Yes. I'm going to ask a question about skipping breakfast.

Options
So ever since I was little, I've had trouble eating breakfast. When I do eat breakfast, I'm basically forcing myself to eat it. I know it sounds weird, but any other time of the day, I can eat a bowl of breakfast cereal or a piece of toast. I know skipping breakfast is so bad, so does anyone have any advice? Something new I could try? Things that are quick and easy would be great. Thanks guys :)

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Bacon and egg sandwich. 5 minutes. Boom....
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I mix in mine 1-tsp chia seeds, 1-tsp ground flax seed & 1/2 tbsp. of sliced raw almonds. Add a piece of fruit and you are good to go.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Why force yourself to eat if you don't feel hungry? Eat when you feel hungry. As long as you are eating enough throughout the day that is all that matters. I often don't feel hungry until 11am so eat then.
    The whole breakfast starts your metabolism thing is a myth. In fact it makes me hungrier and want to eat more before lunch.
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im not keen on cereal or 'sweet' breakfasts, much prefer something like toast and peanut butter, or cheese or marmite ;) However, I've found an instant oatmeal I like and have taken it to work for the days I don't have time before I leave home. Im one of those that cant do without my breakfast!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    A lot of people can't eat breakfast. I have to wait at least an hour after waking up to eat because I am too nauseated when I first wake up. My mom and my sister have never eaten breakfast because they are too nauseated when they wake up as well. When we were kids we never ate before school because of how nauseated we were. I can't even handle the smell of food or coffee when I first wake up. Wait to eat until you get hungry for food...you'll feel better that way!
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry. I regularly don't have breakfast, I just drink tea. I usually have a snack at 10 and then lunch / afternoon snack / dinner / late snacks so I pretty much eat every couple of hours the rest of the day. I wouldn't force yourself to have breakfast if you really don't want it.
  • RosieLoo24
    RosieLoo24 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been drinking those up and go's. What do you guys think about those? I think the fact that they are flavoured means they probably aren't the best choice, but I figured something is better than nothing
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Naa. I reckon bacon and egg sandwich is much more enjoyable.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    RosieLoo24 wrote: »
    Lately I've been drinking those up and go's. What do you guys think about those? I think the fact that they are flavoured means they probably aren't the best choice, but I figured something is better than nothing

Eat what you want or eat nothing at all. Flavor toxins won't kill you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    There is NOTHING wrong with skipping breakfast. Meal timing doesn't matter. Just eat when you're hungry.
  • RosieLoo24
    RosieLoo24 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised people are saying there is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. I've always heard it is the worst thing you can do. Kick starting your metabolism and all that
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong with skipping breakfast. Meal timing doesn't matter. Just eat when you're hungry.

I wouldnt listen to this. This is very dismissive of what many doctors will tell you is the most important meal of the day.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency is nothing but personal preference and what you can adhere to for your overall goals in hitting your Macros and Calories for each particular day... Whether you eat them all at once or over several meals throughout the day is totally your choice.... Best of Luck
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

I wouldnt listen to this. This is very dismissive of what many doctors will tell you is the most important meal of the day.

I wouldn't listen to this. Meal timing plays no role in weight loss.
    You can break your fast at any time, be it 6 am or 6 pm or anytime between.
    It is "the most important meal of the day" was started by the cereal companies.

Also your metabolism will not be boosted or kick started. it's always running.

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. On mornings, I have coffee and that is sufficient for me.

The only time I eat bfast is when I'm on vacation and most of my day is spent walking around / shopping / exploring. We get a good meal in as we eat later in the evening.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. You don't need to kickstart your metabolism. Many people feel that eating breakfast helps them eat less throughout the day because they aren't hungry, and that's why it's recommended for those who don't count calories. But if you don't have that problem and you are counting, there's no reason to worry about it.

This thread has good info about meal timing, including links to peer-reviewed studies.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820577
  • KrazyKenny1967
    Options
    If I overeat the day before I'm not hungry for breakfast the next day so I skip it, I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

And how does ones body tell time?? Each day you have a 24 hour window to consume a certain preset amount of calories as well as hitting macros and micros. Your body does not know the difference, if you are a 2nd shift worker and do not get up before 10 in the morning to eat your first meal or a 3rd shift worker that may not eat until mid afternoon. The most important part is getting the nutrition into your system to sustain your energy output for what ever your goals are (weight loss, weight gain, maintaining). When you do that, is less important than how you do it...
  • eldamiano
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

I wouldn't listen to this. Meal timing plays no role in weight loss.
    You can break your fast at any time, be it 6 am or 6 pm or anytime between.
    It is "the most important meal of the day" was started by the cereal companies.

Also your metabolism will not be boosted or kick started. it's always running.

Appreciated that only calorie deficit = weight loss (metabolism is one of the most, but to dismiss breakfast comprehensively is just not recommended. A simple and typical breakfast can fill you up for a few hours for the cost of around 200-300 calories. Snacks or larger meals designed to combat hunger often just take up more.
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's really just your personal preference. I can't stand breakfast either and I have tried to force myself to eat breakfast but it was just impossible! From how I see it, skipping breakfast reduces your eating window and you have more calories to splurge on lunch, dinner and snacks! So it's a win-win :D
    And Up&Go's are good in the sense they have some vital minerals and vitamins in them and a good amount of protein but my only con would be that they're high in sugar, whether that fits into your diet or not is up to you! Good luck! :)