Please teach me, how you became a clean and healthy eater...

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »

I've lost 40 lbs. Been eating grains the entire time. Please explain how this is possible.

This. Explain how there are people on this site who have lost hundreds of pounds eating grains.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    I do not use any logic there, I just mention facts, she is talking about weight loss, and whole grains do not help for that matter, because we talk about amounts of sugar and insulin response.

If you are healthy and have a normal weight it is your business whether or not to consume whole grains, they are often processed as well and they have more discussion but is less dangerous compared to a person who wants to loose weight.

I am definitely not at normal weight! I need to lose about 100lbs. I am eating whole grains as a part of a wholesome diet. And as of 5 weeks I am down by 2.5 kgs. So I don't think whole grains are the devil here

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I have lost 50.5 lbs. I'm having pizza for dinner tonight. Today I'm getting 93 grams of protein. So... why do I have to eat "clean?"
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    I am definitely not at normal weight! I need to lose about 100lbs. I am eating whole grains as a part of a wholesome diet. And as of 5 weeks I am down by 2.5 kgs. So I don't think whole grains are the devil here

Give yourself a chance, cut them and see the results, you can't loose anything but weight ;)

For the people who talk about how is possible.. I am not going to waste my time with you, I recommend cutting them, but I am not saying that it is not possible to loose, it all depends on how much you eat, and we are discussing healthier or not.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    don't eat food after it's fallen on the floor.

Except for the 5 second rule!!!!!! :D

• KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    When I first joined MFP I bought a food scale and I hightly recommend it. That was eye opening! Portion control is HUGE. I was eating SO much food at one sitting, that once I started to weigh and measure what I should be eating the pounds came off.

I LOVE food. All kinds of food. There is no "bad" food. There are good choices, and not so good choices. I still eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my daily/weekly calorie goal, and that works for me because what I want to eat has changed drastically. Now that I choose to eat the non-greasy, non-high-fat-content foods, I feel better. Now the creamy sauces and greasy hamburgers and fried french fries make me feel sluggish and sick. And, I do mean physically sick... I eat it, and 30 minutes later my stomach rumbles and I hate life for the next couple of hours.

Eventually, you may want the grilled chicken sandwich instead of the greasy cheeseburger. But, always eat the cupcake, as long as it fits into your calorie goal. :) Start slow. And, I recommend you start weighing and measuring your food. Good luck.

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    I do not use any logic there, I just mention facts, she is talking about weight loss, and whole grains do not help for that matter, because we talk about amounts of sugar and insulin response.

If you are healthy and have a normal weight it is your business whether or not to consume whole grains, they are often processed as well and they have more discussion but is less dangerous compared to a person who wants to loose weight.

The fact is, irregardless of weight, unless you have a medical condition, it's calories in vs out.

I started out in the obese BF%. I ate whole grains, sugar, fast food, etc. Lost 53 lbs and reduced my BF%, increased my fitness level.

Eating "clean" is subjective. It's all about context. For health, absolutely pay attention to your nutrient intake. For weight loss, calories. Getting a good balance of macros is body comp but the ultimate factor to weight loss will always be calories deficit.

You don't need to eliminate foods from your diet to lose weight or fat. You just need to learn balance
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

Give yourself a chance, cut them and see the results, you can't loose anything but weight ;)

For the people who talk about how is possible.. I am not going to waste my time with you, I recommend cutting them, but I am not saying that it is not possible to loose, it all depends on how much you eat, and we are discussing healthier or not.

You just said eating whole grains does not help with weight loss. Then you said it is less dangerous for thinner people to eat whole grains than heavier people. If you're going to make claims, and say that those claims are based in fact, you should be able to provide support for your statements.
  • CJsf1t

I am happy eating all food groups in moderation than restricting myself. And if I am losing at a healthy pace while doing so it means I am doing it right. If you want to cut carbs you are free to do so. But that does not make you healthier than me.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Questions for all of you who have made it over the hump to living a clean and healthy lifestyle. How did you do it? Really, how did you go from Fat and unhealthy to Fit and healthy. Regardless if you lost 100 pounds , 50 pounds or 30 pounds you realized you needed to change your current situation, your current eating habits and you did it!!! Congratulations!!!! Now teach me HOW?? Teach me your success...

