Frustrated!

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    If yr not measuring and weighing foods, and yr not logging high calorie drinks, then that right there is the problem. You are eating and drinking *way* more calories than you think.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    ... why is your husband trying to control how or whether you measure your food? It's YOUR body. Get the scale and if he doesn't like it he doesn't have to use it. And the other measurement is, of course, with measuring cups and spoons. It depends on what you are measuring. You can't put a steak in a measuring cup; you need the scale.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    shaun603 wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »

Wrong answer. Calorie deficit is completely and utterly where it is at.

So the quality of those calories means nothing?

For weight loss.... nothing. 'Calorie deficit = weight loss' is the formula, not 'Nice calories - horrible calories = weight loss'
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    How can I estimate without weighing. I cannot afford a scale at moment.

When I was losing weight, I could afford a scale, but never needed one. If in doubt, overestimate calories in.
  • shaun603
    Options

For weight loss.... nothing. 'Calorie deficit = weight loss' is the formula, not 'Nice calories - horrible calories = weight loss'

I disagree. Weight loss doesn't always mean fat loss, a lot of people can lose muscle fibers as well, on a deficit. You need to balance a healthy diet for your whole life. Why not learn to do that and at the same time promote healthy fat loss.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing for you to do is to set your calorie goal lower (don't go below 1200 net though). Try that for a week and see how your weight goes.
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MFP says 1530. Please check out my page (look for poofersgrl) to see what I mean. I start at 1530, my food today is 1270 and exercise is 161. Which leaves 421 left. So should I leave about 100-300 left or less?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    If you had a 12oz can of coke each day, that is about 220cals, then an 8oz glass of juice is another 100+ calories, thats over 300 right there that you aren't logging. Everything that enters your mouth, you need to log. Get a food scale, if you want to snack on an apple, weigh the apple. If you cook frozen vegetables, measure/weigh them, there's 60 calories in 2/3 cup bird's eye frozen mixed vegetables without any sauce. So example, you have 1 can of soda, 1 glass of juice, and 2/3 cup of frozen vegetables that you didn't log, that's over 400 calories that you consumed that you didn't take into account. It's very easy to go over your daily limit if you don't track every single thing you put into your mouth.

100% this! You have to count everything! Did you not know that they have calories? It's right on the label....
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight at all for the first three weeks. Then I lost nine pounds in two weeks. Now, I am not losing any weight again, but I know that in two weeks, I'll have dropped more.

Give yourself at least three months in order to learn your body rhythms. Think of losing weight as a lifestyle, not a quick fix.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How can I estimate without weighing. I cannot afford a scale at moment.

You can get a kitchen scale for the price of a value meal... they run from $10-$50. Very affordable.
  • eldamiano
    Options

I disagree. Weight loss doesn't always mean fat loss, a lot of people can lose muscle fibers as well, on a deficit. You need to balance a healthy diet for your whole life. Why not learn to do that and at the same time promote healthy fat loss.

Well, for the purpose of this conversation, you are asking two separate questions, and as a result, giving the wrong answer to the question in hand. You have kind of admitted this in your last post.... although you cant disagree that calorie deficit = weight loss. This is just biological fact.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You really do have to weigh your servings. Did you know that, by law, packaged foods can be as much as 20% off? Food manufacturers get less flak from regulators if the packages are overfilled rather than underfilled. Remember that: you *could* be eating up to 20% more than you think you are.

You can always get a cheap, $13 scale at Walmart/Target. Make sure you tare (reset) the weight when you put your plate or bowl on it. It's also easy to do with the container of butter, and the negative number shown is how much you removed and the number you log. If it's tough to keep track of the numbers until you can log them, just keep a pad of paper nearby.

I've also challenged myself to see whether I can make do with a half-serving of butter, PB, etc. It's surprising how much I was using before!
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    I think I will get an inexpensive scale soon. I also like to snack on items since my stomach growls alot...lol I have 321 calories left for today. Should I stop eating and just log it as finished? I am starving at moment. Haven't had my lunch yet. lol
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MFP says 1530. Please check out my page (look for poofersgrl) to see what I mean. I start at 1530, my food today is 1270 and exercise is 161. Which leaves 421 left. So should I leave about 100-300 left or less?

