Clipless Pedals: Are they really worth it?

Options
I have become an avid cyclist over the last year. I started off with an old Trek mountain bike and then bought a Jamis road bike. This year I bought a Trek carbon road bike.

Long story short - I ride in my running shoes. They are comfortable and I seem to have no issues. The dudes at the LBS (local bike shop) are telling me I need to get clipless pedals and clipless shoes. They explained that the benefits far outweigh the possible accidents I could get in wearing shoes that I can't just "hop off the bike" with.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on both sides of this issue. I'm just trying to figure out if it is really worth the extra cost and the possible accidents (which, knock on wood, I haven't had one yet where I got hurt) to go clipless.

Thanks!

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My first bike had clips and was a touring bike. I liked them and they were nice and secure. My current bike came without clips. I was a bit nervous, but I've been ok with it.

I wear boots when I ride most of the time. I try not to ride in flip flops. ;-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love them, but it really comes down to your ability and your goals/expectations for your riding.

I find them far more "necessary" on my mountain bike than I do on my road bike. That said, I don't have a great spin... I tend to be more of a pedal masher.

If you want to try them out, pedals can be had for pretty cheap. Shoes don't have to be crazy expensive, but will likely make up for most of the cost.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The clips I had were screwed on so I didn't have separate pedals.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was used to them in two weeks. Theyre nice. Ive wrecked and still landed on my feet while my bike tumbled around me (albeit, it was lucky). I have Look Keos but I'd like Crank Brothers Candy 3s.

The only time my clips screwed me was when a guy came by with a lawnmower while i was stopped with my right foot down. I lifted it up and fell to the left. This was when I had first got them. You adapt to them quickly.

I often wear Etnies skate shoes on my Look Keos and I feel comfortable (wide feet as well). Ive ridden 20+ miles like this and felt fine. I dont know how you bike in running shoes. I need flat bottom shoes. When I pedal with my Asics on it drives me crazy. That may be partially because of the small profile of my Look's versus a standard pedal.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    goiahawks wrote: »
    I'd like to hear some thoughts on both sides of this issue. I'm just trying to figure out if it is really worth the extra cost and the possible accidents (which, knock on wood, I haven't had one yet where I got hurt) to go clipless.

I use mountain bike clipless pedals on my road bike. Real road pedals would be more efficient, but I like the face that I can ride somewhere and get off the bike and walk around in the shoes. Road shoes aren't so easy due to the shape of the sole.

The model I'm using is Speedplay's Frog. I really like them. They are easy and smooth to get in and out of. It takes a little practice, but it isn't that hard.

I've got Shimano XT pedals on my mountain bike. Those are a lot harder to unclip, but they feel more secure for rougher terrain.

• goiahawks
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome replies thus far. I ride more for distance and endurance than I do for speed (but I am always trying to get from point A to point B faster). My average rides are 25 - 40 miles with the occasional 70-110. Will clipless pedals help me endurance wise and help to make the ride easier? Please excuse my ignorance, I am just trying to decide if clipless pedals are for me. Thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    carbon road bike, and not using good pedals?

Wow. So yeah... you want good pedals, light, strong, integrate well with your cycling boots.

I used to use crankbros egg beaters, but they were only ok, switched to the SPD system, and works a lot better with my tri boots.

Get some good boots, decent pedals, and get to it. If you're riding in your running shoes, you're losing a fuckton of energy during the pedal cycle.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    goiahawks wrote: »
    Long story short - I ride in my running shoes. They are comfortable and I seem to have no issues. The dudes at the LBS (local bike shop) are telling me I need to get clipless pedals and clipless shoes. They explained that the benefits far outweigh the possible accidents I could get in wearing shoes that I can't just "hop off the bike" with.

You're losing a lot of power as the shoes flex. You're also losing the opportunity to lift the pedal as well as pull it down, so you're only getting a proportion of the available power delivery.

I came off my bike once as a result of getting stuck, a couple of weeks after I got them. I've been using them for about 20 years now.

• Shalvia62
    Options
    I love them, of course I ride a trike so I can't fall over if I don't clip out in time. When I rode a 2 wheel upright I still loved them, but I do have a number of scars from not clipping out in time as I am a klutz.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine spending the money on a decent carbon bike and not putting real pedals on.

The soles of your regular shoes are soft, and made for walking. You lose quite a bit of power transfer in the bending of those shoes as you pedal. Power that could otherwise be transferred to the drivetrain.
  • dbmata
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I can't imagine spending the money on a decent carbon bike and not putting real pedals on.
    Yeah... when I read that...
  • goiahawks
    Options

I would say I'm not in the minority when it comes to the fear of going clipless. The more I read on it - the more I know I need to do it. As a beginner (just a year in) I'm still learning a lot. It took me test riding a carbon fiber bike to know it was easier on my body than a steel frame. Maybe I just need to test drive some clipless pedals and go from there. :)

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    GO for it... Practice on a trainer or a spin type bike with your pedals (I just take a pedal wrench to the Y and change them out). You will fall a few times, but that is just life. Because you fall when you stop it is typically more embarrassing and comical than painful... The power you gain from being able to pull up and not having your foot shift is definitely a bonus especially if you like to climb.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Everyone falls once or twice. Then it's no issue. It is really easy to learn to do it, and takes only a few tries at it before it is second nature.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I know nothing about clipless pedals, but I never met anyone who worked in a bike shop who didn't think I needed to buy something! All I'm saying is - there's a reason they're called sales assistants. I also tend to find they're a little bit 'one twoo way'ish sometimes. Do your own research and make your own mind up before you decide to go along with it - test driving some clipless pedals sounds like a great idea that will help you make your mind up.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Clipless pedals are definitely worth it. As many have said, you lose a lot of power through the soft, flexible soles of running shoes or whatever. Also, learning to spin (high cadence, lower force) and not mash (higher force, lower cadence) will help your endurance since you're transferring some of the load from your legs to your heart and lungs on rides. Also, spinning is much, much easier on your knees.

Get some pedals (I'm a big believer in Speedplay myself) and practice clipping in and out, preferably on a trainer, before you take them on the road. Once you're used to the pedals, practice spinning in smooth, round circles and gradually try to increase your cadence up to the 90 to 100 RPM range.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I use speedplays myself, but for clipless newbies basic Shimano SPDs are really easy to get in and out of. That would be my recommendation for a first set of clipless. (Yes I know they are not "real" road pedals, but so what)
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've just used a spin bike and my husbands mountain bike to test it out and I can speak when others say the clipless are worth it. Biking is an expensive hobby/sport but investing in something of quality (esp. from those experienced) is advice I'd take.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    (Yes I know they are not "real" road pedals, but so what)

they're plenty real enough... Get some nice stiff soled shoes and I can't tell the difference between them and my Look pedals up to brisk 200km events, and with SPD shoes I dont worry about falling over in the cafe!
  • dbmata
    Options
    There you go, SPD-SL, super easy to use, cheap...
    http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/

Get em installed, get used to them, then find some better pedals. I like this system myself.