5 Weight Loss Tips to Get You Started :)

Options
1. Drink water and only water (At least at first, once you're used to water you can add in other liquids in moderation. But I prefer not to waste calories on liquids and would rather spend them on food)! First thing in the morning, have a tall glass of water. Drink water while you eat. Carry a water bottle with you at all times. Drink water before bed. Drink water at work, drink water between any activity you do. Once you're used to it, you won't even want soda anymore.
2. Sit down at the table and eat your meal. Don't watch tv, just focus on your food. Chew your food, enjoy it, don't rush. The slower you eat, the more likely you are to become full and you'll be less likely to overindulge.
3. Use smaller plates! Think of six strawberries on a large plate. It looks like MUCH less food than six strawberries on a small plate or saucer. I like using saucers to eat because when you portion out your food, it looks like you have much more than when your food is on a larger plate. Less empty spaces give the illusion of having a full plate of food.
4. Substitution. Although having a cookie in moderation is perfectly okay, if you're used to having cookies every day and lots of them you might want to think about substituting for something healthier. I found this nice little healthy cookie recipe on YouTube, and there's plenty of other recipes on YouTube and anywhere online too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99sCJRUXQX8
Any unhealthy food you can think of, there is probably a healthy substitution. If you like fruit snacks or fruit juice (fine in moderation, I can't stress this moderation thing enough. DO NOT over-restrict yourself! You can eat anything you want, just don't overdo it on a daily basis!), try substituting these things for the actual fruit. Apparently eating a regular sized orange is just as filling as eating a steak!
5. Think before you eat. Do you REALLY want that piece of cake? If you do, then go ahead and have it. But think about if you REALLY want it, or if you just want it because it's right there in front of you and you have easy access to it. I've avoided a lot of things I knew I didn't REALLY want by just reevaluating whether it's worth it or not. Chances are, passing on it won't be that big of a problem :) You'll forget about it in a few minutes anyways.

One more thing, never feel guilty if you do decide to have that piece of cake or that cookie. Everything is okay in moderation and having little cheat meals here and there is perfectly fine. They help you stay on track and keep you motivated :) Some things are good for the body, and other things are good for the soul. Keep that in mind.
I hope this helps some of you get started! They sure helped me, and I'm 17 pounds down now :)

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I like cake
  • anchetaaa
    Options
    I like cake
    cake is pretty delicious
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I want to know how to get to the place where cake just appears in front of you. Is it on google maps?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I want to know how to get to the place where cake just appears in front of you. Is it on google maps?

When you find that place will you leave me a trail of cake crumbs to follow so I can get there too?

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I've ever had a moment when I didn't REALLY want cake. Maybe that's my problem...
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • anchetaaa
    Options

Cake actually appears in my break room at work quite often...
  • anchetaaa
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've ever had a moment when I didn't REALLY want cake. Maybe that's my problem...

LOL trueeee
  • anchetaaa
    Options
    mjterp wrote: »
    thank you!
    You're welcome, good luck :)

• anchetaaa
    Options
    anchetaaa wrote: »
    1. Drink water and only water (At least at first, once you're used to water you can add in other liquids in moderation. But I prefer not to waste calories on liquids and would rather spend them on food)! First thing in the morning, have a tall glass of water. Drink water while you eat. Carry a water bottle with you at all times. Drink water before bed. Drink water at work, drink water between any activity you do. Once you're used to it, you won't even want soda anymore.
    2. Sit down at the table and eat your meal. Don't watch tv, just focus on your food. Chew your food, enjoy it, don't rush. The slower you eat, the more likely you are to become full and you'll be less likely to overindulge.
    3. Use smaller plates! Think of six strawberries on a large plate. It looks like MUCH less food than six strawberries on a small plate or saucer. I like using saucers to eat because when you portion out your food, it looks like you have much more than when your food is on a larger plate. Less empty spaces give the illusion of having a full plate of food.
    4. Substitution. Although having a cookie in moderation is perfectly okay, if you're used to having cookies every day and lots of them you might want to think about substituting for something healthier. I found this nice little healthy cookie recipe on YouTube, and there's plenty of other recipes on YouTube and anywhere online too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99sCJRUXQX8
    Any unhealthy food you can think of, there is probably a healthy substitution. If you like fruit snacks or fruit juice (fine in moderation, I can't stress this moderation thing enough. DO NOT over-restrict yourself! You can eat anything you want, just don't overdo it on a daily basis!), try substituting these things for the actual fruit. Apparently eating a regular sized orange is just as filling as eating a steak!
    5. Think before you eat. Do you REALLY want that piece of cake? If you do, then go ahead and have it. But think about if you REALLY want it, or if you just want it because it's right there in front of you and you have easy access to it. I've avoided a lot of things I knew I didn't REALLY want by just reevaluating whether it's worth it or not. Chances are, passing on it won't be that big of a problem :) You'll forget about it in a few minutes anyways.

One more thing, never feel guilty if you do decide to have that piece of cake or that cookie. Everything is okay in moderation and having little cheat meals here and there is perfectly fine. They help you stay on track and keep you motivated :) Some things are good for the body, and other things are good for the soul. Keep that in mind.
    I hope this helps some of you get started! They sure helped me, and I'm 17 pounds down now :)

The bolded part...NO...I'll keep drinking my coffee with cream and sugar every morning...and if I feel like have a soda or sweet tea during the day, I will and I'll log it and make it fit into my schedule of calories...

okay sorry :( I didn't mean to offend anyone. Just trying to help those who don't know where to start...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like cake

Can it be cheesecake??? and the chocolate kind please.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I like cake

Can it be cheesecake??? and the chocolate kind please.

Any kind of chocolate cake works for me - but if it's gonna be cheesecake of the chocolate kind you are gonna have to make sure there is enough to go round - after a day of water only and eating strawberries off a saucer I'd probably kill you for the last piece :)
  • delia_tee
    delia_tee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I managed to lose 10 kilos/22 pounds after many many failed attempts. This time I did it right and I can confirm these are actually the tips I used myself. That and a hypnosis mp3 to help me overcome my sweets addiction. Nope, not spam. Just what did the trick for me so I could lay off the wonderful delicious irresistible cake :D Helped me not touch sugar for 3 months. Now the effect is worn off, but meanwhile I have found my self control.
  • nsides0427
    nsides0427 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Any kind of chocolate cake works for me - but if it's gonna be cheesecake of the chocolate kind you are gonna have to make sure there is enough to go round - after a day of water only and eating strawberries off a saucer I'd probably kill you for the last piece :)[/quote]

Literally LOL'd at this. At work. People stared. Thanks for the giggles :mrgreen:
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Anytime :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    anchetaaa wrote: »

Cake actually appears in my break room at work quite often...

Mine too. There was some yesterday. It wasn't particularly good cake (based on my visual analysis), so I didn't have any. Sometimes really good cake appears, and I do have some. Sometimes it's cannoli or cookies, etc.

Anyway, nice tips. I sometimes eat my ice cream from a tea cup, and it really does seem like much more. I use regular dinner plates, but fill the plate with lots of veggies and it seems like a huge amount of food.

However, coffee and tea are close enough to calorie free that I drink them without violating my personal preference to not waste calories on drinks.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cake, cheesecake, oohhhhh RED VELVET CAKE, carrot cake, coffee cake....I'll take cake every day please!!! She got that cake cake cake cake cake....
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @BombshellPhoenix Recipe please?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    mgjomfiu2xgf.jpg