Gettin a bit peeved!

Options
Not happy, seems I'm putting in a lot of time & effort into losing a bit of weight, 3rd week on here but i started my mission a week before so 28 days of total life change! I'm doing cardio at gym (first time in years) swimming eating an average 1000 cals a day, was delighted when last week i'd lost 5lb, but guess what ive gained some back! how? puzzled. I am wearing t-shirts that i couldnt before but the scales are laughing at me, was sceptical at the 'your not eating enough posts' ands have upped my intake to 1500 last three days, yep i reckon thats a failure coinciding with recent weigh-in.. my diets been mainly fruit no fizzys no beer no sweets/choc NO REWARDS!

Replies

• boxednranch
    boxednranch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough, plus you are developing muscle, which weighs more than fat. You should go more by how your clothes are fitting than by what the scales say. That's the true test -- are you getting smaller?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough, plus you are developing muscle, which weighs more than fat. You should go more by how your clothes are fitting than by what the scales say. That's the true test -- are you getting smaller?

You're not developing muscles. You're eating too little. You're doing it wrong, my friend. And the scale does fluctuate, even if you're doing it right. Figure out your TDEE and eat at a %15 or %20 deficit.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    No one who is eating 1000 calories a day is developing muscle. And I imagine that the OP is feeling pretty sucky eating mainly fruit. How about figure out a reasonable calorie level, eat a wide variety of foods, including foods that make you happy? That is really what it takes to go the distance.
  • afclong
    afclong Posts: 20
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks boxed, ive upped my intake last three days + gained weight! not sure im convinced with the 'eat more to lose more' theory, not noticibly getting smaller but feel comfier now in tops I wouldnt wear before, Hard work innit' X
    Cheers guys, what is TDEE? Cant help but feel eating more is not the answer,
  • arditarose
    Options
    afclong wrote: »
    Thanks boxed, ive upped my intake last three days + gained weight! not sure im convinced with the 'eat more to lose more' theory, not noticibly getting smaller but feel comfier now in tops I wouldnt wear before, Hard work innit' X

But in you're case it's not even an "eat more to weigh less" issue, you're a man and you just have to eat more because science.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Any time you make changes to your routine, including adding more calories, you need to give your body a few weeks to adjust and release the excess fluid it's holding onto right now. Three days is not enough time to decide it's not working.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Looking over your diary, you're probably eating too much. Generic entries/cups instead of weights/incomplete days...you need to be accurate with your logging. 1000 is too low for most people, and 1500 is borderline too low for a male (it's lower than what I eat), but you're most likely exceeding those amounts.
  • afclong
    Options
    Thanks ardita, just on a bit of a downer shouldnt of jumped on the scales before bed!
    really have been putting a lot of effort in tho for not a great deal back, x
  • arditarose
    Options
    Can someone post those awesome threads for people who are starting out? The sexy pants one and stuff? I am bad at technology and lazy.
  • arditarose
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you were truly eating 1000 calories you would be losing weight.

That's also true. Which, he has. But he's also only been eating 1000 in his mind, probably closer to 1500-1800 if we measure the food. Hopefully.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks ardita, just on a bit of a downer shouldnt of jumped on the scales before bed!
    really have been putting a lot of effort in tho for not a great deal back, x

Keep your weigh-ins consistent. We tend to weigh about 5 pounds heavier in the evenings. Weighing at different times of day is a recipe for disappointment!
  • afclong
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Looking over your diary, you're probably eating too much. Generic entries/cups instead of weights/incomplete days...you need to be accurate with your logging. 1000 is too low for anyone, and 1500 is borderline too low for a male (it's lower than what I eat), but you're most likely exceeding those amounts.

know wqhat ya saying here my diary isnt strict as should be i avnt logged drinks but have only drank water & tea, but seriously some days i cheat adding items i haventr add trying to avoid the low calorie warnings on MFP
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm outtie
  • afclong
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you were truly eating 1000 calories you would be losing weight.

I am losing weight! ? why would i lie about it? myt 2nd week i was averaging 800 cals a day
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here you go, read the first post in this thread to help you get on the right path:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest
  • arditarose
    Options
    Why is your comment in the quote. I hope he sees it.