Ever had a breakdown during your workout?

Options

Replies

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I started C25K about a month after I lost my son at 5 1/2 months pregnant (2 months ago). In the beginning I'd be on the treadmill and I'd start bawling at some point. It was like a floodgate would open up. It happened the other day when I ran a mile for the first time without stopping. It's my therapy I guess, thankfully it's in the privacy of my own home and not in a gym...cuz, I think people would start to really worry about me after awhile. :)

i am very sorry for your loss. Been there too. You need to cry sometimes. If the running is therapy then run, doesn't matter what others think.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    might need a shrink.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Nope I haven't had a breakdown because of a workout, I've done a workout because I was having an emotional breakdown though if that counts :smile:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not due to my workout. I've learned through my grieving process to just let the emotions come. The more I try to stifle them, the worse they are when I do allow them to surface. If that means breaking down in the squat rack, so be it.
  • NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    Yes, but not due to my workout. I've learned through my grieving process to just let the emotions come. The more I try to stifle them, the worse they are when I do allow them to surface. If that means breaking down in the squat rack, so be it.

Yep, the emotions come when they come and why hold them back? I can talk about my feelings til the cows come home but sweating it out helps me in the long run. There is even evidence linked to the benefits of physical activity during the grieving process and helps to stave off depression as well.

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Never had a breakdown when working out. I'm actually very happy and clear minded while working out. Maybe I'm not working out hard enough.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was dealing (more like not dealing) with a lot of crap for a while, years back, and I used to just run when I felt like I wanted to cry or scream or punch something. It was like an outlet (and still is, though I'm a lot better emotionally and mentally now).
    I distinctly remember one time, running as fast and far as possible until I couldn't run any further and then completely breaking down. I think I lay with my back on the pavement, sobbing and gasping, for like 15 minutes. I think it was just like popping a balloon in a way, everything had just been building up for a long time, and then it just crashed down on me. Thankfully it was nighttime and nobody was around, or it would have been SO embarrassing, and it was extremely cathartic. I remember feeling so much better as I was walking home.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I first started, all the time. Then I figured out that this is largely mind over matter for me and gave myself a talking to. These days, after losing 60 lbs, it's more just convincing myself to get my butt off the couch and out the door. After the first 5 minutes I'm good. I've been sticking to it. :)
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't get sad... I get angry. Happened today actually. Sometimes it takes me a while to get into the groove of cardio, when I say a while I mean about 20 minutes...... I think it's because my life is still pretty sedentary.

Anywho, I wasn't very pleasant during those first 27 minutes, but I just took a moment and decided my attitude wasn't helping me gain anything. 20 minutes later I felt better and just did what I came there to do.

I think, no I know that on some level I was angry with myself. I then turned that anger on the world for about 27 minutes.

This journey isn't easy, but I want to better myself. I chose this. I want this. This is what I tell myself. Then I follow Nike's slogan and "just do it."

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad other people break down during a workout! Just yesterday I cried while I was running. I was flooded with emotion all at once and just lost it. I wasn't at the gym (this time) so I was free to let it out.
  • littlej01
    littlej01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Once I went for an hour long walk/jog then got home and realized I had forgotten to put my Fitbit on to track. I was having a bad day and that small little moment set me off. I felt like my whole hour was lost because I didn't track it. Dramatic but like I said, I was cranky and just wanted to throw something.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No... I can't say I know how to estimate the burn from a break down, so I find it best to avoid them.

I like you

• lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Never had a breakdown. Although I've thrown up more than once. Had some pretty horrific cramps all day a couple weeks back and then halfway through my 2hr kickboxing class I had to bail out to vomit (and then come back).

Threw up 10m from the finish line at a PB 5k earlier this year, too. That was embarrassing.

But no breakdowns. Yet.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    totally.

My workouts are so personal and so symbolic of the things I am fighting in my brain and my heart and my everyday life. Sometimes Im trying and struggling so hard on both platforms, in the gym and in my brain and all my feels collide and I end up hiding in the bathroom or lockeroom until I can compose myself. Some days there are just silent tears. But my workouts are powerful stuff and it's when I fight my demons. If I come out a bit battle weary, at least I know Im fighting hard :D

So much this. When I'm going through a lot, it can definitely come out in my workout. Usually I either PR OR go the opposite way and start crying because I'm not performing because I'm distracted.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Not me personally, but I have seen friends do it. It's not abnormal. You just had a lot of emotion to work through. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes. My son has autism and I ran into another gym member who has a child on the spectrum. And we decided to talk about that in the middle of the gym. I cried a lot and we quickly moved to the running track so that most of the regulars would think I'm just crying because some lady is making me do cardio.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

Yep, the emotions come when they come and why hold them back? I can talk about my feelings til the cows come home but sweating it out helps me in the long run. There is even evidence linked to the benefits of physical activity during the grieving process and helps to stave off depression as well.

yes to all of this

• FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Twice.

For the first, I left the gym and had my breakdown in my car after chickening out in the weight room. (However, I blame that episode on the snotty clerk at the check-in desk. I had asked her about an employment position that I heard was available, and she was rather rude in her reply. I was in a foul mood when I stepped into the weight room.)

The second was when a Bodypump instructor decided to push down on my shoulders during a set of push-ups. I was very new to the class and couldn't do push-ups well, and having the instructor single me out during class and touch me without permission sent me into full-blown breakdown mode after I got home. To this day, I avoid the class when I know this instructor is teaching it.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's called having an emotional release. It cane happen during massage or anything that is working muscles. The theory is that we store emotions in certain parts of our body and when working them it can release those stored emotions. Many people store emotions in their hips and stomach area. I know for me I've had one in frog pose in a yoga class. There's nothing wrong with it, and it can happen to anyone. Usually afterward you'll find that you feel an immense sense of release.