Protein shakes are not for women?

Options

Replies

• jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every single day. Nothing has gone awry for me. :huh:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every single day. Nothing has gone awry for me. :huh:

except you are dying a little on the inside every day cause of them. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after every workout...I have yet to grow a penis. Soooo...you're good.
  • krispit74
    krispit74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i've heard this before. idiots! I start my day with some form of protein. I, too, find it difficult to get the amount of protein I need from my diet so I supplement with shakes. They are also necessary after a workout!! Gotta repair those muscles!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    i've heard this before. idiots! I start my day with some form of protein. I, too, find it difficult to get the amount of protein I need from my diet so I supplement with shakes. They are also necessary after a workout!! Gotta repair those muscles!

They are not necessary after a workout.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I heard if a woman drinks too many protein shakes it causes a downstairs mix-up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just.....

I cannot.

I can't I just can't.

What. the flying.monkey.fks.

punch her in the throat and walk away. There are no cures for stupid.
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If fits into your protein recommendation, and you don't go over, than it is fine!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So after my workout I stopped for a protein shake, and the attendant says "You like these protein shakes huh? Well can I tell you something? Women are not supposed to drink protein shakes." She was trying to convince me not to buy it. She started going on about not supplementing protein, blah blah blah. I think she was trying to say it makes females bulky without saying it that way. Not only was she condescending but creepy all at the same time. Have any of y'all heard this "fact"? Can you maybe explain her rationale?

I would have laughed at her and if she persisted in her rant would have thanked her for my time, put back any other items I might have been thinking to buy while letting her know I was leaving. Then I would have asked to speak to her manager so that I could inform them why I am no longer going to be buying anything from their store and to let them know that their employee is discouraging people from buying their products.
  • krispit74
    krispit74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster.... Protein is an important part of muscle recovery after a workout or lifting. It is definitely necessary for me post workout.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist that while I am losing weight that this would help to hold on to lean muscle.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster.... Protein is an important part of muscle recovery after a workout or lifting. It is definitely necessary for me post workout.

I said protein shakes are not necessary. You can have protein hours after your workout....having a shake or protein right after a workout is Broscience.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3879660/

http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/the-protein-interview-an-interview-with-dr-stuart-phillips/

Do you feel that the evidence still supports the need for post-workout nutrition? If so, what would your recommendations be with respect to protein and carb intake after weight training?

I think it’s pragmatic advice to get some kind of post-workout nutrition rather than none. I think, however, the importance of the immediacy of getting your post-workout protein shake is overblown. The recent study from Brad Schoenfeld shows just how unimportant post-exercise nutrition is in determining muscle gains. So my advice is still to get some post-workout protein, and likely some carbs too, but if you don’t get it for a few hours don’t sweat it. Your body will still make very good use of the protein then and you won’t compromise your gains
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    No. Because we aren't her. It could be she was trying to sell you on something more expensive or she is misinformed.

This. In the beginning of my gurney, I had a chick at GNC try to talk me out of buying protein shakes cause it would make me get swole. :laugh:
    She then tried to sell me a more expensive meal replacement shake called Total Lean for women who wanted to get skinny. Which was an awesome assumption, considering I didn't ask for her opinion, nor did she ask me what my goal was. All I had asked her at the time was "Where da protein shakes at?"

This happened to me! I actually bought it though. Surprisingly it's working well though lol. I guess I go lucky
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Put the man-shakes down and get yourself some nice herbal Tabbouleh crystals to heal your toxins or some *kitten* like that.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is, almost all information on women and protein is BS anyway. There are literally almost no studies on women and protein intake. What we typically have is studies done entirely on men and then extrapolated for women. Except the few studies we DO have on women suggest that this is not going to get us valid results. Women and men actually may process our foods differently.

For example, there was a study showing that extra protein helped build muscle. When, after many years, many female athletes said they hadn't noticed any help, the researcher of the original study finally went back and did the study again, this time with women instead of men.

Turns out, women get no improvement for muscle gain when increasing protein, none at all. (and I have been trying to find my old links for the study, but failing so far, sorry to say.). He did the same thing for one of his other studies, the one that found that carb loading is beneficial before an athletic event. Again, totally different results for women. Women end up having either no effect, or an actual negative effect, from carb loading.

The researcher was surprised enough he outright said that he wouldn't assume ANY of his studies applied to women, based on these two completely sex-dependent results.

So when ANYONE tells you that women need X amount of protein, or can't have X amount of protein - ask them the name of the study that proves it. Because it likely doesn't exist.

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My wife drank a protein shake exactly once. I watched in horror as she transformed before my eyes into an exact copy of Dana Lynn Bailey. She cried for help as she continued to transform into The Hulk. All from one serving of 32 grams of protein. Now I'm married to The Hulk, 0/10 would not buy again.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Someone apparently doesn't want to keep her job.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i dont think she is stupid, she actually believes in what she is saying and thought was trying to help. This goes back to sales people knowing what they are selling, and if they really dont know say sorry i dont know. so many people think protein and dumbells = bulky. I was told a few months back i need low weights and high reps so i tone and dont get bulky.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    lol she knows nothing.
  • Vina4
    Vina4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally have a protein shake for my mid morning snack to help me get enough protein in the day. And, i also have one after I work out. If I dont workout I dont have that second one. But, that is just me.