not losing weight

Options
I have been tracking my calories for about 8 weeks, and for the first few weeks was losing steadily, but over the past four weeks I have stopped losing. I am exercising regularly, and netting less than 1300 calories. (so more than 1300 calories, but accounting for exercise).

I started at 150lbs and am down to 142. My goal is 135.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are eating more than you think or your exercise isn't burning as many calories as you think.
  • sarahcarley
    sarahcarley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am scanning bar codes on food or looking up food on either MFP or company nutrition websites. I am getting exercise calories from MFP.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Using measuring cups/spoons? Do you eat back all/part/some of your exercise calories?
  • xfeyonax
    xfeyonax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This often happens when our body gets into the 'saving' mode. It could be that your metabolism is not working properly, but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem like a crash diet to me. The same happened to me when I started dieting 4 years ago. I lost approximately 6kg the first 2 months and suddenly it stopped. It turned out that my metabolism didn't work properly anymore because I simply wasn't getting enough energy and so my body went into 'save' mode... :neutral_face:
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Weight loss slows down the closer you get to your goal. The "last ten pounds" or in your case 13lbs, are notoriously difficult.

The usual suspects people will tell you are:
    - Under-estimating calorie intake (logging inaccurate)
    - Not calculating TDEE and deficit accurately
    - Over-estimating calorie burn
    - Take measurements as well as weighing
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    It seems like you are losing at a safe rate to me.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine. Are you weighing your food?
  • sarahcarley
    Options
    I am weighing and measuring all my food. I bought a scale and use measuring cups and spoons.

I am eating back part of my exercise calories, but my net stays between 1000-1300. For example, yesterday I ate 1425, and exercised 375, which netted 1051 calories for the day.
  • sarahcarley
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    xfeyonax wrote: »
    This often happens when our body gets into the 'saving' mode. It could be that your metabolism is not working properly, but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem like a crash diet to me. The same happened to me when I started dieting 4 years ago. I lost approximately 6kg the first 2 months and suddenly it stopped. It turned out that my metabolism didn't work properly anymore because I simply wasn't getting enough energy and so my body went into 'save' mode... :neutral_face:

#no
  • MeganZeman
    MeganZeman Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could consider a heart rate monitor to track how many calories you burn during workouts. I have found that I burn far fewer calories than suggested on MFP. As you get fitter you have to up your intensity if you want to continue burning the same amount of calories. I am having the same problem and this is the advice I have been given.
  • pander101
    Options
    Also, you're suppose to adjust calories for every 10lbs you lose if you are using MFP method. For TDEE method I use iifym.com site personally. But it stands for total daily energy expenditure. You do that minus 20%. Don't eat back exercise calories.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? and you lost 8 pounds in 8 weeks...that totals a pound a week. Not too shabby at all
  • pander101
    edited October 2014
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »

#no

Yeah....agreed. No.

• sarahcarley
    Options
    pander101 wrote: »
    Also, you're suppose to adjust calories for every 10lbs you lose if you are using MFP method. For TDEE method I use iifym.com site personally. But it stands for total daily energy expenditure. You do that minus 20%. Don't eat back exercise calories.

so you suggest I stay under 1300 a day and do not account for exercise? So to make sure I understand:
    if I exercise 400 calories, MFP tells me I have 1700 calories available for the day. I should stay under the 1300 to improve the weight loss?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

ahhh...nope

• sarahcarley
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary?

I should be open now.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wendys - French Fry Small, 22.75 g 78 ??? (You ate 2 french fries)?? You have a lot of quick add calories in there, how come? Also are you weighing? How are you coming up with the calories for homemade items?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Watch your sodium...it's been pretty high this week. Remember on high sodium days to try and drinks loads of water.