How does one go from eating unhealthy foods like burgers, fries, pizza, pasta, creamy salad dressings, deep fried crap to eating clean foods like chicken breast, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, brown rice every day (I want to be one of these people).

1. How did you finally say.. Enough is Enough!

2. How did you change all your unhealthy eating habits to your current healthy eating?

3. How did you stay on course in the beginning of your journey to make sure you wouldn't fall off course?

4. What helped you the most in the beginning of journey?

Teach me please!!! I'm here to learn from your success…

Thanks Dianna

First, I believe in all things in moderation. I have lost 65 pounds, but I still eat pizza, drink beer and wine, and enjoy chocolate. Yes, overall I eat healthier than I did, but I don't deprive myself either. Now onto your questions.

1. I had a health scare in high school. I wanted to participate in track and field, but I needed to have a physical (signed by my doctor) first. I went for the physical, but she refused to sign it because she didn't think I was healthy enough. She made a deal with me: if I would get some bloodwork done (high cholesteral, diabetic, thyroid function), she would sign off on it. I felt ill to my stomach since I was only 16 and being told I had to be tested for several diseases that could be caused by my body weight. I decided then and there that I didn't want to live the next 60-70 years of my life with weight related issues, if I was lucky enough to get 60-70 more years.

2. I didn't change them all. Like I said, i still have pizza, beer, wine, chocolate, burgers, ice cream. I just eat less of those now, and when I do I eat the right portion. When I have ice cream, I don't eat a whole pint (usually). I usually only eat one or two 1/2 cup servings, but I log it so I know where i end up for the day. As for my meals now, I meal-prep on the weekends. If I didn't meal prep, I would eat out a lot. It would hurt both my pocketbook and my waistline in the long run. Yes, you can lose weight eating out everyday, but I know that I personally can't do it. It's easier for me to take away the temptation and just meal-prep my lunches.

3. Being able to see the weight going down helped. Also knowing that I would be better off (health-wise) if I got to a "normal" weight helped. Other than that, I was just tired of being obese. I had wanted to be fit and healthy my whole life, and I finally had the drive I needed to succeed.

4. I quit drinking sodas. I went from drinking 2 liters of root beer a day to none. I still enjoy a soda here and there now-a-days, but I don't drink them regulary. Also, measuring out my food. I learned what a true serving size, not what I grew up believing was a serving size. It was a sad day when I realized 3 helpings of Mom's homemade lasagna was not a serving.

But everyone is different. What worked for me may not work for you. I like to think of weight loss/maintenance as a science experiment you perform on yourself. You have to try different things out on yourself and see what results you get. Once you see the results desired, you can keep going with what worked until it no longer works. At the time, you change it up again and start all over to try to get more of the results you're after.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Just give it time, I want you to comment here again when you struggle and you are stuck, send my a private to remind me this post ;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Just give it time, I want you to comment here again when you struggle and you are stuck, send my a private to remind me this post ;)

So did you basically just say that she's going to struggle and get stuck?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member

Or she can send you a message and remind you of this post when she successfully loses weight without cutting out whole food groups....

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member

I wouldn't do it. I bet you'll send noods.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member

I'm wondering what is wrong with a person that makes them actively root against someone who is doing something to improve her/his health just so that they might appear to be right about something so stupid. :unamused: You're a bad person.
  • CJsf1t

I think you are implying ^ this to me. I would like you to know that if I were stuck or struggling, which does happen when losing weight, I will re-evaluate my calorie goal and logging. I will definitely not PM you. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

Creepy

• CJsf1t
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Creepy

On many levels!

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Creepy

On many levels!

31 male with no pic and blank profile. Hmmm

• Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Have no idea how to do that, but I can teach you how to Dougey.