Yes. I'm going to ask a question about skipping breakfast.

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that just because a lot of people say something, that doesn't mean it's true. The necessity of breakfast is a pervasive myth, but it's a myth nonetheless.

And this is coming from someone who loves breakfast and wouldn't give it up for anything.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast every morning helps me not eat too much at lunch (I'm a Thomas Everything Bagel Thin person...). But, my husband really can't eat breakfast, and I would never try to force him to. Find out when *your* regular meals are and figure out an eating plan that works for your body's schedule. Good luck! :)
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    what about having a piece of fruit or cheese or something small? that way, your breaking the fast of the night, but you aren't eating a whole meal.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Forcing yourself to eat a meal perhaps is more unhealthy. Anyone who tries to tell you that there is scientific proof is exaggerating andsimply promoting dogma. Don't buy into other people's beliefs. Listen to your own body. It truly is about the overall calories.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is overrated. I say this as a totally enthusiastic breakfast eater, mind, but still.

I do not eat breakfast first thing when I get up, myself. I get up, go to the gym, do my workout, shower and get dressed, THEN come home and eat breakfast. So, it's a good two hours of being up before I'm getting a meal. I'm a swimmer, so HECK YEAH, I'm hungry after my swim, so I eat.

I think eating when one is not hungry is a worse habit than skipping breakfast. The breakfast studies we see are mostly involving children on strict meal schedules. If they don't eat before they go to school, they don't eat until noon or so, and many of them aren't having mid-morning snacks when they DO get hungry, either. It has little to do with a grown-up in charge of when she CAN eat.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong with skipping breakfast. Meal timing doesn't matter. Just eat when you're hungry.
    QFT! The whole kickstarting metabolism stuff is baloney.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Breakfast really is important if for any other reason than to give your body fuel to start the day. Wait an hour or so after you get up to try and eat, that may help. I was up at 3:40 this morning and off to the gym but I typically don't eat breakfast until about 8am. By that time I'm literally starving :) You don't have to eat a ton at breakfast, you can keep it small. I have oatmeal pretty much every morning but that is me, I'm a creature of habit and it works well for me! Try some fruit or maybe some yogurt and almonds. If you Google quick easy light breakfasts I bet you come up with a ton of options.
    You already have fuel to start the day........stored bodyfat

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat when I get up (6:10am M-F). In fact, I don't eat until at least 11 and usually more like after 12. Despite this, I have lost nearly 90lbs.

For me, the earlier I eat, the hungrier I seem to be for the rest of the day. Maybe it's in my head, but when I eat at what most people consider nirmal breakfast time, I am ravenous within a couple hours.

Simply put: do what works for you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Breakfast really is important if for any other reason than to give your body fuel to start the day.

Myth...

• J72FIT
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Breakfast really is important if for any other reason than to give your body fuel to start the day. Wait an hour or so after you get up to try and eat, that may help. I was up at 3:40 this morning and off to the gym but I typically don't eat breakfast until about 8am. By that time I'm literally starving :) You don't have to eat a ton at breakfast, you can keep it small. I have oatmeal pretty much every morning but that is me, I'm a creature of habit and it works well for me! Try some fruit or maybe some yogurt and almonds. If you Google quick easy light breakfasts I bet you come up with a ton of options.
    So in your case, it's no different than someone getting up at 7-8 am and waiting until noon to eat breakfast which most people would consider as skipping breakfast.

Exactly...

• J72FIT
    Options
    RosieLoo24 wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are saying there is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. I've always heard it is the worst thing you can do. Kick starting your metabolism and all that

There is no such thing as "kickstarting" one's metabolism...
  • lschaal1
    Options
    Why force yourself to eat if you don't feel hungry? Eat when you feel hungry. As long as you are eating enough throughout the day that is all that matters. I often don't feel hungry until 11am so eat then.
    The whole breakfast starts your metabolism thing is a myth. In fact it makes me hungrier and want to eat more before lunch.

It makes you hungrier because it does actually start your metabolism...meaning what you eat is burned off, leaving you hungry for a mid morning snack (also known as small meal #2, if you eat 6 times per day, which is also a way to boost metabolism.) that said, I don't think anyone should force themselves to eat, I agree to just eat when you're hungry.

• LMYERS94
    LMYERS94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's beneficial to eat breakfast for sure because it's what kicks starts your metabolism after a long night slowing down due to not eating. I would recommend trying to find something healthy that you actually enjoy eating, and it doesn't necessarily have to be labeled as a 'breakfast' food. Or sometimes a nice smoothie or nutritious drink would be easier to sip at shortly after you wake up. But it good to get something in your system within the first hour of being awake.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    DO what works for you. If you don't like eating breakfast, don't eat it. I am up at 5AM every weekday, but I don't eat breakfast until 9AM. Why? Because I don't like eating right after waking up, I don't have time between getting up and getting to work, and I'm just not hungry at that time. Some people have actually found that forcing themselves to eat breakfast makes them hungry the rest of the day. If a typical breakfast doesn't work, don't do it. No matter when you eat, your first meal is technically "breaking the fast."
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    LMYERS94 wrote: »
    It's beneficial to eat breakfast for sure because it's what kicks starts your metabolism after a long night slowing down due to not eating. I would recommend trying to find something healthy that you actually enjoy eating, and it doesn't necessarily have to be labeled as a 'breakfast' food. Or sometimes a nice smoothie or nutritious drink would be easier to sip at shortly after you wake up. But it good to get something in your system within the first hour of being awake.

Not necessary, you aren't kick starting your metabolism as been said multiple times in this thread already.

OP do what works for you and your lifestyle. For me I wake up around 3am my first meal is around 1pm followed a couple hours later by a big dinner. Will that work for everyone no, but it fits perfectly into my lifestyle and what I can adhere to.

If I ate earlier I would want to go curl back into bed and take a nap. Doesn't work for me

• J72FIT
    Options
    It's beneficial to eat breakfast for sure because it's what kicks starts your metabolism after a long night slowing down due to not eating.

Myth. There is no such thing as "kickstarting" the metabolism...

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast. It does not "kick start" your metabolism. You're metabolism never stops, if it does, you're dead.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    But it good to get something in your system within the first hour of being awake.

That is a personal preference, not a blanket suggestion for all...

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Where's Steve98? It's right up his alley. Maybe he's busy or something...you know since he teaches at a medical school.