Am I undoing my work if I don't take rest days?

Options
Hi all,
I joined a gym about 8 months back, and for a long time was 100% cardio (I thought that was the way to tone up, I have learnt since then!)
I asked for a programme to be put together for me on the weights machines, with the aim of following the programme for a month to build my strength up a bit, then move onto free weights.
Anyway, the machines on my programme are:
Adductor
Abductor
Seated leg press
lat pull down
shoulder press
chest press
rotary torso
I follow the weights machines with about 20 mins rowing, and 20 mins on x trainer.
I have been doing this monday to friday for about 3 weeks.

Is doing this 5 days in a row going to do more harm than good? Do I need rest days for muscle recovery, or is that just for people wanting serious gains?
And can a rest day be used for just cardio so I still get some kind of burn?
At the moment my only gym free days are sat/sun.

thanks in advance for any advice,
it will be much appreciated :-)

Replies

• philwrightfitness
    Options
    Doing the same weight regime for 5 straight days doesn't give your muscles adequate recovery time. Rest days are important . If you want to train on consecutive days try a split routine so legs, chest and tri, back and biceps, shoulders and abs etc, on different days . A four day split routine with maybe one day of light cardio/ stretching should work , you can add an extra day as you get more advanced
    Options
    Thanks, I think I need to rewire my brain! Since I made going to the gym a habit, I see a day off as slacking. Maybe I'd better to move to free weights now and get a few different programmes for different areas/days.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Recovery time is when the muscle actually repairs itself and grows. No recovery, no growth. You can do continuous exercise only if you split the muscle groups up so that, for example, you're only doing lower body on one day and upper body the next (or whatever split you're comfortable with.) You don't want to work the same muscle group two days in a row.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you're not allowing enough recovery time between weight sessions, you're setting yourself up for an injury, which means you'll be away from the gym for much longer!! I was the same, I over trained, I didn't pick any long term injuries, but I was sore constantly, tired all the time, did pick up a slight injury towards the end of last year, but I had planned to take 6 weeks off running at that point any way and it didn't affect my weights so I could continue with that, but even now, I have to watch how much high impact stuff I do (insanity classes are out for me). Rest days are essential to allow the muscles to repair. As above, split out the work out, do a cardio day, legs weights day, another cardio day, arms weights day, another cardio day. Play about with it, find what works for you and make sure you take at least 1 rest day a week!
    Options
    Thanks guys, good to know i can get the results i want without going to the gym every day :-) I'm going to ask for a free weights programe tomorrow (having a night off tonight now) maybe top half/bottom half/abs. thats 3 days weights, i can do spin one day and have 3 days off per week. sweeeeet!
  • GillianMcK
    Options
    Just don't take those 3 days off in a row!!
  • heavenridge
    heavenridge Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you did the tiniest bit of research on this subject you'd know the answer to this question.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/
    Options
    GillianMcK wrote: »
    Just don't take those 3 days off in a row!!

lol, I won't :-)
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    11406203 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, good to know i can get the results i want without going to the gym every day :-) I'm going to ask for a free weights programe tomorrow (having a night off tonight now) maybe top half/bottom half/abs. thats 3 days weights, i can do spin one day and have 3 days off per week. sweeeeet!

Upper/lower splits are a great way to keep up volume without compromising recovery.
    Options
    Am I ok to carry on following weight sessions with a bit of cardio? I don't need cardio rest days do I?
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Could I just ask if you got your plan from a person trainer at the gym?
    I've been going to the gym for 6 months now but like you I've been doing about 80% cardio and a little weight training on various machines.
    I'm unsure whether consulting a trainer before I seriously begin would be a good idea or not really matter..
    Options
    Could I just ask if you got your plan from a person trainer at the gym?
    I've been going to the gym for 6 months now but like you I've been doing about 80% cardio and a little weight training on various machines.
    I'm unsure whether consulting a trainer before I seriously begin would be a good idea or not really matter..

Yes, the trainers at my gym are happy to put programmes together for free. Or you can pay for a personal trainer and they do the workouts with you. I just asked for a plan to follow.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do not have a rest day, I go 7 days a week, just change things up every single day.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    For sure rest is paramount.
    And it's the hardest day for me, because I want to get out and do things.

Options
    Thank u everyone. Some super helpful people here on MFP! Only just started reading the forum, so far very useful :-)
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Muscle tissue is extremely adaptable and can take and recover from absolutely anything you throw at it. Your recovery should be based around your joints and nervous system fatigue. So if your muscles feel sore it doesn't matter, you should still train. When you're feeling generally worn down and/or your joints are a little sore then it's fine to take a day off to recover.
    People who schedule days off and still want to train are not training hard enough. If you're training with proper intensity and volume then after a few days you will be begging for a day off and you will have earned it.
  • GillianMcK
    Options
    Muscle tissue is extremely adaptable and can take and recover from absolutely anything you throw at it. Your recovery should be based around your joints and nervous system fatigue. So if your muscles feel sore it doesn't matter, you should still train. When you're feeling generally worn down and/or your joints are a little sore then it's fine to take a day off to recover.
    People who schedule days off and still want to train are not training hard enough. If you're training with proper intensity and volume then after a few days you will be begging for a day off and you will have earned it.

Sorry, I take a day off regardless, I'm doing 70 miles a week, PT session which is normally weights, another weights session and an hour of kettlebells, my muscle are sore, but rarely feel run down or have issues with the joints, but without a rest day in there, I would be willing to put money down on an injury cropping up rather quickly (or the run down feeling/joints issue arising), I don't want that to happen so I train to avoid that happening by taking a rest day to allow recovery!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't need cardio rest days do I?
    What do you mean by "cardio"? 5 minutes running on a treadmill is different to 100 miles / 6 hours cycling in hilly countryside for example. Less extreme example would be the effects of resistance based cardio (rowing would be one) on your body are different to joging. So the rest/recovery needs are different.

Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't need cardio rest days do I?
    What do you mean by "cardio"? 5 minutes running on a treadmill is different to 100 miles / 6 hours cycling in hilly countryside for example. Less extreme example would be the effects of resistance based cardio (rowing would be one) on your body are different to joging. So the rest/recovery needs are different.

Cardio is usually 20 mins rowing medium resistance and 20 to 30 mins cross trainer varied resistance throughout (if I've already done some weights)

or a 45 minute spin class if no weights that day.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Am I ok to carry on following weight sessions with a bit of cardio? I don't need cardio rest days do I?
    Yes the latest research shows that mixing weight training and cardio isn't detrimental just make sure you have adequate pre and inter training nutrition . Depleting your glycogen mid workout could be detrimental