frequency
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Here are some actual peer reviewed studies that indicate that meal timing is either irrelevant or in fact it may be beneficial to eat most of your calories in the evening:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17483007
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137
  • AceoStar
    AceoStar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LexyDB wrote: »

Save these until after your work out. The condition of your body post work out finds it practically impossible to store carbohydrates as fat for 60 - 90 minutes. If you've exercises with intensity, again, most on here cannot be found guilty of this, the food will be used to repair and refuel your body so capitalise on this and avoid fat production.

What would constitute as "with intensity". Does a 12 min jogging mile for 15min count, or are we talking about fairly high HR?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    That depends - is it breakfast?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Growing up I never had breakfast.

We could probably learn something from the other animals in the world. Grazing is for bulking and fattening up. I don't see any harm in skipping a meal. It's a silly comparison, but did you ever see an overweight cheetah successful in hunting?

I second doing whatever works for YOUR body.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    It's only a problem if it causes you to over eat. If you can do it and not blow your calorie deficit... it's fine.
  • ggilbert95
    ggilbert95 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    well when i forget or dont have time i skip breakfast sometimes but then i make up for it at lunch.
    so is this bad or good??
    any sugestions??
    no hatin

It's good.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency and meal timing differences have no effect on weight loss when calories are kept the same. In other words, eating 3 meals, 6 meals, 2 meals, or whatever else, when the total daily calories are the same between them will result in the same weight loss.

The only way meal frequency and timing play into things is in terms of compliance to ones calorie goal. If eating frequently helps, do it. If eating less frequently help, do it. If skipping a meal doesn't cause you to go over your calories, it is not a problem.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    toddis wrote: »
    The issue isn't really if you eat 1, 3 or 5 meals a day. It is whether skipping the meals causes you to make unhealthy/bad decisions later.

If you're not hungry, don't eat.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It's really overall calories that count more than anything.

Now, I swim and am RAVENOUS after my workout, so yeah, breakfast. But I figure unless it causes you to overeat otherwise, eat as many or as few meals a day as suits you.

And Zalli is right. Three meals a day is relatively new. I know medieval and early Renaissance medical tradition called for two (a large dinner around 10 or 11 am and a light supper in the evening) unless one was a laborer. Then you had bread and ale in the morning, dinner at noon and a snack before bed, if you were lucky enough to afford it, or had a good master.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry. The starvation mode theory is a myth, and there is no such thing as eating breakfast to "kickstart" your metabolism.