Anyone else have trouble with CHEESE?!

Options

Replies

• kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you simply want to limit it, limit the amount you buy. I only buy cheese as part of a ready prepared meal, or in a apples/grapes/cheese combo pack.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    liahna wrote: »
    I'm not looking to completely cut it out, I just need to learn how to stop using it as a calorie filler. I suck at thinking of stuff to eat. Haha. If I'm not careful sometimes in the past I didn't eat enough.

I still don't understand. If you've had trouble not eating enough, what's the problem with using cheese to meet your calorie goals? Just, eat real cheese and not the fake stuff.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Nope, never had issues with cheese. It has always been sweet things that were my problem. I would rather turn to a few thin slices of gouda or edam each evening than a bar of dairy milk or cookies. More filling and healthier, imo.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have it every day. To me, it is well worth the calories and I will never give it up. As with most things, moderation and log it. Gotta have it. Just the way it is.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    For those who said no meat and cheese together-I could never give up my parmeseano reggiano atop my spaghetti and meat sauce or my gruyere atop my hamburger or no cheese in my meat lasagna! It would be a crime!
    Just make sure you have it in reasonable portion within your calorie goal
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day. The trick for me is to only eat good cheese, and also to eat whisper small bites...Seriously, don't eat those "dice sized cubes" that get you up to an ounce in one mouthful! Invest in a cheese plane and cut slices so thin you can practically see through them. (this is obviously only a practical trick for hard cheese!) Hold each slice in your mouth, feel it melt on your tongue, savor the taste and the creamy cheesy goodness. Seriously, most of my dire cheese cravings are satisfied with half an ounce or less.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yo i will never give up cheese. I cant. I just have to work harder inother areas to make up for it. compromise :D
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I big fat heart cheese and could probably give up anything else in my diet before that. I did begin to make some limitations though. As others have said, I mostly just have good quality cheese. Sharp, dry, or strong cheeses seem to go further taste-wise as well. An ounce of asiago is so much more rich than an ounce of cheddar. I also make sure that if I'm going to eat it, I want to really savor it. I no longer add cheese to eggs or most salads- blue cheese crumbles being the exception because it sort of gets lost. I'm not a complete cheese snob though. I do find that the Cabot 50% light cheddar snack packs (50 calories) will often satisfy a cheese craving and be a great snack between meals. I stay far away from all other "light" cheeses though. Especially weight watchers. Eww- it doesn't even resemble cheese.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with portions sometimes. I love making cheese quesadilla, nachos, sandwiches, and sometimes put it in my soup! I mostly eat Kirkland Sharp cheddar, and pepper jack. I don't know if cottage cheese counts, but I eat that too.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Since we're discussing favourite cheeses, I love a variety of cheese but some of my all-time faves include:

Hard Cheeses:
    • Sharp, aged cheddar (Perron is particularly good)
    • Smoked gouda

Semi-Soft Cheeses:
    Soft Cheeses:
    And of course, nothing beats a good Raclette.

I also love the blog CheeseLover.ca: cheeseloverca.wordpress.com/

Mmmm. Now I want cheese.
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes to cheese. I sprinkle 1oz of crumbled blue cheese on my salads every day as of late. Better than cheddar because I can actually taste its awesomeness.

Just weigh out the cheese you want to eat, make sure it stays in the serving size on the package and in your macros and eat away.

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with cheese; if I eat it late at night I get crazy dreams. :fearful: But it's delicious.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Seriously, how has Wallace not made it into this thread yet?!
    header-wallace3.jpg

I love cheese, and I now tend to go for fuller flavored cheeses when I can, and I no longer just snack on cheese unless it's in stick or cube form (pre-measured), and I make it fit in my calorie goal.

ETA: I find that the flavor of goat cheese goes a long way, so I've started incorporating it into a lot of my dishes.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    i don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get cheese out of my diet successfully. It always creeps up on me and gets me in the end. I can't seem to go even a day without eating it. Anyone else have this as their weakness?

Me - I now rarely eat it, but I used to buy single portion cheese to help me maintain control. I love, love, love cheese - but it is calorie dense so I cannot eat that much without going over my calories or ending up hungry.

• ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE cheese. I hear constantly about how bad it is for me because of the high fat content, so I've learned a few tricks. If I really need cheese, I try to go for the low-fat, string-cheese sticks. One is just enough to satisfy that craving. Or, I make it a point to incorporate it into one meal a week, rather than every meal (which is what we had been doing for a long time). This way, I still get the cheese I love (especially being from Wisconsin), but I don't get too much of it.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love cheese. Not a problem.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with portions sometimes. I love making cheese quesadilla, nachos, sandwiches, and sometimes put it in my soup! I mostly eat Kirkland Sharp cheddar, and pepper jack. I don't know if cottage cheese counts, but I eat that too.

Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein. I love cheese - the little baby bells make great snacks. Had a port infused cheddar on the weekend that was awesome. YOu just have to watch your portions because it adds up quickly.

But life is way too short to cut anything out entirely.
  • MystifiedFluff
    MystifiedFluff Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love cheese... Cheddar, Ricotta, Gouda, Feta... I could do a whole Monty Python skit listing all the cheeses I enjoy, lol. I did have to start cutting down a smidge since my doctor said my cholesterol was 'a tad on the high side', but eliminate it? I think I'd rather stop pretty much anything else.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I <3 cheese. As long as it's ooey, gooey, and melted cheese. I could live off of pizza - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Now I'm hungry again...