Thermogenics... what? and how? yes or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Seeing as how ephedrine is illegal and amphetamine requires a prescription for attention problems or narcolepsy, I don't think those two could be in the product. I'd venture caffeine is in there just because it's in virtually every energy boost supplement and accounts for most 'non-placebo' effects. Caffeine is a drug, a mild one at that. High doses will wear you out in no time. Besides, smilar drugs - that is, drugs which increase energy - are invariably stimulants. You can argue this all day, but reality is unless you're a competitive athlete it doesn't make whole lot of sense using pre-workout supplements' You can get a good energy boost by eating a piece of fruit with little bit of protein and oatmeal.

You avoided every single question I asked you. How about you go back and do that.
    You now say drugs that increase energy are stimulants but you don't even say what drugs are in the product.

Why keep mentioning ephedrine and amphetamines if it's not even in the product?

Why isn't caffeine banned if it's a drug?

Not sure what you're arguing here. Caffeine is a drug just like alcohol or ASA. Neither are illegal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Thermogenics means drugs. They work. Once you're off the weight comes back on. Then you say one more time. Then, because the most effective ones are semi-addictive stimulants, you end up addicted. Simple?
    Well let's make sure we're accurate here. They aren't "drugs" since they'd be monitored by the FDA and thermogenics aren't. They are "watched" by the DSHEA which makes them a supplement.
    Thermogenics are nothing more than a stimulant and some other ingredients thrown together to make an exhorbitant amount of money for the seller. Very little fat burn is attributed to them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Caffeine, ephedrine, amphetamine. Kill appetite, give you loads of energy increase your metabolic rate. Once you're off the same effects... in reverse.
    Caffeine isn't in the same class of drug as ephedrine and amphetamines, hence caffeine isn't monitored the same way. There are OTC drugs that can be bought, but as I mentioned, thermogenics AREN'T monitored by the FDA which is why they have the disclaim on them. So they are considered a supplement which isn't classed as a drug.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• philosophersnark
    Options
    Semantics man made agencies man made classifications nature endogenous exogenous..whew. Op, your sense of critical thinking is good; the 'thermogenic' probably works if there's a lot of scrutiny on it. For that matter, most of these compounds that work were made by some pharmaceutical company in a lab. If it's an obscure herb don't waste ur money. If it's a shaded gray supplement w a lot of warnings and when you look it up it was cooked up by big pharma.. he'll it prob works. At the same time prob not safe for you. You decide.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Semantics man made agencies man made classifications nature endogenous exogenous..whew. Op, your sense of critical thinking is good; the 'thermogenic' probably works if there's a lot of scrutiny on it. For that matter, most of these compounds that work were made by some pharmaceutical company in a lab. If it's an obscure herb don't waste ur money. If it's a shaded gray supplement w a lot of warnings and when you look it up it was cooked up by big pharma.. he'll it prob works. At the same time prob not safe for you. You decide.

"Big pharma" huh? You've outed yourself.
    Labs are cool.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is, of course, a drug. So is Benadryl. So are Aleve and Motrin and Tylenol.

Bath salts are a drug, but in some states are still not considered a drug and remain legal. Hard to classify things that continually change their properties. They are the scariest drug out there right now and in some places continue to be sold in gas stations and convenience stores. Kids were showing up in the ED with permanently fried brains for YEARS before the government began to figure out that maybe something ought to be done,

As the slow-pokes worked (and continue to work all these years later) to classify and make them illegal, the guys selling them are working to sell them as energy boosters, at which point the game will begin again. Then they'll call them "decorative sand" or something else.

Do not rely on the legal/illegal status, lol. Do not rely on whether the government has figured out that something is dangerous. They aren't super-bright and are very, very slow.

If you doctor doesn't tell you to take it, don't take it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    U don't need those silly pills. Just keep on taking breaks and eventually u won't need as many as ur endurance increases. :)
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    SWEETMAY84 wrote: »
    Reading about this specific product, it has this thing that the FDA seems to be trying to ban, 1,3 Dimethylamylamine ? (probably killed this one) is that what you refer to addictive? I would use it just because of all the warnings around it...
    wouldn't **
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I tried out a thermogenic in college for a couple weeks... it made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack, I assumed that meant bad news for my body and dumped the rest out.