Favorite Snacks You Have Abandoned haha

Options

Replies

• cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I haven't really "abandoned" snack foods I used to enjoy. I just don't have them if they don't fit into my allocated calories for the day. For instance, Pepsi. Oh my God did I ever love Pepsi! 3 cans a day to be exact. But, I came to the realization that Pepsi = empty calories. I'd rather have something I can enjoy that will give me energy. Some of my favorite snacks I try to avoid now are: Sour Patch Kids, chocolate chip cookies & salt and vinegar chips!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I've cut down, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I've cut things out. I still enjoy a soda now and then, and I enjoy other things, but I'm more aware of what I'm eating, and plan my day for it. I like to say I may not give a damn about what comes out of my mouth, but I do care about what goes into it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Can't think of anything I've omitted, really. Lots of things I eat less frequently. I eat a lot less bread and pasta than I used to, but I still eat them.

I did pick up a snack, though. Oreos. Haven't eaten them in years (nothing to do with losing weight). Saw a post on them and for some reason they just stayed in my mind. So I bought some. A package of lemon, a package of peanut butter creme, and a box of double-stuf snack packs. I'd never had the flavored ones, just the original. Really like the flavored versions, and I'm not having trouble limiting myself to 2-3 a day. The filling is really satisfying to me. Never used to be.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Nothing. If I want it, I eat it, but not as much in one sitting as I used to.
  • MaggieMooze
    MaggieMooze Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. I have been ice cream free for almost 2 months now... I didn't think I could live without it but I guess I was wrong :). I don't even crave it anymore
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Jelly beans and beer for now. Some days I still miss them. I also have given up taking candy from the office bowl. I walk by it everyday about 8 times. It hardly ever calls my name now. I occasionally look at it, mentally calculate the calories and think if it's worth it. Some days they even get in my hand while doing the calculation. I put them back and say next time they will be worth it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I guess one thing is that I don't really snack on a regular basis, in the sense of eating when it's not mealtime. But I have not abandoned any favorite foods. I have stopped eating lots of snacks (and other foods) that were merely okay or simply there. I used to eat one or two of those a day, at least. I also have limited some other foods to once in a while or smaller portions.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts, Red Bull, coffee, and Starbucks. Gotta have money for new clothes if this plan works, right?
  • TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cereal, pretty much any kind. And I would eat it by the handful from the box. But after realizing what a portion of it was I would much rather have something that isn't 50% sugar and not filling at all.

That and I've started buying smaller blocks of cheese and only allowing myself to eat it with one meal a day. The smaller blocks are more expensive, but I would eat way to much of it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Cake, brownies, tortilla chips and donuts were the hardest. Now, it's just the donuts...when I pass them by, they still call my name. The rest of it doesn't bother me.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. I used to eat a pint twice a week, and could have eaten more. I just cannot control myself around it, so I have to skip it all together. I do let myself have a serving size of frozen yogurt once a week for cheat meal dessert though!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    When I first started this a couple years ago I turned my back on sugary and sodium-laden treats. Very restrictive. Over time I've been reintroducing some of my favorites (a jar of Nutella once again graces the shelf in my pantry and a pint of my favorite ice cream is in the freezer), to be eaten occasionally and in moderation. Back in the day, that pint of ice cream would have been consumed in one sitting! What I've found is I don't care anymore for a lot of what I used to eat. Most chips I find too salty, I don't seem to crave chocolate candy like I used to, I'd just as soon have ice water than soda. I used to inhale Hot Tamales. Had a couple the other day and meh. Definitely not worth the calories. For me, I had such a horrible eating track record (top known weight was 350) scaling back on the treats for a while really did help me learn how to appreciate and even enjoy more nutritional foods, and once I got a grip on my eating issues, how to enjoy a treat now and then.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Beets
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Chips, croissants, brioche - ok I haven't abandoned them completely but I have some maybe a couple times a year, if that, because it just doesn't fill you up for the calories.

• abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Nothing really, although I only have chips and salsa when I go out to dinner because if there was a whole bag in the house there would be a problem.

I have to add, I am really impressed with myself this week because my grandparents sent me Halloween cookies and I have only eaten one a night...old me would have had that tray polished off in about 10 minutes, lol
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I became vegan September 2013, which also coincided when I started intentionally losing weight, though before that there were some favorite childhood snacks that I had avoided for years because I knew how many calories were in them. So, in conjunction with not having animal products AND watching my calories and other macros, luckily it eliminated a lot of tempting snacks I'd have regularly.

But, before I was vegan, I'd indulge in my old favorites -- cheetos (regular and hot) and various other kinds of chips, starburst, those sour string/tube candies/snacks (i can't even remember the name of them now! lol), gushers, cookies, pastries, bread and butter, or bread/crackers and cheese (and a few servings of both in one sitting at that).

Poptarts used to be at the top of my list when I was a kid. I'd have a pack nearly every single day (I'm sure there were days when I ate two packs in one day), in addition to other snacks such as fruit roll-ups, gushers, quaker chewy granola bars, chocolate, ice cream. When I was a kid I just didn't know any better!

Edited to add CHEEZ-ITS! Damn those things are addicting.
  • abagail101
    abagail101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    cheezies is the killer for me and cheese. Ive learned to weigh my cheese out and only eat hard quality cheese. I cant drink milk and yogurt mostly bothers my stomach so I eat cheese. I learned to portion out my high calorie fat foods and go heavier on my veggies ive lost 30lbs. I had a bit of a set back I had surgery, but Ill be back on the bike in a few weeks :).
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Cadbury fruit & nut bars. Once I start, I can't stop. Seriously. Can't stop :s I'm better off to not have any, then I don't crave them. If I have a chocolate craving, I have 5 Camino chocolate chips 71% cacao for like 30 calories (they are tiny) and can repeat dose as necessary ;)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The only thing i've really given up was the wonder winder laces (candy). 370 calories each and i used to woof two down in 10 mins.....see ya!
  • LightMyCandle
    LightMyCandle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I won’t give up the booze. I just count every ounce and make it work into my plan. What I have been a bit more cautious about are nuts and avocados. Yes, they’re healthy and I still eat them, but much less. Those healthy calories add up quick. So yeah, I guess I’m saying I’m cutting the healthy calories so I can have the naughty calories in alcohol, but I’m trying to keep it all in moderation. :)