How to deal with living with someone who

eats all your favorite craving inspiring mouth watering unhealthy foods in front of you every day? I don't want to tell him to not eat those things but it's getting hard to just watch him...

Replies

• Willpower is finite, so make sure you done wear it out resisting food your roomie is eating. :-( That said, I think its also something that gets easier the more you practice.

Maybe come up with reasons you DONT want the foods he's eating. Ex. I don't eat cheetos because they are *so* high in fat, and the color of that cheese looks chemical not edible, plus its so high in sodium it makes me way too thirsty when I do eat them. For the same amount of calories I could eat an entire baked potato.... etc.

Come up with an arsenal of things that gross you out about them.

I remind myself that I can't outrun a bad diet. That helps me.

Good luck!
  • Willpower is finite, so make sure you done wear it out resisting food your roomie is eating. :-( That said, I think its also something that gets easier the more you practice.

Maybe come up with reasons you DONT want the foods he's eating. Ex. I don't eat cheetos because they are *so* high in fat, and the color of that cheese looks chemical not edible, plus its so high in sodium it makes me way too thirsty when I do eat them. For the same amount of calories I could eat an entire baked potato.... etc.

Come up with an arsenal of things that gross you out about them.

I remind myself that I can't outrun a bad diet. That helps me.

Good luck!
    Thanks that helps. Mainly the two things I think about is 1 it would make me fat but more imporantly 2 it would make me feel sick
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    How about not depriving yourself of any food? You can eat the food in moderation. Small portions. It's all about self control. I haven't stopped eating any of the foods I usually eat, (see my diary if you want) I just eat small portions and I've lost weight. :)
  • FayeandBo
    FayeandBo Posts: 46
    edited October 2014
    How about not depriving yourself of any food? You can eat the food in moderation. Small portions. It's all about self control. I haven't stopped eating any of the foods I usually eat, (see my diary if you want) I just eat small portions and I've lost weight. :)

I'm not depriving myself I'm helping myself. I'm not just doing it to lose weight, I've been really sick a lot of my life and every doctor/practitioner has told me to stop eating processed sugar and now that I have I'm finally starting to feel better so I'm not gonna go back to that for sure. Another thing is that I have an addiction (kind of like an alcoholic) and I can't just have a little bit, it's pretty much impossible. If i have a small bite of anything super sugary I will go on a crazy binge and it's not fun. So yeah.

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member

Some of us have the ability to eat only small quantities of junk food, others don't.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    That's so rough!

On the one hand, you can't tell someone else, "I'm on a diet, so you can't snack," lol. On the other hand, it's terribly hard to watch someone sit there and eat things you'd like to eat. Been there, done that, not easy!

I agree with reminding yourself why you aren't eating it. But the "I want to be healthy" mantra only carried me so far. I have to sit there thinking about what the food is doing to that person - making them fat, clogging their arteries, etc. that helps more.

Basically, though, you just have to suck it up and soldier on. Hang tough!!! (And good luck.)

:)
  • Kalikel wrote: »
    That's so rough!

On the one hand, you can't tell someone else, "I'm on a diet, so you can't snack," lol. On the other hand, it's terribly hard to watch someone sit there and eat things you'd like to eat. Been there, done that, not easy!

I agree with reminding yourself why you aren't eating it. But the "I want to be healthy" mantra only carried me so far. I have to sit there thinking about what the food is doing to that person - making them fat, clogging their arteries, etc. that helps more.

Basically, though, you just have to suck it up and soldier on. Hang tough!!! (And good luck.)

:)

thanks haha I'm trying
    and yeah the struggle is real :P
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    I live with a fantastic chef, lucky you might think oh no he loves cream and butter and all things calorie heavy I do cave and eat some but I resist more than I eat
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    I understand, I don't have the ability to do sweets/chocolate/chips in moderation, either. It's really hard when someone is eating them right in front of you but I just do what every in the thread has said, remind myself of why I don't need or what them. I find it gets easier the longer I go without and eventually I don't even have to try :)
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Sounds like the roommate needs to join you in healthy eating! Find recipes and snacks that will make everyone happy.

I made oatmeal & banana muffins to satisfy my sweet tooth - there are tons of gluten free/sugar free recipes out there, Pinterest has them all
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    edited October 2014
    Sounds like the roommate needs to join you in healthy eating! Find recipes and snacks that will make everyone happy.

I made oatmeal & banana muffins to satisfy my sweet tooth - there are tons of gluten free/sugar free recipes out there, Pinterest has them all

But the room mate is happy now.

You cant make someone else eat healthy - or your version of healthy.

Realistically OP needs to find ways to change what she can for herself - forget trying to change the room mate.

No need for OP to avoid gluten either, as far as I can see.

• harlequin0318

Realistically OP needs to find ways to change what she can for herself - forget trying to change the room mate.

are you the roommate :o
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    My husband's metabolism is way faster than mine. Fact is, he can eat whatever he likes. Sometimes, I think that just looking at something I gain weight, that is not true, but it sure feels like it. I just make sure that I have low calorie snacks on hand for me. Lots of cut up raw veggies, fresh fruit, raw almonds etc. It is not the same, but that is just the way it is. It is a challenge, but one many of us have. Life sometimes isn't fair, and it doesn't make this easy for those of us in this situation, we just have to do our best.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member

Of course I am not the room mate.

What a silly question

What I said still stands - room mate is happy with status quo and does not need to change just because OP is changing - so OP needs to concentrate on what she can change , not on how to change the room mate, as your post suggested.

Op also does not need to avoid gluten, nothing in her post suggests a gluten intolerance issue.

• harlequin0318

What a silly question

What I said still stands - room mate is happy with status quo and does not need to change just because OP is changing - so OP needs to concentrate on what she can change , not on how to change the room mate, as your post suggested.

Op also does not need to avoid gluten, nothing in her post suggests a gluten intolerance issue.

Typically a roommate serves as a support system - thats the only reason why I suggested working together to create an environment that works for the both of them.

As far as my gluten free/sugar free statement - don't get stuck on that because I have a gluten issue and many of the recipes I use are also "sugar free"

• Sounds like the roommate needs to join you in healthy eating! Find recipes and snacks that will make everyone happy.

He's actually my boyfriend not my roommate :P and yeah I agree that he already is happy and doesn't want to change. I've talked to him about it too

• Sounds like the roommate needs to join you in healthy eating! Find recipes and snacks that will make everyone happy.

What a silly question

I actually am gluten free haha. I'm eating super clean, basically the paleo diet without meat.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    FayeandBo wrote: »

I'm not depriving myself I'm helping myself. I'm not just doing it to lose weight, I've been really sick a lot of my life and every doctor/practitioner has told me to stop eating processed sugar and now that I have I'm finally starting to feel better so I'm not gonna go back to that for sure. Another thing is that I have an addiction (kind of like an alcoholic) and I can't just have a little bit, it's pretty much impossible. If i have a small bite of anything super sugary I will go on a crazy binge and it's not fun. So yeah.

how about fruit?
    spagetti sauce?
    Juice?

• SezxyStef wrote: »
    FayeandBo wrote: »

how about fruit?
    spagetti sauce?
    Juice?

I don't know what your questions are xD
    I eat lots of fruit daily, don't really like spaghetti sauce and it usually has added sugar anyways, and I don't usually drink juice since it's basically just refined sugar at that point and would just get my cravings back up (which have reduced a lot)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Just move out.