Thoughts on veganism?

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    Most vegans dont know wtf veganism is. Thats my thoughts.

this makes me assume you associate with many dumb people

Nope, sorry, I dont have any vegan friends.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    clewpage wrote: »
    Wow, lots of talk about snakes...I'm lost.
    Back to the original question.
    If you want to be vegan, for whatever reasons you choose, then go right ahead, your diet does not affect me in my life.
    The problem lies in the "militant vegan" attitude that is so rampant these days. That vegan is the ONLY way to be, and anyone NOT vegan is a horrible wretched person.
    I enjoy meat. I eat steak, I eat chicken, I eat fish.
    I try to buy free-range chicken and organic veggies when I can, but lets be honest, that stuff aint cheap, and last time I checked, I don't have a money tree in my back yard.

I also shoot and eat my own wild animals like deer, turkey, dove, duck, quail.
    Hunting, (it doesnt get any more free range than hunting, killing, and preparing your own meat), and having my own garden (I control the conditions), enables me to eat a healthful and balanced diet without going broke.
    I'm also a firm believer in conservation. In order for the herd to thrive, there has to be sufficient food to support it. By hunting and killing mature animals and keeping the overall population numbers in check, it allows the herd to maintain a steady level of existence.

You, I like.

Yeah, @clewpage has their head on right.
  • dbmata
    PS - I'm having a vegan breakfast today, as long as yeast is ok.

It's interesting, I feel like a tourist, I should take a picture.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    I think it is great if someone is passionate about it, has good reasons to pursue it, and is able to reach their macro/micro nutrient goals while following the lifestyle. I personally have no negative feelings towards it, since it's just another way people can decide to eat.
  • ajravanos
    ajravanos Posts: 40 Member
    ethically, i think it's incredible.
    health wise, consult your doctor.

i was a vegetarian for 6 years & did so without asking my doctor about it. i'd get sick all the time, easily bruised, high fatigue, etc. i was younger, stubborn, lived far away & by myself, & never went to the doctor. many years later, when i came home to visit my mother, she made a doctors appointment for me. turns out i was/am highly anemic & because i didn't eat the way i was supposed to, i ended causing some on-going health problems for myself.
    some people just need meat; regardless of how high in protein some veggies/beans/grains are. i made sure to eat high protein food all the time, but it didn't get the job done for me, apparently.

i still don't eat red meat or pork, & i hate the fact that i do eat chicken & fish, however, since i don't have much choice in the matter, i am very picky about where i buy meat from (because of ethical reasons). just because something says organic & free-range, by no means does that mean that the animals were treated better.

i go to a local farm that raises & treats their animals humanely & allow them to live out a happy life on huge land where they are free to roam around & not be packed so tightly together with a million other animals (& are also free of antibiotics, growth hormones, & medications once they have passed). before buying from this place, my farmer even let me come stay with the family for a weekend & help out on the farm to see how the animals are raised & understand the process of how everything works.

though i wish i was able to not eat meat at all (because i don't eat anything dairy is produced from, i also dont eat dairy, if that means anything), going to a humane farm & getting know my farmer & ensure that nothing unethical happens to the animals does put my mind at ease as much as it can.

also, if this is something that interests anyone, i found my farm through eatwild.com
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    edited October 2014
    clewpage wrote: »
    Wow, lots of talk about snakes...I'm lost.
    Back to the original question.
    If you want to be vegan, for whatever reasons you choose, then go right ahead, your diet does not affect me in my life.
    The problem lies in the "militant vegan" attitude that is so rampant these days. That vegan is the ONLY way to be, and anyone NOT vegan is a horrible wretched person.
    I enjoy meat. I eat steak, I eat chicken, I eat fish.
    I try to buy free-range chicken and organic veggies when I can, but lets be honest, that stuff aint cheap, and last time I checked, I don't have a money tree in my back yard.

I also shoot and eat my own wild animals like deer, turkey, dove, duck, quail.
    Hunting, (it doesnt get any more free range than hunting, killing, and preparing your own meat), and having my own garden (I control the conditions), enables me to eat a healthful and balanced diet without going broke.
    I'm also a firm believer in conservation. In order for the herd to thrive, there has to be sufficient food to support it. By hunting and killing mature animals and keeping the overall population numbers in check, it allows the herd to maintain a steady level of existence.

We could be friends B) I agree with everything said in her post.

Not directed at @clewpage but I wanted everyone to know, chickens are OMNIVORES. I know this because when I was a kid my mom would throw snakes from the garden into the chicken coop and the chickens would eat that snake up like it was dessert. Also, if you have actually raised chickens, you would know they will eat on each other in a heart beat. They pick at the weakest chicken till they are dead and then they will eat some more. So, not only are they omnivores, but they can also be cannibalistic.
  • dbmata
    Neighbor has six chickens, they're like little dinosaur idiots.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited October 2014
    It's always an interesting argument to say the least...

As I mentioned on the honey thread the other day, the ethical implications of not exploiting animals for food is one thing, but what about all of the modern conveniences (health care, automobiles, etc.) that also exploited animals during their nascent years? Do you plan on giving those up, too?

And even factory farming of fruits, vegetables, and grains is not exploitation-free. The itinerant farm workers are some of the lowest paid workers in the US and many of them are here illegally. Unless you are growing everything yourself you are still benefiting at the exploitation of other sentient beings. (And don't forget, even if you are growing it yourself, you'd have nothing without those bees busily pollinating everything...)

