I just had a chocolate bar (250cals) AM I SCREWED?

Options

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    One thing to think about is that this question displays a pretty unhealthy relationship with food. Part of the "lifestyle change" that will make your eating habits and weightloss sustainable is to develop a healthy relationship with food. Guilt does not enter into it. Guilt is a result of immoral behavior, and there are absolutely no moral judgments with eating (unless you get into sustainability and fair trade and stuff like that).

When you eat, it's neither good nor evil. It merely serves your goal or doesn't. Some foods are more likely to get you to your goal weight, but there are other goals in life, such as to enjoy your presence on the earth, and chocolate not only enhances that, but if you eat good chocolate (ie. not Hershey's type crap) then you also get the benefits of chocolate's flavonols and other healthful compounds.

It becomes so much easier to stick with your calorie goals and not binge when you stop attaching moral judgments to eating. It's not helping you to beat yourself up over a chocolate bar. Even if you go over your calorie goal, all you're doing is delaying reaching your goal, not kicking a puppy. And since losing a pound of fat requires a deficit of 3500 calories, your chocolate bar didn't even delay you losing a whole pound, only a fraction of one. Not nearly as big a deal when you keep it in perspective.
    QFT

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about is that this question displays a pretty unhealthy relationship with food. Part of the "lifestyle change" that will make your eating habits and weightloss sustainable is to develop a healthy relationship with food. Guilt does not enter into it. Guilt is a result of immoral behavior, and there are absolutely no moral judgments with eating (unless you get into sustainability and fair trade and stuff like that).

When you eat, it's neither good nor evil. It merely serves your goal or doesn't. Some foods are more likely to get you to your goal weight, but there are other goals in life, such as to enjoy your presence on the earth, and chocolate not only enhances that, but if you eat good chocolate (ie. not Hershey's type crap) then you also get the benefits of chocolate's flavonols and other healthful compounds.

It becomes so much easier to stick with your calorie goals and not binge when you stop attaching moral judgments to eating. It's not helping you to beat yourself up over a chocolate bar. Even if you go over your calorie goal, all you're doing is delaying reaching your goal, not kicking a puppy. And since losing a pound of fat requires a deficit of 3500 calories, your chocolate bar didn't even delay you losing a whole pound, only a fraction of one. Not nearly as big a deal when you keep it in perspective.
    this
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

^ This. I was going to post, but everything that needs to be said is right there.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Eat in moderation. . No you're not screwed, you can have chocolate every day if you work it into your daily caloric goals, and macros. Log it and move on. If you go over your daily goal every now and again so what. This is a lifestyle change not a diet with an end date. Do not give up now, what you can't give up forever. Moderation is key. Clean eating is only a buzz term. Chill enjoy life stay within your calorie goals. You'll lose weight.
  • fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Very good words. Thanks for posting this!!!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Eat in moderation. . No you're not screwed, you can have chocolate every day if you work it into your daily caloric goals, and macros. Log it and move on. If you go over your daily goal every now and again so what. This is a lifestyle change not a diet with an end date. Do not give up now, what you can't give up forever. Moderation is key. Clean eating is only a buzz term. Chill enjoy life stay within your calorie goals. You'll lose weight.

^This. "Clean eating" isn't responsible for weight loss. Caloric deficit is. "Cheats" or "treats" aren't responsible for weight gain. Excess calories are. Learn to fit the foods you like into your daily intake and drop the guilt.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

If it put you over your limit, then it might be good for you to go for a little jog or something. If not, dont worry about it. Everyone deserves something once in a while.

TRUTH ABOVE!!

• nidhi54
    nidhi54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just maintain calorie level and eat every thing i like to. I had losy 1 kg in 5 days
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I eat candy often. Today had a mini bag of m&ms, the other day a Mounds bar. Its just a little part of the big picture.
  • tia530
    tia530 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    In... to join the "log and move on bunch" geesh; I ate an entire pizza (personal but still) plus desert one day last week, logged it and kept moving, this week, I have practically no appetite with hardly anything to log, I log what bites I am taking, it happens.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tia530 wrote: »
    In... to join the "log and move on bunch" geesh; I ate an entire pizza (personal but still) plus desert one day last week, logged it and kept moving, this week, I have practically no appetite with hardly anything to log, I log what bites I am taking, it happens.

If you believe in yourself and try hard, any size pizza can be a "personal pizza"... :DB)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    There was a time when I could/would eat a whole pizza... maybe even 2 or 3 if I was hungry. Now I only let myself eat a whole pizza on cheat days. I do not have enough extra time to exercise off a whole pizza.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    Do not cave in to the punishment mentality.
    But I like punishment. I run punishment miles if I think I dogged it on a run or didn't eat how I like to eat... I do punishment sets at the gym if I slack during a workout... guilt is a beautiful thing....

• PaiPug
    PaiPug Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ive been on this journey for about 2 weeks, with strict clean eating and no cheats, I was at the movies an hour ago and had a choc bar, I feel so guilty.. Im thinking of skipping dinner! I didnt even enjoy it like i usaully do.

Chocolate is healthy. Not kidding, it's done wonders for my skin and even removed allergy symptoms. But that's DARK chocolate (it's only really dark if it's over 70% cacoa.) Plus when you eat that it satisfies a sweet tooth and is wayyyy filling.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    tia530 wrote: »

If you believe in yourself and try hard, any size pizza can be a "personal pizza"... :DB)

Thats dedication though really

• arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just don't let it become a habit! :)
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Log it and move on. If you still eat as normal, you shouldn't surpass your maintenance calories. And maybe work small treats into your days in moderation, that way you don't feel the need to cheat.
    dieselbyte wrote: »

^This. "Clean eating" isn't responsible for weight loss. Caloric deficit is. "Cheats" or "treats" aren't responsible for weight gain. Excess calories are. Learn to fit the foods you like into your daily intake and drop the guilt.

I agree!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Please get some perspective otherwise its going to be a long journey in which you will have a bad relatiosnhip with food. Its a chocolate bar for goodness sake not 100 of them. You can burn 200 calories off with 20 minutes cardio or a 45 minute walk.

Feeling guilty is pointless. Going without dinner alters your nutrition plan. Just factor the calories in over the week log it and move on. All you need to do long term is keep taking more steps forward than back. Worrying abiout slips is counterproductive, especially something so small.
  • katieobrienps300
    Options
    If you're feeling super guilty, then go for a run, bike, or swim. I view treats in the week a reason to go further, faster harder.