Are you about to ask the forums why you aren't losing weight?! Read This First!

Options
Tbaby1514
Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
These are the most common reasons I hear people say they gained weight:

A ) I blame yoga pants, leggings etc, I wear them all of the time so I didn't notice how much I gained.
B ) I must not have a metabolism.
C ) I have no idea how I gained weight?! I only eat 1200 calories a day!

Now here's the truth:

A ) Unless you were EATING your yoga pants/leggings (not sure the calories in those) they did not MAKE you gain weight. I get that fabric is stretchy, But a 200 lb person is not going to wear the same size as 160 lb person. If you gained 5 lbs, maaaybe even 10, I can let it slide, but when you've gained 30+ pounds, you noticed they were too tight, you were in denial.

B ) Thanks to this really awesome guy named Empedocles (should out to Thales as well, you were almost there little buddy) we know that energy is neither created nor destroyed, it is just transferred. That means when you eat that 1500 calorie cheeseburger 2 things are going to happen: You burn off as much of it as your body needs and then you body stores the rest of the calories (energy) in your fat cells. This is why people workout, so they can burn off the excess energy before it makes it's way to their thighs.

C ) You did not eat 1200 calories a day. Period. End of Story. Did you know that in order to gain weight on a 1200 calorie diet a 25 year old woman would have to be 3'5" and weigh 50 pounds?! She'd also have to be bed ridden as well.
Maybe it was the alcohol on the weekends with friends, maybe it was the Mcdonalds you got on the way to little Johnny's soccer practice. If you aren't weighing/measuring your food, it's extremely easy to over eat.
Stop trying to eyeball portions and at LEAST use a measuring cup! Make sure you're logging your drinks, make sure you're logging your condiments, sauces, toppings etc.
Make sure you're logging the crap that you eat as well, don't lie to your journal, because no matter what you put in there, your mirror will always be honest with you. At least if you're honest in your journal, you can look back and say "oh hey, I ate an entire pint of ice cream that day, so that's why I'm up a pound this week."

I know I'm probably going to get *kitten* on for this, but this question is asked about a thousand times per day. I'm sorry, you are not a special snowflake. There is no magical reason to why you got fat.

There are legitimate reasons for weight gain in the first place. Maybe you started a new relationship and cut into your exercise time to go out with them. Maybe it's all those dates you guys have been on, or maybe you just got comfortable. Undiagnosed, untreated, and/or un-monitored medical diseases. (Do not WebMD every disease that causes weight gain and make your doctor run a full panel, this isn't as common as you'd think) Depression is another one. Until you admit the real reason WHY you gained weight, you aren't ready for weight loss. Maybe you'll lose some weight, but without treating the Cause prepare for the Effect to come right back.

Replies

• Terihardman
    Terihardman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    excellent post
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    excellent post

It wont end well though
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    excellent post

It wont end well though

ha ha.
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish we were able to "like" posts. Nicely said. Thumbs up to you!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    excellent post

It wont end well though

Sadly this ^^^^
  • Tbaby1514
    Options
    excellent post

It wont end well though

If they're too weak to handle a little tough love, they're too weak to change their entire lifestyle to becoming happy and healthy. Just sayin'
  • UCCrista
    UCCrista Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Very nice.

Surprised that you haven't been flagged as being 'abusive' yet (because, you know, the truth hurts sometimes).
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep...totally hear everything in this post. I understand that there are other factors. When I hear someone say that they are eating 1200 calories and gaining weight, I tell them that they need to see a doctor. If they are legitimately having this problem, then something is wrong and they need a doctor, not a forum.
  • Tbaby1514
    Options
    MrsKGrady wrote: »
    Yep...totally hear everything in this post. I understand that there are other factors. When I hear someone say that they are eating 1200 calories and gaining weight, I tell them that they need to see a doctor. If they are legitimately having this problem, then something is wrong and they need a doctor, not a forum.

I agree! Same with if they're struggling with depression!
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I want to paste a smiley with flowers thingy but don't know how :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

It wont end well though

Sadly this ^^^^
    Yep
  • Tbaby1514
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Very nice.

Surprised that you haven't been flagged as being 'abusive' yet (because, you know, the truth hurts sometimes).

45 minutes in and I'm still safe! For now anyways.
  • Tbaby1514
    Options

Hahaha cutest thing I've read all day.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Like!
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »

Hahaha cutest thing I've read all day.

Thank you :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I like you.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's too early for this.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member