Nothing tastes as good as fit feels....

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't know, the giant cookie I purchased with my lunch (salad) yesterday tasted pretty good
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Trust me, that Oreo is not the enemy - and it's effing delicious.
    :laugh: See this is where you're wrong. Oreo's are rank. They have such a cheap nasty after taste. Nope nope nope. Step away from the evils of Oreos. Have something far nicer instead like the traditional bourbon biscuit. Now that is a biscuit worth scoffing :D

(The rest I agree with.)

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    False dilemma.
  • mustloseweight2015
    mustloseweight2015 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good grief, I hate that saying. A lot of things taste better than skinny feels (just ask Jennifer Lawrence). For instance...cake, cookies, brownies, ice cream, pasta, fried chicken, cheese, french fries, etc. What's great is that you can be "skinny" (if that's what you want to be; I'd rather be strong, hot, and fit) and still eat all of those things. I certainly still eat those things and still managed to drop nearly 30 lbs. That quote is just pushing the completely false notion that delicious, high-calorie foods are the enemy and they're not. We can't blame food here. The food itself isn't the reason we get fat - it's the amount of it that we ate; it's our lack of willpower and our skewed idea of what a portion actually is.

I also hate the saying, "Eat to live. Don't live to eat." That's just stupid. We ALL eat to live, but we can enjoy food as well without being obese. Plenty of people manage to do this. It's when you completely deny yourself foods you love that you set yourself up for failure. Trust me, that Oreo is not the enemy - and it's effing delicious. Just don't eat the whole pack.

IIFYM. No food is off limits.

False dilemma.

Okay so this post has generated some passionate responses like the ones above. My intention was not to blame the food or promote total denial or anything like that. I'm at a place on my journey where I am unable to stick with moderation. I thought this quote will help me stay motivated to avoid foods until I'm at a place where I can actually practice moderation. I was feeling motivated and excited so I shared it. Clearly, it was a bad idea because there seem to be too many people opposed to this quote.....

I wish people would understand not everyone is at the point where they can successfully practice moderation. Sometimes it may help to quit something cold turkey for a while....Just because you can practice moderation successfully, it doesn't mean everyone else can.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as a box of Cheez-its while watching Biggest Loser
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I never liked that quote as I believe you can have your cake, eat it and still be fit! lol
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Read this quote somewhere. Haven't felt thin in sometime, but I remember how it great felt when I was thinner and more fit!! Trying to stay motivated to give up (reduce) tasty treats to eventually feel thin!!! :)
    On that note, Happy Wednesday everyone.....stay on track!!!
    So true!
    People willingly trade optimal health for the fleeting pleasures of junk foods.
    I was that guy but no more!

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I never understood this. Are you saying someone can't be fit and eat chocolate? Are you saying that if I eat chocolate that I will immediately turn into a mush of fat with no muscle?

Oh, and Happy National Chocolate Day!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am fit and food still taste awesome. In fact I can eat more now than I ever did and my diary would make a clean eater faint
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Good grief, I hate that saying. A lot of things taste better than skinny feels (just ask Jennifer Lawrence). For instance...cake, cookies, brownies, ice cream, pasta, fried chicken, cheese, french fries, etc. What's great is that you can be "skinny" (if that's what you want to be; I'd rather be strong, hot, and fit) and still eat all of those things. I certainly still eat those things and still managed to drop nearly 30 lbs. That quote is just pushing the completely false notion that delicious, high-calorie foods are the enemy and they're not. We can't blame food here. The food itself isn't the reason we get fat - it's the amount of it that we ate; it's our lack of willpower and our skewed idea of what a portion actually is.

I also hate the saying, "Eat to live. Don't live to eat." That's just stupid. We ALL eat to live, but we can enjoy food as well without being obese. Plenty of people manage to do this. It's when you completely deny yourself foods you love that you set yourself up for failure. Trust me, that Oreo is not the enemy - and it's effing delicious. Just don't eat the whole pack.

False dilemma.

Okay so this post has generated some passionate responses like the ones above. My intention was not to blame the food or promote total denial or anything like that. I'm at a place on my journey where I am unable to stick with moderation. I thought this quote will help me stay motivated to avoid foods until I'm at a place where I can actually practice moderation. I was feeling motivated and excited so I shared it. Clearly, it was a bad idea because there seem to be too many people opposed to this quote.....

I wish people would understand not everyone is at the point where they can successfully practice moderation. Sometimes it may help to quit something cold turkey for a while....Just because you can practice moderation successfully, it doesn't mean everyone else can.

