Buffalo doctor just back from W. Africa returns to work Monday

Options

Replies

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Are you from Buffalo? Ebola is spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. No one is going to catch this just by being in the general vicinity of him. I think people are safe and making too big a deal out of this.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My big thing is him treating other patients. It hasn't even been 21 days since he's been home.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    He didn't treat any Ebola patients while he was there and is smart enough to closely monitor himself. Even though he is not required to do anything since he wasn't in contact with anyone who had it.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    FEARBOLA - is running rampant.

Just break up.....wait no thats not right...........hmmmmmm
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Hey, will I catch Ebola from reading this thread? I need to know for science.
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    Seriously guys, would you want your physician to treat you after returning from West Africa? I would not be comfortable with this.

• Tiamo719
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Just break up.....wait no thats not right...........hmmmmmm

That actually is funny :smile:

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    21 days is the isolation period for those who have been exposed. According to the article and this doctor, he was not exposed. There is no need to blow this out of proportion and he has been monitoring himself according to the latest guidelines.
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    21 days is the isolation period for those who have been exposed. According to the article and this doctor, he was not exposed. There is no need to blow this out of proportion and he has been monitoring himself according to the latest guidelines.

Nov. 14 will be 21 days. And no one is blowing this out of proportion. Just getting opinions.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For the love of all things holy.... Stop, just stop with the whole Ebola thing.
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    Some of you really have a crappy attitude. Bad sleep? :p
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    21 days is an arbitrary number selected by the doctor that wrote the book on ebola... literally about 40 years ago... there's no science behind that number of days... and unless he is your doctor... and he decides to spit on you... while he's exhibiting symptoms... I think your safe... and what of... mutation??? Ebola going airborn? like the doctor who wrote the book said... sure it could mutate... but an equivalent mutation would be like a horse growing wings and flying off into the sun...I would be far more concerned with MERS.. WHICH is an airborn pathogen.. and currently has a 30% mortality rate. There... MY fear mongering for the day :p
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    Seriously guys, would you want your physician to treat you after returning from West Africa? I would not be comfortable with this.

Is this YOUR doc? Then why are you worried? So many awesome things in life, why waste time worrying over something not worth worrying over in this particular situation.

Fear monger someplace else...;o)

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Some of you really have paid attention to reliable sources, read up on matters concerning this disease and therefore don't over-react. Good for you! :p

FIFY
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    21 days is an arbitrary number selected by the doctor that wrote the book on ebola... literally about 40 years ago... there's no science behind that number of days... and unless he is your doctor... and he decides to spit on you... while he's exhibiting symptoms... I think your safe... and what of... mutation??? Ebola going airborn? like the doctor who wrote the book said... sure it could mutate... but an equivalent mutation would be like a horse growing wings and flying off into the sun...I would be far more concerned with MERS.. WHICH is an airborn pathogen.. and currently has a 30% mortality rate. There... MY fear mongering for the day :p
    :)
  • Tiamo719
    Options

Is this YOUR doc? Then why are you worried? So many awesome things in life, why waste time worrying over something not worth worrying over in this particular situation.

Fear monger someplace else...;o)

Not my doctor, thank God and not really worried anymore, just a question "how would you feel"
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The reality is I don't care where my physician has been as long as he is doing everything necessary to keep me safe. The problem with picking a location and going hyper vigilant about it is that you may be missing other important factors that could expose you to other potentially deadly things. What really needs to be reiterated here is that doctors have to be hyper sensitive to how they management their care around any patient and to ensure that they aren't becoming part of the chain of exposure to others.

And Ebola is currently understood to only be transmittable after a person has become symptomatic, unlike other things where when you are symptomatic you are really past the contagious point. So as long as he is vigilant in checking against the protocol I would be okay.
  • atinystorminyourteacup
    Options
    If he isn't exhibiting symptoms and hasn't been around anyone who had Ebola, I really don't see the problem. I don't see why he should just halt his life when there isn't a risk. The reason why so many people are fearing Ebola is due to the fact that we had a few transmissions on U.S. soil. We can't even say we have an outbreak. If you compare what's happening in the U.S. to what's happening in West Africa, this is nothing.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Not worried at all. Ebola will not spread like wildfire and kill everyone... the impending zombie apocalypse will do that silly.