Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I can't eat more than 1200 calories. No joke.

Hello! I'm struggling to eat more than 1200 calories a day. I've been using the mfp recently and logging everything I eat and I can't seem to get past 1200 on most of the days, some days I just about go over the 1200 I need.
I don't eat anything that says Low fat/low sugar/diet on it, as I know they pump it full of other stuff that's bad for you.
I eat whenever I feel hungry which is how I've always eaten, so I have small meals throughout the day, but since I fell into depression a few months back I can't eat a lot. I'm no longer depressed(whoop) but I still can't seem to eat, yet i've managed to put a stone on during that period of depression.

I know I need around 1500-1600 in total, with 300 calories taken out of that for exercise, for me to lose the weight I need but I'm not even reaching that and I don't want to over exercise myself when I'm barely getting what my body needs.
It's really frustrating me.

Please help :)

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    How did you get up to 8 stone if you can only eat 1200?

Review how you eat, and commit to hitting reasonable goals.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Eat more calorie dense food - peanut butter, avocado nuts etc.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    are you using a food scale?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

Isn't 8 stone only around 112 lbs.? That's not that heavy. I'm around 118-120, and short -- I eat 1200 + exercise calories. If I pick the right mix of foods I'm satisfied with 1200. If OP is very petite, she might not need to eat as much as she thinks.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Don't know what macros you're trying to hit or if you have anything you need to avoid, so generic ideas: Less lean cuts of meat, full fat dairy, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, whole eggs, cheese, nuts or nut butters, breads, pasta, and potatoes, muffins or other baked goods, more condiments, sauces, or higher calorie dressings.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    sioriwish wrote: »
    Hello! I'm struggling to eat more than 1200 calories a day. I've been using the mfp recently and logging everything I eat and I can't seem to get past 1200 on most of the days, some days I just about go over the 1200 I need.
    I don't eat anything that says Low fat/low sugar/diet on it, as I know they pump it full of other stuff that's bad for you.
    I eat whenever I feel hungry which is how I've always eaten, so I have small meals throughout the day, but since I fell into depression a few months back I can't eat a lot. I'm no longer depressed(whoop) but I still can't seem to eat, yet i've managed to put a stone on during that period of depression.

I know I need around 1500-1600 in total, with 300 calories taken out of that for exercise, for me to lose the weight I need but I'm not even reaching that and I don't want to over exercise myself when I'm barely getting what my body needs.
    It's really frustrating me.

Please help :)

You need to focus on more calorie dense foods. Like cottage cheese, peanut butter, nuts, avocados, etc. And don't forget that you can drink calories, too - like OJ or protein shakes - stuff like that. I've been known to eat cookies at the end of the day to get closer to my calorie goal.

I got fat because I drank an extra 1200-1300 calories a day via Dr. Pepper and super sweet coffee, so I get it. I've never been an over-eater and I've never had much of an appetite. It's just something I actively work on every day now (though my Doctor approved an 1100 calorie diet for me, so that's my daily goal now), because it's an important goal.

I also changed up my exercise to be low impact, so my net was a healthy number. I do yoga and I lift weights.

Good luck!
  • sioriwish
    sioriwish Posts: 7
    edited October 2014

I've had two depression issues, one a few years ago where I didnt eat anything, so I went to 6 stone, I went back up to 8 stone after beating it. And then a few months ago I ended up being depressed again due to something else I couldn't eat but I kept putting weight on, so I'm now 10 stone.

I don't know how to review what I eat, how does one do that? I eat as much as I can. And I have reasonable goals, I know this will take a while, I just want advice on how to get more calories in me so I can begin this properly.

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    rosebette wrote: »

Isn't 8 stone only around 112 lbs.? That's not that heavy. I'm around 118-120, and short -- I eat 1200 + exercise calories. If I pick the right mix of foods I'm satisfied with 1200. If OP is very petite, she might not need to eat as much as she thinks.

good point...the 1200 number seems to have taken on a life of it's own. Some "not large" people can do fine on less than the magical 1200
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    rosebette wrote: »

I got that from her profile, which she's already edited out.

Best I can ask is, how did she eat enough to gain 16 pounds? Being that I'm 'merican, I don't know what a stone is.

