Really concerned about meds

Options
2»

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    The key thing here is as far as weight loss....you admitted you overate while on Paxil. It isn't the paxil, its you overeating that causes weight gain. Talk to your doctor about the paxil and weight loss. Maybe they can refer you to a dietitcian because a low low calorie diet (not sure exactly what you mean by that) isn't a healthy way to lose weight and just going off your meds isn't a good idea either.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I understand, OP. I was so inconsistent at taking my meds, I had to put an alarm reminder on my phone. It's helped a lot.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I stopped taking my paxil for a couple days and have been on a low low calorie and the results have been great! In the past I have gained weight on my paxil (but i've eaten uncontrollably) I'm so worried the paxil is going to stall my weight loss. My husband has recently started effexor and has been losing a lot of weight so i'm trying to switch. Any thoughts?
    My thoughts are this: get off all that stuff.
    When I was fat, doctor after doctor prescribed mood pills instead of addressing my nutritional issues which were the actual cause of my problems. Not once did any of these quacks ever tell me my sleep challenges, depression and mood swings were the result of being obese and eating a poor diet. Once I address that, like magic, my issues diminished, then went away. Fancy that!
    Your situation may be different, so my experience may be moot.
    Only you can decide how best to take ownership of your life.
    Good Luck!
    :)

• flightybird
    flightybird Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Definitely, definitely talk to your doctor before going off any sort of medication like that. My ex was on Paxil and also gained a LOT of weight (uncontrollable cravings/insatiability and exhaustion that made him want to do ANYTHING but move his body) and was eventually switched off of that (along with 2 other drugs) for Abilify.

There are certain drugs for sure that will have side effects like this - not necessarily the drug making you gain weight, but the drug causing the insatiable hunger & fatigue, etc. Mention these to your doctor next time you have a chance to go in and see how they feel about at least letting you give a new med a try. In the long run, it may not be what works best for you, but only you and your doctor as a team can really make that decision.
  • legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    <3 Thanks guys I am in it to win it this time after being overweight my whole life