Only 2 days in and...

Options
All I want to do is eat an enormous bag of M&M's. I'm craving sweets terribly. Chocolate in particular. I figured the cravings would drop off once my baby was born. But I guess not. At least I feel better able to control the cravings. If I do well in the next 5 days, I'm totally going to have a small bag of m&m's. It was so hard not to buy bulk halloween candy to snarf down.

Replies

• Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hmmm says the lady with M&M's appearing almost daily on her diary. I believe in treats, I believe in M&M Mars!! I often get the "fun size" (fun size my lower left cheek) because I most often can not be trusted with the 14 oz. Treat yourself to a fun size bag, enjoy it, savor it, and put the others out of the way (someplace you must work to get to) for when you need a treat or completed your pt! Oh... and stock up on those Nov. 1st and after every holiday so you don't run short!. Have fun!a
    46110322.png
  • HazelBug1987
    HazelBug1987 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wenchiness wrote: »
    Hmmm says the lady with M&M's appearing almost daily on her diary. I believe in treats, I believe in M&M Mars!! I often get the "fun size" (fun size my lower left cheek) because I most often can not be trusted with the 14 oz. Treat yourself to a fun size bag, enjoy it, savor it, and put the others out of the way (someplace you must work to get to) for when you need a treat or completed your pt! Oh... and stock up on those Nov. 1st and after every holiday so you don't run short!. Have fun!a
    46110322.png
    46110322.png
    46110322.png

I would. But my coffee is already a treat. And I can't be trusted with a bag of candy. It is gone in litterally 2 days. I don't buy candy most of the time because I have no self control. I have to assert self control while I shop.
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you absolutely must have M&Ms, think about how many calories it is, and how much you have to do to burn it off. Think about what other things you could eat instead of M&Ms that would not only fill you up, but be beneficial in ways that M&Ms simply cannot. If you do not have self control, take someone with you to go grocery shopping - someone who will hold you accountable for the crap you're buying.

And unless you're drinking mostly chocolate syrup with your coffee, coffee is not exactly what most people would describe as a treat. It's like a requirement for me.
  • HazelBug1987
    Options
    46110322.png

I would. But my coffee is already a treat. And I can't be trusted with a bag of candy. It is gone in litterally 2 days. I don't buy candy most of the time because I have no self control. I have to assert self control while I shop.

you don't have to cut out anything...coffee isn't a "treat"...it's a beverage people drink in the morning. You need to learn self-control AND everything in moderation.

What works for some doesn't work for others. It doesn't work for me to have sweets in the house. And my coffee really does seem more like a treat to me. I don't drink it black. I drink it with a super sweet creamer. I would love to be able to have sweets in the house and be ok. But I've never been able to stop myself from consuming sweets to the last piece. So I just avoid buying more than what is ok for me to eat that day.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is definitely my down-fall. I buy a bag of Dove Dark Chocolates. I hide them in the back of the cabinet at home and then allow myself only 2 of them a day (yes, every day). I pull exactly 2 out, put them in my lunch box for the next day, and that's it. The dark chocolate is really satisfying and if I can discipline myself to eat them slowly, they take care of the chocolate craving. I have to keep them hidden so I'm not tempted to eat them at night. I can't take the bag to work or I will eat them all......but, if there are only 2 in my lunch, I can only eat two. :smile:
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    idk how many calories you have left but a tbs of semi sweet chocolate chip is 70 cal. sometimes i make a whole wheat crepe super thin which is like 60-70 cal and i put a tbs of chocolate chips with some strawberries 70+70+10 = 150 even if your guess is wrong under 200 not bad. or have just the chips and strawberry yum just as good ad anything else if not better.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    A single really amazing gourmet chocolate truffle has about 79 calories. Really no kidding, buy one then eat it with your full, and I mean your FULL attention. Close your eyes and really EXPERIENCE the taste over your tongue and take the time to savor it.

You'll be satisfied at one, and it'll be a nice experience.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    TBH sometimes moderation doesn't work and that's ok. I like chips. If there are chips in the house unless they are in personal size bags, I will eat the entire bag and not think about it, which means I don't log it. But like @Wenchiness suggested, keep fun sized around. It's a lot easier to say, hey I'm eating 1x bag at 150 calories then to force myself to weigh out a serving of chips. For some reason, I am ok doing individual bags, but I have a mental block when it comes to moderation on a regular bag. Maybe give it a try and see if that works for you. Even if you go over, just log it, and if that truly doesn't work, then I would agree with not keeping them in your house, because it's a heck of a lot more effort to go to the store when that craving hits.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I worked a Chocolate Drumbstick into my daily count for today.

To be honest, you can work in anything you want.

Sure, maybe it's better for you to eat veggies and fruits and whatnot instead, but you know what? If you deprive yourself of what you want, you won't be happy and you won't survive this process. You do need to eat what you want, too.

It's about a lifestyle change. If you want the coffee with sweetener and the M&Ms, work them into your daily goal. You can do it.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    To be honest, you can work in anything you want.

