Down 104 lbs. - Over Halfway to Goal!!! (pics)

Options
I set myself a goal to have lost 101 pounds (halfway to my goal)by Halloween and as of 10/25, I lost 104! So screw waiting until Halloween!

I’m sharing my journey so far, in hopes that it will give hope to someone else who, like me, had 200+ pounds to lose. Reading success stories on MFP was one of the many things that helped motivate me to change my life.

SW 362
CW 258
GW 160 (I may adjust this one way or the other when I get near it)

Barring some rare medical condition, nobody gets to be 362 pounds without having food issues. My father was a sociopath, a pedophile, an alcoholic and had serious anger issues. My mother is a passive aggressive, alcoholic doormat, who let my dad do whatever he wanted to me and her.

In spite of my horrible childhood, I turned out relatively okay, other than using food as my drug of choice. I was determined to be everything my parents weren’t, especially when it came to being a mom. My son tells me he doesn’t know how I turned out so normal, compared to my parents and siblings. I think I do a really good job in most aspects of parenting, but I hadn’t been setting a good example for my son when it came to food and fitness.

I’d been heavy all of my adult life (225 lbs.), but was pretty athletic. I ballooned up to 362 eleven years ago. That’s a long story, but I gained it all in one year when after 20 years, I moved back to my hometown, where my dad lived. Biggest mistake of my life!

I joined MFP late in 2011, but never used it regularly, other than to log my weight. It made me more conscious of what I was eating, though. In the first year, I lost 32 pounds without really trying hard, just reducing portions. Year two was rough. My bat *kitten* crazy mother came to live with me after my dad died. I went up and down that year and wound up losing nothing.

In 2012, I also developed type II diabetes and high BP and was put on medication. I tried taking it for months, but it messed my stomach up so bad that it was impossible to function normally. I’d either be up all night and exhausted the next day or I couldn’t stop running to the bathroom at work, which didn’t work for me. Besides the physical effects of the medication, I’ve never been one to dig taking medicine and the thought of putting chemicals in my body, which my body was clearly rejecting, terrified me.

In January of 2014, I weighed 320 pounds and I decided that I had to do something. I wanted to get rid of the diabetes and high BP, which at this point was going untreated. I also wanted to set a better example for my son. He wasn’t overweight, but I could see he was copying some of my poor eating habits, ie. too many carbs. I started drinking more water and eating smaller meals, but I’d go off track so frequently, that from January until August, I only lost twenty more pounds. That was mostly because I began going to the gym in June, not because I was reducing calories.

Going to the gym for the first time since I had gained so much weight scared the crap out of me. I started out with just cardio and could barely do 15 minutes combined of bike and treadmill, going very slowly. I just knew everyone there was judging me, and some were, although most weren’t. A smart MFP friend suggested that I add weight lifting to my workout. I could do that for much longer than cardio, but I still did the cardio too. I was able to do more and more with every week that passed and I was feeling empowered.

August 1st, I decided that I needed to get my diet in check so I could get my weight down quickly, to get rid of the diabetes. I started August 2nd, logging everything I put in my mouth, logging water intake, and exercising as much as my body would allow.

In August I lost 20 pounds, in September I lost 20 pounds and so far in October, I’ve lost 17 pounds! I have worked up to working out at least two hours a day, usually taking off one day a month, when I just need a day off. I lift weights for around an hour and do cardio around an hour. People at the gym are now coming up to me and telling me what an inspiration I am to them and how they tell people about me all the time. Freaky!

Another cool think is that my son goes to the gym with me. He’s lifting weights to get ready for HS football next year. He looks amazing and it’s done wonders for his confidence! He has crazy muscles and all his friends’ parents keep telling me their kids are wanting them to get them a gym membership so they can work out with us. I love it!

I haven’t been to the doctor lately, since I recently lost my job, but I’m confident the diabetes is gone. My blood sugar monitor won’t work, so I can’t check it, but all the symptoms I had are gone. My BP is normal and my resting heart rate has gone from 90 to 64.

If anyone would have ever told me that I could overcome all the self-doubt and actually accomplish this and that going to the gym would become the best part of my day, I would have said you were off your nut!

I didn’t know until a few months ago, that MFP had forums and I could have friends. My MFP friends have been great support and I’ve learned so much by reading the pinned threads on the getting started section and others.

I feel so strong, both mentally and physically! I can’t wait to get to my goal weight, which I plan to be at by next summer. A few months ago, this seemed daunting. I still have 98 pounds to lose, but I know, without any doubt in my mind, that I can do it!

It took me a long time to decide to be the best person I can be, and I could sit around beating myself up about that, but I think I’ll love myself instead.

Thanks for reading all this and I hope it helps someone else, like others have helped me.

The pics on the left are me at 362. The ones on the right were taken today.

tbopkopzha9c.png

sau9smbaox17.png

86tcjixh1bk7.png

Replies

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I have no doubt you'll reach your goals. You look great and even better, I bet you feel so much healthier. Great, great job! Look forward to seeing your next 'success' post.
    Keep it up. :D
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Your story is very inspirational and you look amazing! Well done! <3
  • Dezzie1180
    Dezzie1180 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow, awesome. You're truly inspirational.
  • priyankakusumwal
    priyankakusumwal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow!congratulations for ur success.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your hard work is really paying off! :)
  • kharmon2013
    kharmon2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress, and life changing for both you and your son. Thank you for sharing :) look forward to seeing your post in the summer when you meet your goal. You look incrdible!!!
  • anovak1009
    anovak1009 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!! What a strong person you are! Keep up the great work :smile:
  • freshstart
    freshstart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are an inspiration to those here and to your son.
  • 1992mittens13
    1992mittens13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Amazing! :) Keep it up!
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    WOW, you are looking fabulous, what a FANTASTIC inspiration!!! I'm so glad to call you my friend!
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment. Congratulations on your weight loss and also taking control of your life. Your story touched my heart. So proud of you. Keep it going.
  • srsly
    srsly Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Amazing progress! The change in your face is phenomenal!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing! Congratulations, honey. You're a major inspiration - and stories like this are the reason I keep coming back to MFP. You go, girl! :flowerforyou:
  • JulieFinn
    JulieFinn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow - super happy about your progress! Want to be my friend on here??
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Very Nice! Enjoy a lighter Halloween!!!!
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You pretty much just told my mother's story without the success part. I would dream she would take such steps to bring herself into a healthy lifestyle. You are hope and inspiration to so many women in multiple ways. I love your before and after. Your smile in the second picture before is so beautiful. That beauty that shines I am sure led to some of your success. As a child watching my mother eating herself to major health problems, I can only imagine the joy your son has. Thank you so much for the openness of your story and the pictures. This is by far the most inspiration story I have read on life changes and recognition of underlying issues. I hope you continue to have physical and emotional progress daily.
  • Hikr56
    Hikr56 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Jen! Congratulations on reclaiming your life and being the best "YOU" that you can be. Thank you for sharing your inspiring story with us! :)
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Jen! You're such an inspiration! Thank you so much for sharing your story <3
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    what a tansformation - you are incredible, keep it up! :D
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your painful and triumphant story! You're a shining example to all who've had to overcome childhood tragedy from a dysfunctional home life. I'm so glad you are coming full circle and learning to love yourself! I bet your son is so very proud of you...you look fantastic!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!