Only 2 days in and...

Options
2»

Replies

• IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    IvyLuci wrote: »
    I think you are doing really well. You recognized you are craving something specific, and you found a time and place to allow it in your food plan.
    I think it is not always harmful to not give in to every single whim when you start a new food plan. Yes, allow for sweets but make them a special treat.
    We didn't use to get sweets when we were kids, and it didn't kill us.
    It is a small exercise in willpower, and it will come in handy when office birthday cakes and similar temptations come around.

Part of me is irritated that I'm craving sweets. I grew up having way too much junk food. And although I was never heavy, I wasn't healthy. I have tried many times to only have 1 treat. But it just doesn't happen. Normally I am not very heavy either. (I just pack on the pregnancy pounds) So I could eat bags of candy and still be trim. But it's not so healthy. When I go grocery shopping (every 7 to 10 days usually, I need my fresh produce) I usually buy myself a candy and a soda. But if I buy a case of soda or a bag of candy I just eat em all up at once.

I guess I'm wondering why I'm craving sugary foods so bad right now. Most of the time I don't miss the treats when they aren't in my home.

I find that I want sugary things when I'm tired, that's my body just wanting carbs. I also want them when I'm upset, that's a learned emotional response i'm doing my best to retrain. However, if I happen to go over my carbs for several days by a significant amount, I start being really hungry and wanting sweets without apparent reason. Since I have insulin resistancy, my interpretation (although it is possible that I'm wrong) is that it's all the extra sugar running around my body. All this to ask if you have seen a doctor,checked your sugar/cholesterol/general stuff
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    totally fine.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing really well. You recognized you are craving something specific, and you found a time and place to allow it in your food plan.
    I think it is not always harmful to not give in to every single whim when you start a new food plan. Yes, allow for sweets but make them a special treat.
    It is a small exercise in willpower, and it will come in handy when office birthday cakes and similar temptations come around.

Part of me is irritated that I'm craving sweets. I grew up having way too much junk food. And although I was never heavy, I wasn't healthy. I have tried many times to only have 1 treat. But it just doesn't happen. Normally I am not very heavy either. (I just pack on the pregnancy pounds) So I could eat bags of candy and still be trim. But it's not so healthy. When I go grocery shopping (every 7 to 10 days usually, I need my fresh produce) I usually buy myself a candy and a soda. But if I buy a case of soda or a bag of candy I just eat em all up at once.

I guess I'm wondering why I'm craving sugary foods so bad right now. Most of the time I don't miss the treats when they aren't in my home.

Try upping your fat intake slightly while you adjust to eating fewer sweets. Works like a charm for me.

• Maddallynn
    Maddallynn Posts: 7
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have wanted some candy corn so bad lately, SO bad.
    It's fine to indulge, just in moderation. You can buy that bulk Halloween bag and limit yourself to a tiny fun-sized bag, try and make rules if you have a hard time limiting yourself, like only on your cheat day, or only when you burn over so many calories in that day, rules help me keep in control of myself, so maybe they'd help you?
    Also, I don't know if you're breast-feeding, but when I was I had intense cravings after both my kids were born, after I stopped breast-feeding, the cravings pretty much vanished, and weren't as intense when they did arise.
  • RockAShelley
    RockAShelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks are always the hardest. If you can get past them though you'll do just fine!
  • HazelBug1987
    HazelBug1987 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I find that I want sugary things when I'm tired, that's my body just wanting carbs. I also want them when I'm upset, that's a learned emotional response i'm doing my best to retrain. However, if I happen to go over my carbs for several days by a significant amount, I start being really hungry and wanting sweets without apparent reason. Since I have insulin resistancy, my interpretation (although it is possible that I'm wrong) is that it's all the extra sugar running around my body. All this to ask if you have seen a doctor,checked your sugar/cholesterol/general stuff
    I have been tired a lot. I've got a new little baby and a toddler. So that's probably it. I've never had insulin resistance, but I deal with hypoglycemia. But a high protien diet usually takes care of that.
  • HazelBug1987
    HazelBug1987 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    yo_andi wrote: »

Try upping your fat intake slightly while you adjust to eating fewer sweets. Works like a charm for me.

I'll try that. Usually I don't eat a diet very high in fats. But that's not on purpose. I simply don't like a lot of fatty foods. My skin has been kind of dry though so maybe some fats will help with that too.