Let's go ahead and debunk the whole "I'm big boned" theory...

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    You are aware that it possible for people to have different bone structure, right? One picture proves nothing.

My DH has 42" shoulders. His wrists, even at 190 pounds, are so large I cannot get my hand around them. He is one of those people where the BMI calculator will never be right, because he's also only 5'7". I have wide shoulders for a woman, and he makes me look small.

I'm just entertained that this got flagged for abuse... :laugh:

It's been a few days since I've been flagged, so it was time.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No, you're not. You're fat.

/reality

9AhHv6p.jpg

Where did you get my personal photos from....
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You are aware that it possible for people to have different bone structure, right? One picture proves nothing.

My DH has 42" shoulders. His wrists, even at 190 pounds, are so large I cannot get my hand around them. He is one of those people where the BMI calculator will never be right, because he's also only 5'7". I have wide shoulders for a woman, and he makes me look small.

Bone structure (width) is different than bone size.. Big bone refers to having big bones. And generally the people who suggest they are big bone tend to have high body fat percentages. Now if someone is 190 lbs @ 5'7 and 10% body fat, i would suggest they have a lot of muscle, but if they are 25% body fat, it's a different story.

Come on now, that's just nitpicking at semantics. People saying they're "big boned" are essentially saying they are large framed. Oftentimes they're wrong and just overfat, but that doesn't mean that they're actually claiming to have heavier, thicker bones. And muscle mass has little to do with being large framed or otherwise - you can be twiggy with a large framed or have a small frame yet carry a lot of muscle mass.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/219938-how-to-know-your-body-frame/ as my last post made zero sense this link explains better :smile:

Interesting. According to this, I have a large frame. I should have known, considering my massive rib cage.

• BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Big Boned is a myth.. Yes, bones structure varies, but not in the sense of fat vs. skinny. Its just another excuse the faties use as part of their chain of denial.
  • 1992mittens13
    1992mittens13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not even going to bother reading all the previous comments.

I can tell you, I got mad when I saw this pretty fast.

When someone says they are big boned, THEY DON'T LITERALLY MEAN THEY HAVE HUGE BONES BIGGER THAN NORMAL... They really don't.

They mean that their structure, and frame are set differently.

My whole life, people have said I was 'big boned'. Not once, did they mean my bones are abnormal and I'm the hulk. No.

It meant, my shoulders are broader, and wider, than most girls in my age group.
    My hips are also wider apart.
    In general, MY HEAD is also just larger..

You're going to tell me, EACH PERSON has the same structre, and just more/less muscle/fat? No. That's not how it works.

At my smallest, where my hip bones showed greatly, I was in a size 7 jeans. I was 13. Most other 13 year olds wore a size 4 at most, and had the same body look, but actually healthier, than I did.. So YES, bodies are different, and screw everyone who is trying to tear people down, for ACTUALLY having a different shape..

You're the reason people have eating disorders and distorted body images!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'm just 18 inches too short for my weight.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This thread has been quite enlightening... before reading this, I assumed that only men were concerned with the size of their bones.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else amazed at the gap size between the lower pelvic region and his genitalia?

No. Because this is a schematic representation.... not actually real.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

Basically under-boned.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    I think I may be big boned because I have a big head.

I'm disturbed by this thought, because I had a blind date once with a man with a big head (he'd told me he'd lost a lot of weight, and his head seemed really large on his shoulders...)

So, now that I'm losing inches, I wonder if my head will become to big for my shoulders. So, I hope I'm big boned and this won't happen.

lol. This is my favorite comment. I too have a large dome. It must be genetic cause both my kids have heads in the 90th percentile.

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    OP......im kind curious.......is your original photo of the large person with the small skeleton, ...........male or female?

hmm, strange photo for sure..........
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    OH! I thought it was the view that came from the airline scanner...
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    Is big boned the same as thick?
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    but, I don't call myself thick, rather - well rounded. after all, the curves deserve an extra description.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    How wide your shoulders are is determined by your musculature, not your bones.

uh, no, i'm pretty sure that's determined by the placement of your shoulder joints, how long your collarbone is, the width of your scapulae, etc. while you can build the muscles in your neck, upper back, shoulders, and upper arms, nothing is going to change how far apart your shoulder joints are... or the length of your legs, or the circumference of your rib cage.

i use the terms "big boned" and "large framed" interchangeably. as per the NIH and BMI guidelines, i have a very large frame for a 5'3" girl. it makes a difference as to how much muscle my body is capable of carrying, and how low i'm willing to let my weight go.
    Anyone can be any size they want to be given the right diet and activity level and the skeleton plays absolutely no role in that process.

bull. my bra band will never be less than a 38 because that's how big my ribcage is. even if i eliminated ALL the fat AND muscle from my waist, hips, butt, and thighs, and probably calves too, my hipbones are placed too wide to fit into a size 2. telling someone "you can be a size 2 if you work hard enough" is only perpetuating an unattainable societal stereotype and causing more people to hate their bodies.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/219938-how-to-know-your-body-frame/ as my last post made zero sense this link explains better :smile:

There is such a thing as large frames, but this link is really not helpful. To determinate your frame, you have to check your wrist AND your elbow, and possibly other places too... The wrist itself doesn't mean a thing... you could just have a large or smaller wrist (and as you can get fat around your wrist, well... people can still use the 'big boned' excuse).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just want to add. I'm coming at this discussion as someone with a small frame. It's true that it's not the bones themselves that add or detract from the weight. But, a person with a smaller bone structure has less space in their body than a person with a large bone structure. The internal organs are smaller, there is less body mass. I have a 25 inch rib cage (at the widest point). I have a friend on here that has a 38 inch rib cage, and she is an inch shorter than me. We both have low bodyfat. So, of course a healthy weight for us is going to fall at different ends of the bmi chart. I just say this because it leads to many absurd arguments and statements when people can't comprehend how someone can be their same height, but healthy at a very different weight.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

Basically under-boned.
    Eureka! You just gave me a word to describe my recent dry spell!