For me, I "learned" moderation by not having a lot of my trigger foods around the house. But, I'll buy a single serving of something while I'm out; we'll go to gelato with friends, and I'll get 3oz, or I get one cookie from the bakery instead of a bag from the grocery aisle. It's more expensive (I also hate spending money), but it forced me to adapt to what a serving was and how I could consider that "enough" for me. Now, I have 3 containers of ice cream in the freezer, and I measure out one serving and have no problem stopping there (even though it's about a third of what I used to eat).
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I <3 food.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am someone who can't eat certain foods in moderation, so I don't eat them at all (any type of dessert food, for instance). I feel like dessert foods are like an old boyfriend -- I loved them once but now that we've broken up, I don't ever want to go back.

My philosophy is to listen to my body when I eat. If I find myself wanting seconds even though I know I'm full, I don't eat that food any more. Foods that trigger me to want to eat more than I need are more trouble than they are worth, no matter how tasty they seem.

If you are struggling with moderation, it could be the food, not your willpower. Eliminating triggers from your diet may help.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I dunno, my mom's homemade chocolate cake with buttercream frosting is so good I could eat it all the time. Even if they had to grease down the door frame to get me out of the room I'd still be pretty happy.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

False dilemma.

For me, I "learned" moderation by not having a lot of my trigger foods around the house. But, I'll buy a single serving of something while I'm out; we'll go to gelato with friends, and I'll get 3oz, or I get one cookie from the bakery instead of a bag from the grocery aisle. It's more expensive (I also hate spending money), but it forced me to adapt to what a serving was and how I could consider that "enough" for me. Now, I have 3 containers of ice cream in the freezer, and I measure out one serving and have no problem stopping there (even though it's about a third of what I used to eat).

Agreed. It took me a lonnnggggg time to get here, but I now celebrate the fact that I can have 1 or even 2 tubs of ice cream in the freezer and actually forget that I have them. And when I remember, I always scoop out the serving size only.

Like I said, it took me a long time to get to this place. There was a time where I simply did not buy ice cream because I would eat all at once or simply eat too much. Don't get down about that OP. Only you know what you can handle right now, and it's okay if you have to moderate by just not buying it at all at this point. Eventually, the habits you're building will be strong enough that you can trust yourself around those types of high calorie foods.
  • mustloseweight2015
    Options

False dilemma.

Agreed. It took me a lonnnggggg time to get here, but I now celebrate the fact that I can have 1 or even 2 tubs of ice cream in the freezer and actually forget that I have them. And when I remember, I always scoop out the serving size only.

Like I said, it took me a long time to get to this place. There was a time where I simply did not buy ice cream because I would eat all at once or simply eat too much. Don't get down about that OP. Only you know what you can handle right now, and it's okay if you have to moderate by just not buying it at all at this point. Eventually, the habits you're building will be strong enough that you can trust yourself around those types of high calorie foods.

Thanks!! I hope I can get to that place some day. For now, I just have to avoid those foods in order to stay on track.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

False dilemma.

Ha, I now have the problem that I come home and my boyfriend tells me he's bought more ice cream. I get huffy because too much ice cream means less space in the freezer. Nope, he ate all of a container and replaced it, but then I'm sad that I didn't have any from the previous one. This is only a true concern when they start phasing out limited time things. If he eats all my pumpkin again, we're going to have words!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I hate that quote so much. It is used a lot in the pro ana/ED world to remind themselves not to eat.
  • mustloseweight2015
    Options
    I hate that quote so much. It is used a lot in the pro ana/ED world to remind themselves not to eat.

If you hate it then just ignore it. No one is imposing it on you! :)
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    IHateThinkingOfAUsername Posts: 568 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ha, I now have the problem that I come home and my boyfriend tells me he's bought more ice cream. I get huffy because too much ice cream means less space in the freezer. Nope, he ate all of a container and replaced it, but then I'm sad that I didn't have any from the previous one. This is only a true concern when they start phasing out limited time things. If he eats all my pumpkin again, we're going to have words!

You are totally not alone in that!! Last weekend we had a Dominos, and because we'd spent over £25 we got a free tub of B&J Phish Food (THE best). I scooped out my bit, handed it to my husband who would have finished the rest off if my face handed looked so crest fallen! The idea of only having one serving out of it made me sad lol. Luckily for him (ha) he made the right decision and we finished it off the next night. :D