Options

Replies

• Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    1. you are not eating enough
    2. you need to get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything
    3. if you are not losing right now it is either water retention or inaccurate logging
    4. it has only been seven days.it usually takes your body about two to three weeks to adapt to any change….

This guy is 100% correct on every point. A food scale is going to be your most valuable tool. Dont use measuring cups to measure solids, you need to use a food scale. $20 at your local grocery store...and yes give it time!
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    weekly reduce your calories or up your excercise ever so slightly, slow and steady wins the race
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    weekly reduce your calories or up your excercise ever so slightly, slow and steady wins the race

OP is a 200 pound male eating 1270 calories a day, assuming that is an accurate number he can't really keep eating less...

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

You're suggesting for a male eating just over 1200 calories to cut back more? No.

OP, it's most likely water weight from the exercise. But you really do need to eat more. I'm female, two inches shorter, and about the same weight (199 pounds) and I lose eating 1600-1800.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    pander101 wrote: »
    Also, it's only been 7 days...

(*)

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I took a peek at a couple of days of your diary, and I am going to guess you are not weighing/measuring your foods, and you are not actually eating 1200 cals. Try focusing on accurately logging, pick a reasonable calorie goal, and give it 3-4 weeks to start working. Good luck :drinker:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    eepeter wrote: »
    I have made my diary public for now. I like to weigh every morning, which I know is wrong. And the scales I use can vary depending on where I position them which is annoying.

Every Sunday at the same time I am going to Boots Pharmacy for a 70p weight in, which measures height/weight/body fat and BMI. MFP said 1470 when I first began, now it says 1270 which confused me but they suggested it was because their formula for calculating has now changed.

I am 5ft 8inch (178 cm), started at 100kg (But I never used MFP then). I measure all food, watch my protein intake and eat over at least once a week.

I have been on this course to weigh loss with life changes, since after I hit 27 birthday in August, I think around 16th September when I weighed in at 99.8kg. I had enough....and here I am now...

Surprisingly I have not found this hard. The biggest change for me was to remove eating as an activity (Meeting with friends for lunch, avoiding buffets and little to no fast food). Currently on a 30 day no Chinese personal challenge.

You have your goal set to lose 2 pounds per week. I know this because, from your stats, your TDEE should be around 2300 at sedentary. Your MFP goal is subtracting 1000 calories from your daily burn. Reset your goals in MFP to lose no more than 1 lb per week (and if you want any chance at building muscle through lifting, set it at .5 lb per week. You won't build much at a deficit, but you can make some newbie gains and build strength).

• eepeter
    eepeter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Everyone has assumed I am not measuring my food. I am. Look at my food diary I keep within the recommended portions on most things. Sometimes I will have 60g instead of 30g of cereal, but that is only if I did not sleep well.

I have a scales in the kitchen, best thing I have ever purchased. If only is recommend a weight loss course, than I would buy them a kitchen scales.

At this point I can only conclude it is water weight because of my new hour walk introduced at lunch, which I started this Monday.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    pander101 wrote: »
    Also, it's only been 7 days...

• eepeter
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advice.

We should start a kickstarter to lend out kitchen scales for weight loss :smile:

Using the first bmi calculator that google finds when you search for 'bmi calculator'. It says for my stats I should be on 2024 Calories a day, so to create a deficit I should be 1500'ish for 1lb loss a week. Is this correct? And if so, then for just under 2lbs loss a week should be around 1200 (Which MFP has set 1270 for).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

We should start a kickstarter to lend out kitchen scales for weight loss :smile:

Using the first bmi calculator that google finds when you search for 'bmi calculator'. It says for my stats I should be on 2024 Calories a day, so to create a deficit I should be 1500'ish for 1lb loss a week. Is this correct? And if so, then for just under 2lbs loss a week should be around 1200 (Which MFP has set 1270 for).

I think you're looking at BMR, not TDEE. BMR is the number of calories your body uses just to keep you alive, if you were in a coma. It includes absolutely no movement. TDEE is the number of calories you burn including normal movement and exercise. That's the number you want to calculate.

• parkscs
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP is a 200 pound male eating 1270 calories a day, assuming that is an accurate number he can't really keep eating less...

If he was truly eating 1200 calories/day for a substantial length of time, he'd be losing weight. Frankly the advice to drop net calories in the face of a plateau is accurate and really the only reasonable advice one can give. Of course, that's all moot because the OP has been "plateaued" for all of 7 days.
  • eepeter
    Options
    Thanks, I had never heard of TDEE before.

*I have a semi-desk / IT Support job.

Your BMI is: 28.8
    Your BMR is: 7935 kJ / 1897 calories
    Your TDEE is: 9522 kJ / 2276 calories

What deficit should I aim for?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Most people subtract either a percentage (10-20%) or a set number (500 per day to lose a pound per week).
  • Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Use this calculator, I find it to be the most accurate and I have pretty good success with it. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • eepeter
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    If he was truly eating 1200 calories/day for a substantial length of time, he'd be losing weight. Frankly the advice to drop net calories in the face of a plateau is accurate and really the only reasonable advice one can give. Of course, that's all moot because the OP has been "plateaued" for all of 7 days.

How long should you be plateaued before you should reduce calories even further? I have read so many different conflicting sides.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Take 15-20% off the 2276. Then the closer you get to goal (about 10-15 pounds to go), drop to 10%.

A plateau is generally 4-6 weeks minimum. If you just introduced exercise this week, then that's why you didn't lose. It's normal to retain water for a variety of reasons.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

How long should you be plateaued before you should reduce calories even further? I have read so many different conflicting sides.

If the scale hasn't moved in 4 weeks, then it's time to reevaluate.
  • parkscs
    Options

Long enough to know you are actually stalled. Even with an aggressive goal of 2 lbs/week, your body weight can fluctuate by at least that much on a weekly basis. If you lost 2 pounds of fat but are retaining 2-3 pounds of water, you've actually made progress but you just can't see it yet on the scale. However, your body cannot continue accumulating more and more water indefinitely, so at some point you will start to see results on the scale if you're truly losing fat. I would say give it 4-6 weeks before you proclaim "plateau."