Clipless Pedals: Are they really worth it?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Biggest thing for me being clipped in is that you can rest your quads and use your hammies for extended periods of time if need be.

They will definitely increase your speed, endurance, handling and efficiency.

This, and it also helps with hills. I love them and can't get on a bike without them. It feels like I am one with the bike.

My wife on the other hand, just cant get the hang of them.

You shouldn't be moving around the pedal stroke with your hammies. That's one of the leading causes to my knee injury.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing for me being clipped in is that you can rest your quads and use your hammies for extended periods of time if need be.

This, and it also helps with hills. I love them and can't get on a bike without them. It feels like I am one with the bike.

You shouldn't be moving around the pedal stroke with your hammies. That's one of the leading causes to my knee injury.

Agreed. Again, the clipless allows you to use your hamstrings to some degree, rather than staying limp, but you don't want to rock your pelvis so far back on the saddle that they are the only muscles firing. Surefire path to injury.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    They have pedals where one side is flat and the other accepts clippless shoes. I bought them for my road bike (which I only ride on a trainer for cardio because I'm a chicken!). So perhaps you can try those out by clipping into one pedal and not the other until you get used to it? At my LBS one of the guys there said that, generally, people fall with clipless when they are either stopped or going very slow. All the comments on here seemed to support that. Point is that you probably will hurt your ego more than your body when you fall (I hear everyone does at least once)...

Two years ago, I broke my ankle... No. I obliterated my ankle when I fell off my hybrid in the road. I tried to scale uneven ground and went crashing to the pavement in the middle of traffic. I was in regular sneakers and using flat pedals. I instinctively put my foot down to brace my fall. I was going at least 17mph. The road jarred my ankle and yanked it right off the bone(s). By the end of my tumble my ankle was hanging on by the tendons only. So flat pedals can also be dangerous. I kinna wish I had on clips that day!!! BTW, 9 pins and a plate were waiting for me in surgery that night, along with 6 months of rehab. Oh yeah, and about 50lbs of fat from overeating and not moving!

That seriously sucks and I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I don't think clipless would have helped you in that scenario though. After cycling in clipless pedals for a few years, I could get my feet out of the pedals just as fast as you can get them off flat pedals. If this was an "instinctive" reaction to put your foot down, you could have done the exact same thing in clipless pedals.

On the other side of the coin, I've seen someone get hit lightly by a car and his bike ended up about 10 ft away from the rider...

and one of his feet was still in the shoe...

and the shoe was still attached to the bike.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So basically what we've got here is

- 4 or 5 of us advocating the benefits of clipless pedals
    - an entire racing community sworn to clipless
    - the vast vast vast majority of recreational riders using clipless

and

- one guy saying clipless will lead to injury and cause you to be a poor technical rider
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    On the other side of the coin, I've seen someone get hit lightly by a car and his bike ended up about 10 ft away from the rider...

I would have to classify that as a "freak accident" - even more outside the realm of probability than the typical car-vs-cyclist incident.

• chivalryder
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Agreed. Again, the clipless allows you to use your hamstrings to some degree, rather than staying limp, but you don't want to rock your pelvis so far back on the saddle that they are the only muscles firing. Surefire path to injury.

Yup! Yup! The only work your hammies should be doing is lifting your back foot up enough so it's applying zero pressure to the pedal on the back stroke, allowing you to put maximum power into the down stroke of the opposite foot.

This is something you can and should be able to do on flat pedals, though it is a lot more difficult because if you lift too much, your foot will leave the pedal.

This is why I believe people who don't race believe clipless pedals are better than flats - because they can't spin the pedals quickly without their feet leaving the pedals, because they don't have good pedaling technique. If you train and practice enough, you can do it on flat pedals, and in doing so, you'll become faster and more efficient when your feet actually are secured to your pedals.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I definitely didn't mean using your hammies with aggression or anything. Just keeping the pedals moving while your quads rest for a bit. Would never make a climb using my hamstrings. That hurts my knees just thinking about it.

• jacksonpt
    Options

woohooo!!!! Fear mongering based on a freak accident!!!!
  • chivalryder
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    So basically what we've got here is

- 4 or 5 of us advocating the benefits of clipless pedals
    - an entire racing community sworn to clipless
    - the vast vast vast majority of recreational riders using clipless

and

- one guy saying clipless will lead to injury and cause you to be a poor technical rider

Ignorance is bliss.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Well, he did say it was beneficial for people who race and I race against myself every time I ride so.... ;)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    They have pedals where one side is flat and the other accepts clippless shoes. I bought them for my road bike (which I only ride on a trainer for cardio because I'm a chicken!). So perhaps you can try those out by clipping into one pedal and not the other until you get used to it? At my LBS one of the guys there said that, generally, people fall with clipless when they are either stopped or going very slow. All the comments on here seemed to support that. Point is that you probably will hurt your ego more than your body when you fall (I hear everyone does at least once)...