Not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely curious on how you compartmentalize this--this is where it always fell apart for me.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Cognitive dissonance is awesome! Do it! - sarcasm. (Not healthier and not more "ethical" and it's easy to figure out why with just a bit of research and logical thought. But what other adults decide to do doesn't really affect me much so whatever.)
  • dbmata
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely curious on how you compartmentalize this--this is where it always fell apart for me.
    also as I have mentioned is the idea of the animals that have been crushed and shredded to death in combines and other harvesting equipment in the process of getting those ethicools plants to market.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    I have several hardcore ethical vegans in my family.... it seems quite strenuous to me. While I respect much of what they believe, I am not able to incorporate it fully into my life-style. Over the years, I have found that what works best for me is to eat primarily a plant-based diet and eliminate red meat for the most part (which admittedly is more of a taste-bud thing with me). But I can't give up eggs, butter, cheese... and while I try to get as much protein from plant sources as I can, it just gets to be too much sometimes. I mean, it's really hard to beat a can of tuna and a bunch of cottage cheese for a major protein hit...and not having eggs for breakfast would be particularly problematic...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I will say that I found a plethora of studies comparing different diets, and veganism consistently comes out on top with positive health outcomes when compared to things like Mediterranean, Paleo, low-fat, etc. If you go to Google Scholar, you'll find tons of studies.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    I am just going to go outright and say this, but I don't have all that much respect for the "vegan belief system" whatsoever. If you are vegan, great. Don't tell me about it. I don't care. I don't want to know. I likely wont even notice if we happen to be eating together and you don't happen to say. I don't pay attention to what anyone else eats, or orders off a menu.

But as soon as that conversation comes up - I immediately lose respect for the person. Why? Because I have never had this conversation with anyone where it *didn't* turn into a holier-than-thou conversation.

Veganism is a religion. It is no different than someone getting their belief system out of an old book.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    It's not healthier. It's not elevated morality. It doesn't make any sense to me. I have no use for it. Plain and simple.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    I tried Veganism and I found it too hard to give up eggs and the cheese. I switched back to vegetarian. I HATED the fake cheese. I didn't mind the fake meat though, some are quite tasty but full of sugar.

Now that I am on the Dr. Oz diet, I had to give up the cheese, AGAIN. At least, I still have the eggs. I get them from my farmer friend. It's a small operation, mostly different heritage chickens.
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    Regardless of why a person becomes a vegan, the end result is the same. If anyone is interested in research, this site is a great place to start:

http://www.vegankit.com/

This site has tons of information including but not limited to recipes and cat videos:

http://onegreenplanet.org/

Peace, love, and happiness to all living things.
  • thelazydandelion
    thelazydandelion Posts: 58 Member
    I personally think that the non vegans are more hostile in this thread and people are needlessly getting on their high horses.

So it's ok for there to be threads asking opinions about all sorts of things but veganism is a no no? I put it out there that I don't eat meat etc because I am in the minority so I'm seeking out others who share the same thoughts.

I also think calling it a religion is ridiculous and can't stand the it's not healthy argument. There is something unhealthy in every diet it's just that it's harder to be a vegan, you have to be really dedicated.

• Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    I try to respect other people's dietary choices, no matter their reason. Being vegan is very difficult in Western society as we are one of the biggest meat and animal product eaters. If you want to take that on and do something different, more power to you. Humans are great at adapting to wide variety of diets and there is no reason to think you can't survive without meat and dairy and eggs. Many people around the world do; even as a matter of culture and religious tradition that has been around a long time.

I admire people that take control of their lives, including choosing how they want to eat based on their principles. For that reason, I equally respect meat-eaters who maintain their own set of principles. Folks that go out and hunt and fish for their own food, I think, are more in touch with how they eat than those that go and eat a hamburger at Burger King because it's convenient and have no idea where that food came from or how it's made. You can't make good decisions by being ignorant of where your food comes from. Even if people come to opposite conclusions about food, as long as it's well informed and well thought out, it deserves respect.

I am disconcerted with the food industry exploiting veganism. Go to the "health food" section of the grocery store and you know what I'm talking about. That sort of advertising really perverts the concept of a conscious and principled diet.

I recently bought the Thug Kitchen cookbook which is all vegan recipes, even though I'm not vegan. Their argument for veganism is "Well *kitten*, aren't there enough people eating meat and *kitten*?" Can't really argue with that.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    I also think calling it a religion is ridiculous and can't stand the it's not healthy argument. There is something unhealthy in every diet it's just that it's harder to be a vegan, you have to be really dedicated.

How is it different from a religion? It has a set of rules that are defined by an arbitrary line in the sand as to what is considered "ethical". Every adherent seems to draw that line in a slightly different place based on whats convenient for the adherent. Saying it's harder to stick to than other "diets" is like saying your preferred religion is harder to stick to because it has more behavioral restrictions than that other religion.

In fact, I would say all diets are "religions" because they tend not to have any basis in reality, only in belief.

*by "diet" I mean the ones that say you cant eat X food for Y reason, not the "prevailing set of foods a particular culture eats"
  • adjadj83
    adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
    I don't want to put a label on how I eat. However, I will describe it as plant-based. I found that my weight, mood and mental clarity are better when I eat predominately raw-plant foods. There is no need to argue with each other. We are here to share our experiences and be supportive. I am enjoying fantastic meals because a gourmet raw food chef is staying with us. Whether vegan, vegetarian or other, tracking macro-nutrient content on MFP is helpful to make sure you are getting balanced nutrition.