Think of your calorie goal like it's a game on The Price Is Right. You want to get as close to the number as possible without going over. MFP gave you a calorie goal with a deficit already built in.

The problem that you are having though is that you are not logging everything and what you do log isn't very accurate. A food scale is your best bet because you need to be as accurate as possible since you have a smaller deficit. Even with measuring cups it can be easy to go over without knowing it.

And for the one saying that the food scale advice isn't helpful while the macro advice is, how is she supposed to know if she's hitting her macros if she's not measuring her food accurately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Take three weeks and just clean up your logging. Get a cheapie kitchen scale and weigh all your solids, measure all your liquids with a measuring cup/spoon, and log every single bite or sip that goes into your mouth. Don't change anything else yet. At this point, you don't need to adjust your calorie goal or your exercise yet, just focus on learning how to weigh/measure and log. That tends to be the thing that makes the biggest difference for people in terms of their weight loss, but it does take a little while at the beginning to really get the hang of it.

In terms of increasing your exercise (you don't have to, but if you want to), try standing up instead of sitting down while you're hanging out at home or watching TV or whatever. Walk back and forth across the room during commercial breaks, or if you're walking to the bathroom, take a lap or two around the house first. Keep doing the Leslie Sansone videos, but try to incorporate more movement throughout your day too.
  • shireeniebeanie
    Options
    You don't have to stop eating! Just go for a walk and earn some more calories. Moving around makes you feel good about yourself, get some fresh air, and you get to eat MORE FOOD. Starving yourself is the fastest way to make yourself quit or binge.

As far as logging veggies: I use lazy measurements with something that has almost no calories, like a cucumber, but very precise when it comes to everything else. You can save a lot of money by buying a large package of almonds, for example, then measuring and pre-portioning into snack-size baggies or tiny containers so they're ready to grab and go.

For whatever barriers you have, find solutions. If you can't seem to keep on top of refilling and cleaning out your water bottles and your water tastes terrible (my issues), then buy and recycle. I started being able to drink TONS more water by using the sugar-free water flavoring drops and the cheap bottled water from Costco. Staying hydrated is crucial to weight loss!

To address the calories/health issue: look, we'd all like to do it all perfectly, but don't put so much pressure on yourself to get it all right from the beginning. That's where we fail. So at first, just make sure you're drinking enough water and logging everything you eat accurately. Work on staying within your calories. Get all of that down, and eventually you can start finding ways to add more healthy stuff into your diet.
  • shireeniebeanie
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself if you do go over a little bit. Remember: the number you're given is ALREADY a deficit. If your goal is set to 1lb/week, that's 500cal/day.

For example, 2100 burn-500 deficit = 1600 goal. If you get to 1650, heck, you're still 450 in deficit! Good job!
    If you get all the way to 2100, you're not gonna gain. You had a maintenance day. You broke even. Not bad!
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    my goal is .05 lb per week. I have 1530 per day...today I logged 161 calories from exercise.Logged all my food for the day (incl. glass of wine tonight) and have 196 left. Should I stop? I work M-F 3-6 and on my feet chasing kids...lol (preschool) Should I wear my pedometer to work to track calories burned during that time? How can I log that?
  • IgorFigscreed
    IgorFigscreed Posts: 12
    edited October 2014
    Options
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE SCIENTIFICALLY ILLITERATE INTERNET FITNESS AIR HEADS...

YOUR BODY FIGHTS YOU TOOTH AND NAIL REGARDING YOUR OVERALL WEIGHT AND FAT MASS. AND THE IDEAS HELD BY THESE INTERNET IDIOTS HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO BE A VERY INCORRECT VIEW BY SCIENCE...

DR. JEFFREY FRIEDMAN'S WORK