However, I can math this up... 16 pounds = 56,000 extra calories. If 1200 is too hard on the daily, how did those 56k extra get imbibed?
  • you misread my profile, I said I got up to 8 stone after the first depression as I lost weight with the first depression to 6 stone. I then was with someone that I got comfy with/got into a depression stage with so I've ended up going up to 10 stone because of that, but even during that depression I still barely ate but I've ended up putting on weight cause of it.

I am a petite frame, I'm suppose to be a uk size 6 on my top half, but If i wear size 6 it fits me around my top half perfectly, but not my stomach, if I go to a size 8, it's too big and baggy around my top half to the point of showing my bras off and just about covers my stomach.

I'm British so I know weight in stones not pounds.

I feel like this has just been all misread, and communicated and I apologise for that as I know I'm not the best at explaining things
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014

I've had two depression issues, one a few years ago where I didnt eat anything, so I went to 6 stone, I went back up to 8 stone after beating it. And then a few months ago I ended up being depressed again due to something else I couldn't eat but I kept putting weight on, so I'm now 10 stone.

I don't know how to review what I eat, how does one do that? I eat as much as I can. And I have reasonable goals, I know this will take a while, I just want advice on how to get more calories in me so I can begin this properly.

Reviewing how you eat is something like this:

I look at my diary & see what macros I need more of. Macros are protein, fat, and carbs. I don't eat low fat because I don't have medical issues....but very high fat meals give me heartburn...so guess I'm moderate fat. Again, I don't have medical issues so I eat carbs. I try MEET my protein everyday. If I go over on protein...no biggie. This helps me keep lean muscle.

Micronutrients - I don't track sugar (I don't have medical issues ) but I try to make calories more filling. Fruit is more filling than jelly beans. I track fiber (this is what makes fruit filling). Fiber also makes me focus on whole grains as opposed to processed ones.

I also leave room for snacks. This is a lifestyle change for me. I want to keep the weight loss off - so I need permanent changes. I won't be sugar free, clean eating, or zero snacking for the rest of my life....
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

sioriwish I am not sure you have a dieting issue at all. Can you find a professional person to review what you are eating and health issues that may be underlying causes to you ability to get to a realistic weight?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2014
    Are you accurately weighing everything (solids in grams, liquids with measuring cups) and logging it?
    Are you using accurate database entries?

If so, add calorie dense items: nut butters, avocado, full fat dairy.

• sioriwish I am not sure you have a dieting issue at all. Can you find a professional person to review what you are eating and health issues that may be underlying causes to you ability to get to a realistic weight?

I know my medical issues, none are weight issues.
    I have a realistic weight goal, that's 8 stone. That weight fits my frame perfectly as I am a small framed person.
    I came here to get help as I was told this was a good place for getting help but some comments on here have just left me upset.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Are you using accurate database entries?

true....quite a few of the entries are not even close and sometimes you wonder if the mistakes were intentional or just sloppy additions. I have corrected a few but it's like shoveling water
  • TheVirgoddess

sioriwish I am not sure you have a dieting issue at all. Can you find a professional person to review what you are eating and health issues that may be underlying causes to you ability to get to a realistic weight?

I have a realistic weight goal, that's 8 stone. That weight fits my frame perfectly as I am a small framed person.
    I came here to get help as I was told this was a good place for getting help but some comments on here have just left me upset.

And how much do you weigh now?
  • TheVirgoddess

Also you can choose to focus on the people that are upsetting you (unintentionally I'm sure), or the people who are trying to help. Your call.
  • I have obviously confused you guys with the whole I used to be 6 stone got up to 8, i'm now 10 stone wanting to be back to 8 stone.

Four years ago I got into a depression stage where I couldnt even eat one meal a day, so I went from 8 stone to 6 stone, I then managed to beat that depression and began eating normally so I went from 6 stone to 8 stone.
    But since then, I have had another depression issue where I ended up going to 10 stone from the 8 stone. I have been tracking what I have been eating but I only just about eat 1200.
    I currently weigh 10 stone, i want to be 8 stone.

I will be checking the database entries to see if they are actually correct as some of you have said they're not entirely correct with whats actually in them.
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Also what are you eating? if you really want guidance and support it is very helpful to open up your diary. Good luck!
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Also hopefully you are using exercise and not only diet with your weightless. What we eat and moving our bodies are in my opinion incredibly powerful antidepressants. Not that no one should take meds but for many many people eating really whole foods and moving their body every day does wonders for their depressive symptoms as well as overall health! I know that has been true for me. Wishing you the best!