Females and Weights

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been lifting on and off since high school actually. Just got back into it, and doing it regular about 3 years ago. I love it. I love feeling strong and capable and what it's done to my body. 4 years ago I was having a hard time picking up my then 4 year old daughter. She's now 8 and 60lbs and I can pick her up and carry her around just fine. I can carry groceries, move furniture and even open pickle jars (most of the time).

I'd say the strength in every day life is my favorite part of lifting.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am one of the people that loves Stronglifts -- I am into the app which I need because I am terrible at remembering WTF to do and when and what and blah blah. I liked Strong Curves (which let me tell you did amazing things for my abs, seriously) but I love the simplicity of Stronglifts. Like usmcmp said, try stuff and have fun. If you stop having run, try something else.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been lifting on and off since high school actually. Just got back into it, and doing it regular about 3 years ago. I love it. I love feeling strong and capable and what it's done to my body. 4 years ago I was having a hard time picking up my then 4 year old daughter. She's now 8 and 60lbs and I can pick her up and carry her around just fine. I can carry groceries, move furniture and even open pickle jars (most of the time).

Those damn pickle jars...

Seriously, can get all the groceries in one load thanks to lifting. But that pickle jar?! Bah! xD
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Op, I just also want to add that I lift weights for fitness as well. I'm a dancer, but I also lift weights 3 or 4 times a week to increase my strength, prevent injury, and to add to my own personal aesthetic goals. I do Strong Curves. That works for me and my personal goals at this time.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I am one of the people that loves Stronglifts -- I am into the app which I need because I am terrible at remembering WTF to do and when and what and blah blah. I liked Strong Curves (which let me tell you did amazing things for my abs, seriously) but I love the simplicity of Stronglifts. Like usmcmp said, try stuff and have fun. If you stop having run, try something else.

Do you use the Stronglifts iPhone app? I like it to keep track, but the timer defaults to 1:30 rest times...does anyone know any way to adjust, or another app that has adjustable rest times?
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    iCupCakeNZ wrote: »
    So i'm new to the weightlifting scene, two weeks into it actually and already i'm starting to notice small changes including the drop in my body fat percentage as well as my arms are starting to tone and get smaller. I was just curious as to how many woman out there have used weight lifting as a way to tone up and lose weight and what their results were as well as how it affected them and how often they did it.

Any feed back would be much appreciated

I am finally starting to be consistent, and I'm excited to start seeing changes in my body from it. GO YOU!! Lifting is awesome, and I think everyone should do it. It will keep you healthy well into old age, and keeps bones strong, among other things. While I haven't seen changes in my body yet due to my inconsistency, I HAVE seen changes in my overall mobility, and my ability to pick up and carry things that I couldn't before. Previously, I would have to split the groceries with my husband, because I couldn't carry most of the bags if they were full. Now, I race him for the heaviest ones.

Biggest thing, it's given me my self-confidence back.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Those damn pickle jars...

Seriously, can get all the groceries in one load thanks to lifting. But that pickle jar?! Bah! xD

I think you need big hands.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Do you use the Stronglifts iPhone app? I like it to keep track, but the timer defaults to 1:30 rest times...does anyone know any way to adjust, or another app that has adjustable rest times?

I use the iPhone app for SL. My understanding of it is that SL encourages you to rest 90 seconds between sets for more effective lifting (being able to lift the heavier weights for the reps/sets prescribed). I could be totally off base there though.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS. . . . . . . :):):):)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Yep and it's my (and husband's) primary complaint about the app itself. I haven't found a work around, so I just go with it. I am totally not a "schmuck" yet and that I figure it probably knows what I need better than I do at this point.

• lishie_rebooted
    Options

There are a thread about this yesterday actually.
    I wish I could remember the name for you...

JeFit was mentioned. Redy-something as well.
    I'm not super helpful here since I use a notebook and a pen to track my workouts - I'm old school.
    But search the forums for "lifting tracking app", something like that should find it for you
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    FTR, I can't wait until I can get back into lifting... Right now it's verbotten, but I like it so much better than cardio...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

I use the iPhone app for SL. My understanding of it is that SL encourages you to rest 90 seconds between sets for more effective lifting (being able to lift the heavier weights for the reps/sets prescribed). I could be totally off base there though.

That is what I have read too. I like the 90 second break most of the time -- other's ehhhhh, I wish it would go faster.

• Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    usmcmp is one of the most helpful and informed women on this site that lift. She truly is an inspiration both in her goals, her achievements and how she supports those of us that would try to even be a little bit like her.

OP: I have been lifting for about a year and a half, I started with NROLFW and moved on to Stronglifts, I have since moved on to an intermediate program.

I love lifting and if you ever come across a essay piece by Henry Rollins about the Iron that can say so much better how I feel about it than I can.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I'm not super helpful here since I use a notebook and a pen to track my workouts - I'm old school.
    But search the forums for "lifting tracking app", something like that should find it for you

FitNotes has an adjustable timer too.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    FTR, I can't wait until I can get back into lifting... Right now it's verbotten, but I like it so much better than cardio...

Medically banned?
    I went through that as well.
    Every physical therapy appointment I'd ask if I was allowed to squat or deadlift yet
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Thank you! :D
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    May I suggest you join this group on here. Lots of info! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Thank you! :D

No problem!
    I hope you're able to find it and get an app that works for you =]

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

Medically banned?
    I went through that as well.
    Every physical therapy appointment I'd ask if I was allowed to squat or deadlift yet

Yeah... I was just starting to lift and even then I wasn't exactly consistant... and now I've got a bun in the oven and now I can't lift like I should... I'm still doing to do some dumbbell lifts to just keep my muscles remembering... But yeah, I was order no more than 20 pounds (psh! yeah right, my toddler weighs more than that)... but I was only deadlifting 30 pounds anyway... which isn't a lot compared to many of the ladies here.. but it was for me. ;) either way, I gotta take it down a notch.