Two years ago, I broke my ankle... No. I obliterated my ankle when I fell off my hybrid in the road. I tried to scale uneven ground and went crashing to the pavement in the middle of traffic. I was in regular sneakers and using flat pedals. I instinctively put my foot down to brace my fall. I was going at least 17mph. The road jarred my ankle and yanked it right off the bone(s). By the end of my tumble my ankle was hanging on by the tendons only. So flat pedals can also be dangerous. I kinna wish I had on clips that day!!! BTW, 9 pins and a plate were waiting for me in surgery that night, along with 6 months of rehab. Oh yeah, and about 50lbs of fat from overeating and not moving!

That seriously sucks and I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I don't think clipless would have helped you in that scenario though. After cycling in clipless pedals for a few years, I could get my feet out of the pedals just as fast as you can get them off flat pedals. If this was an "instinctive" reaction to put your foot down, you could have done the exact same thing in clipless pedals.

YIKES!!!! So I will consider myself lucky!!! Like I said, most of my riding happens in front of my big screen tv on my CycleOps Powerbeam Pro. I ride my hybrid with flat pedals outside but it's still hard to get the thought of that accident out of my mind. I NEVER wan to fall off of a bike again so I don't think I would use clipless pedals. I do hope to ride in longer events (50-100miles) when I lose this excess weight but I just can't bring myself to change the pedals.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    YES.

As you were...
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Chivalry, how long have you been riding? Just curious.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    This is why I believe people who don't race believe clipless pedals are better than flats - because they can't spin the pedals quickly without their feet leaving the pedals, because they don't have good pedaling technique. If you train and practice enough, you can do it on flat pedals, and in doing so, you'll become faster and more efficient when your feet actually are secured to your pedals.

Most casual/recreation riders don't care to become better technical riders... most don't pay attention to cadence, never mind the technical aspects of their spin.

They want to go farther, probably faster, and have more fun riding. Clipless will do that. Flats will too, but the chance of someone's foot coming off the pedal while spinning and causing them to crash is far greater than someone's foot/shoe staying attached to a bike while the rest of the person is 10' away in the middle of the road.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've got Shimano 105 pedals on my road bike, with shoes from Specialized with SPD-SL cleats.

I started riding on a hybrid with just toe cages, and going to the road bike with cleats made a huge difference. I am able to keep a better cadence, and put out more power up the hills. I also feel more stable on the bike, and I am much more comfortable standing on hills.

You very quickly get used to kicking out your heel to un-clip, it's second nature now.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Yes as others have said about hammys- you end up firing up your hammys instead of one leg being passive on the return to the top of your pedal apex.

I can cosign this. I love riding my bike on the trainer with the clips. I feel it from my glutes through my feet. Love the burn! I can see how they would make someone want to ride longer and to eventually develop more power and endurance. I can't get that same feeling riding on flat pedals. I say the OP should give it a try.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    lol. separate your knee joint... I'd love to see the research on that.
    Clipless pedals will no help with endurance and will not make the ride easier.

orly? Funny, when I switched to clipped pedals, my cadence increased, cruising speed increased, heart rate during climbs decreased, and overall ability to ride over long distances increased both perceptually and corroborated by cycle data.

You're making up stuff as you go. If you understand anything about power transfer, you know your statement is pretty silly. The reason those pedals and shoes exist is to increase efficiency and power. Both combined makes the experience easier. derp.

I was about to go point by point refuting everything the previous poster said, but I will just say +1 to this post.

I don't have the energy to deal with how wrong that was.

There are only two kinds of clipless cyclists in the world.

The kind whose knee joints have separated, and those whose are GOING to.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

• Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Aside from the "getting used to them" phase they're superb. As a newbie you can get pedals with clips on one side and a normal pedal on the other. That helps when you just want a quick pedal to the shops and don't want to kit up, and also helps you get used to the change in pedal pattern. You'll soon be in full clip mode in no time
  • goiahawks
    Options
    OP here - Okay to help everyone out...I am not training for an Ironman Tri. I am, however, training to do multiple century rides next year. I did my first one this year on a steel bike with flat pedals and tennis shoes. It sucked in more ways than my knees and lower legs.

The primary reason I bought a carbon bike (and specifically the Trek Domane 4.3) was the way it handles rough trails and bumps. I have had both rotator cuffs repaired and riding on steel I felt every vibration straight up the fork. With carbon I do not get near the vibration.

Would I say I'm a casual rider? It depends on how you look at that. I want to improve but I am also not looking to do a time trial anytime soon.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    goiahawks wrote: »
    Would I say I'm a casual rider?

I'm surprised that there's even a debate. The fact that you're doing the distances that you mentioned in the original post says that you'll benefit from moving to clipless.

Yes it's a different ride, your whole system is more engaged, but you'll feel a lot less fatigued.