It's about a lifestyle change. If you want the coffee with sweetener and the M&Ms, work them into your daily goal. You can do it.
    I agree with this 100%. There is no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' food, as many people tell themselves when they start a diet change. Just work out the calories and make sure you have room for them. It's really not a big deal.

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It gets easier over time and the cravings subside. I know that for some people, having the fun sized candy around works but not for me. That only slows me down a little. I can still eat 10 fun sized bags of candy. So, unless you can exercise moderation, maybe you just need a little break from it. Then later on you can try the moderation thing. Worked for me :)
  • check1972
    check1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Portions... portions... portions...

Log EVERYTHING. You may begin to see that you have room for "treats" more often than you think. Also, don't try to be perfect, just try to stay consistent in keeping track. You can do this, but it will take work.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing really well. You recognized you are craving something specific, and you found a time and place to allow it in your food plan.
    I think it is not always harmful to not give in to every single whim when you start a new food plan. Yes, allow for sweets but make them a special treat.
    We didn't use to get sweets when we were kids, and it didn't kill us.
    It is a small exercise in willpower, and it will come in handy when office birthday cakes and similar temptations come around.
  • HazelBug1987
    Options
    IvyLuci wrote: »
    I think you are doing really well. You recognized you are craving something specific, and you found a time and place to allow it in your food plan.
    I think it is not always harmful to not give in to every single whim when you start a new food plan. Yes, allow for sweets but make them a special treat.
    It is a small exercise in willpower, and it will come in handy when office birthday cakes and similar temptations come around.

Part of me is irritated that I'm craving sweets. I grew up having way too much junk food. And although I was never heavy, I wasn't healthy. I have tried many times to only have 1 treat. But it just doesn't happen. Normally I am not very heavy either. (I just pack on the pregnancy pounds) So I could eat bags of candy and still be trim. But it's not so healthy. When I go grocery shopping (every 7 to 10 days usually, I need my fresh produce) I usually buy myself a candy and a soda. But if I buy a case of soda or a bag of candy I just eat em all up at once.

I guess I'm wondering why I'm craving sugary foods so bad right now. Most of the time I don't miss the treats when they aren't in my home.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    All I want to do is eat an enormous bag of M&M's. I'm craving sweets terribly. Chocolate in particular. I figured the cravings would drop off once my baby was born. But I guess not. At least I feel better able to control the cravings. If I do well in the next 5 days, I'm totally going to have a small bag of m&m's. It was so hard not to buy bulk halloween candy to snarf down.

Stop thinking about chocolate. Do something else...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Work some chocolate into your daily allotment. It really helps to pre-log your day.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sunitagt wrote: »
    ...If there are chips in the house unless they are in personal size bags, I will eat the entire bag and not think about it, which means I don't log it....

I don't quite follow this. I get the part about knowing the limits to your self control. But if you eat the whole bag, why not log the whole bag? The log is a tool. It's not going to judge you; it's inanimate. And only an accurate log will help you figure out the relationship between what you eat, your health, and your weight.

When I have a blowout day, I log it, and then make it up, 100 or so calories a day, over the next several days. If I hadn't logged it, I wouldn't be able to do that.

If your log is open and you don't log accurately because you are worried about what your MFP friends will say, the best thing to do is to make your log private.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

Part of me is irritated that I'm craving sweets. I grew up having way too much junk food. And although I was never heavy, I wasn't healthy. I have tried many times to only have 1 treat. But it just doesn't happen. Normally I am not very heavy either. (I just pack on the pregnancy pounds) So I could eat bags of candy and still be trim. But it's not so healthy. When I go grocery shopping (every 7 to 10 days usually, I need my fresh produce) I usually buy myself a candy and a soda. But if I buy a case of soda or a bag of candy I just eat em all up at once.

I guess I'm wondering why I'm craving sugary foods so bad right now. Most of the time I don't miss the treats when they aren't in my home.

Do you think you are craving them out of habit? Or are you truly wanting a sweet treat? Does fruit of any kind help? Sorry, I personally don't have a sweet tooth so sweets aren't a problem for me, but I've learned over the years that a lot of times when I was craving something it was more out of habit rather than really fulfilling a need.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I find that I want sugary things when I'm tired, that's my body just wanting carbs. I also want them when I'm upset, that's a learned emotional response i'm doing my best to retrain. However, if I happen to go over my carbs for several days by a significant amount, I start being really hungry and wanting sweets without apparent reason. Since I have insulin resistancy, my interpretation (although it is possible that I'm wrong) is that it's all the extra sugar running around my body. All this to ask if you have seen a doctor,checked your sugar/cholesterol/general stuff
  • fitpal661
    fitpal661 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have found sugar to be addictive. Once I start, I want more. Tough to control limit. I try to think of something a little more healthy such as celery w/ peanut butter (1 Tbl). I taste sugar in the peanut butter. A distraction of hot tea worked a few times.