confusion/newbie stuff

Options
2»

Replies

• nhguy78
    nhguy78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't think my problem, then, isn't stimulating muscle. I think I need to focus on proper nutrition. I've been afraid of getting fat when eating more.

Along those lines, do you eat less food on rest days or do you keep everything the same?

Also, how long do you keep the bulk phase going?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    nhguy78 wrote: »
    I don't think my problem, then, isn't stimulating muscle. I think I need to focus on proper nutrition. I've been afraid of getting fat when eating more.

Along those lines, do you eat less food on rest days or do you keep everything the same?

Also, how long do you keep the bulk phase going?

I tend to eat a little more on lifting days, specifically starchy carbs. It's not necessary, though, as your body doesn't know if it's 11 pm one day or 1 am the next. Just try to maintain an overall surplus and, if in doubt, and a protein shake with a banana.

The period of time you choose to bulk is up to you. You can pick a time period or a final goal weight. For example, I picked an amount of time last year (20 weeks) and ended up gaining 6 lbs. Learned a lot from that experience and am now aiming for 10-15 lbs in that same time period.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Many people have one of two mentalities about bulking: former fat boy syndrome, or former skinny guy syndrome. FFBs are afraid of getting too fat and FSGs are afraid of getting too skinny and refuse to cut. Don't worry, the fat will come off again after the bulk, so don't minimize gains because of fear. However, do be sane about it and eat at a modest surplus (250-500 calories).
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    A lot of people think that you do not need cardio. For looking good by building muscle, sure you dont really need it. But keep in mind that if you put on more weight from building muscle, you need to work your heart because thats additional strain. It matters!! You only need 30 minutes/day to take care of your cardiovascular system.
    The impact that heavy lifting has on your cardiovascular system is just a beneficial as running or cardio. No you don't need cardio.

This, do supersets or 30 reps of medium weight squats in between sets and we'll see if you don't get your cardiovascular system in good working order.