Am I undoing my work if I don't take rest days?

2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    OP you might want to look into new rules of lifting for woman or strong lifts 5x5 both are great beginner programs..

additionally, you would probably benefit from some kind of upper/lower split type program ..where you hit upper moves on Monday; lower on Tuesday; take Wednesday off or some light cardio/abs; Thursday - upper; Friday lower...

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    50sFit wrote: »
    11406203 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, good to know i can get the results i want without going to the gym every day :-) I'm going to ask for a free weights programe tomorrow (having a night off tonight now) maybe top half/bottom half/abs. thats 3 days weights, i can do spin one day and have 3 days off per week. sweeeeet!
    For sure rest is paramount.
    And it's the hardest day for me, because I want to get out and do things.

+1.
    adding strength training,eating back a % of exercise calories AND taking rest days are the essential learning blocks of progressive mfpers imo.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    People who schedule days off and still want to train are not training hard enough. If you're training with proper intensity and volume then after a few days you will be begging for a day off and you will have earned it.

Agreed. I take rest days because I lift at a level where I can't physically lift on a rest day, I'm too beat. Those are the days that I rest, eat, live on my couch. Spend time with my wife and get myself in the right frame of mind to kick my *kitten* the next day.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Olympic weightlifters lift every day, I'd be surprised if you're at a higher level than them ;)
  • dbmata
    TJP_ wrote: »
    Olympic weightlifters lift every day, I'd be surprised if you're at a higher level than them ;)

Did I say I was at the ****ing level of a competing oly lifter?

I said, and I'll quote to help you out, then explain in small words.
    CapnAggro wrote:
    I take rest days because I lift at a level where I can't physically lift on a rest day...
    Now, three questions, where did I mention olympic lifters? Powerlifters? Any lifters other than myself?

Now to define what this simple statement means, because I shouldn't have to but I will to aid TJP_.

It means quite specifically that the subject of the sentence, me, is lifting weights. Free weights, otherwise known as moving a load through space without assisting structures. It also explains that I (me, the sole subject of the sentence) am working at a level where I (me, the sole subject of the sentence) cannot physically lift (lifting weights, moving a free unassisted weight through space) on the days that I choose for rest (rest meaning, not lifting).

I hope that aids in your understanding. :)
  • dbmata
    edited October 2014
    TJP_ wrote: »
    LOl, calm down. Time of the month?
    Just too early for that level of derp. That's why I chose to aid in educating you.

Your proper response was thank you.
  • ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP you might want to look into new rules of lifting for woman or strong lifts 5x5 both are great beginner programs..

additionally, you would probably benefit from some kind of upper/lower split type program ..where you hit upper moves on Monday; lower on Tuesday; take Wednesday off or some light cardio/abs; Thursday - upper; Friday lower...

Thanks, I'll look into those programmes.
    Thank u to everyone else for advice too, this forum is awesome :-)